Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I recently upong arriving hom the night before last (12 Jan) after a 70mile journey got the "alternator workshop" flash up on my dash. I was low on fuel and have read this may have been due to the car nearing stall, but more likely the battery or more probably the alternator going!

Anyway, today, this morning, as I go to start he car I have the PLEASE REFUEL light come on and I hear the fuel pump go, but can't click over the car to start ....

The AA(I just signed up now) will charge an extra £79 to come out immediately, however if I wait 48hrs it will be ok. I thought since I am at home, I would seek advice and see what I can do!

I'm very new to cars, so have no idea what to look for etc so apologies for the n00b questions!

Anyone have any ideas what I should try to do / look for?! Anyone passing by Longfield, Kent? :D

Naut [:(]

·
Registered
256 Posts
woops double post... 4 litres should be enough to start it. Does starter turn over?

You could put out a message asking for anyone with VAG com in Kent. Maybe one of the guys could scan it for you over the weekend....

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The starter does not turn. All the lights on the dash come up .. I hear the fuel pump go when I open the drivers door but the "please refuel" light remainds ..

If I am looking at a new alternator how much would they be? Good idea re vagcom! Hopefully someone will read this !!!

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Car does need a service and flashes up "service now" but would that be a deliberate fail safe to ensure you do get it serviced ? I know I can remove the "service now" message, and I guess I would be back at the same issue ..

·
Registered
5,827 Posts
service indicator wont immobilise the car

you could try checking the connections on the back of the starter motor and check everything is tight there.

can you hear anything from the starter when you try and start it?

1 - 20 of 49 Posts