Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://uk-mkivs.net/forums/t/399895.aspx

MK4 golf 1.8 GTI Turbo

hi all, so following on from the above post where i had problems with spraying WD-40 onto the drivebelt, i realised the fuse box sitting on top of the battery had fried.

i've just changed the fuse box for a new one bought from VW, seems a striaght forward job, just a little arkward. box on and all (seemingly) connected, but NO power at all when trying to start her up. No tick over, Not even hazard lights, nothing at all. Ive put the battery on the mains battery charger, and it reads the battery is fully charged. All the cables, and relevant wires all seem to be connected. Is there something obvious I'm missing, or any ideas what the problem could be.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeh the alternator has been replaced. i rekon the fusebox melted because stupidly i sprayed WD40 onto the drivebelt after the new alternator was fitted, this caused the belt not to grip the alternator pulley, working the alternator too hard.

Ive checked all connections and fuses, but still cant get any power!!

·
Super Moderator
50,230 Posts
yeh the alternator has been replaced. i rekon the fusebox melted because stupidly i sprayed WD40 onto the drivebelt after the new alternator was fitted, this caused the belt not to grip the alternator pulley, working the alternator too hard.

Ive checked all connections and fuses, but still cant get any power!!
Bit of an odd diagnosis as there's no way an alternator can be forced to work harder because the drive belt doesn't grip the pulley quite as well as it should do.

If you put a voltmeter across earth and the end of this fuse away from the busbar (towards the top of the photo),does it show full charging voltage (over 14 volts) when the engine is running?

Posted Image

Chris.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts