Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Product manufacturers do issue certificates for skills in different tasks, like washbay technique, for example. This is one I saw while having Autoglym LifeShine applied to mine.

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
Are they qualified?
i dont think they are well some of them maybe ,

but im sure most anrnt and they always display a sign to say ,

we do not except responsability for any damage caused

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
nosaj: Ever heard of the McDonald's university where you can get a degree in Hamburgerology [:S]

Sugar79: Cool, wanna do mine? [:p]

·
Registered
811 Posts
lol shiuming, i cant do it anymore as i have a back injury (from a car crash 6years ago)

my back pain is getting worse, i even struggle to clean my own car, which upsets me as i really enjoyed car valeting, its quite satisfying in a way..

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
Big company franchise one's are trained, little independents probably
not ( info gained as I'm looking to join this bunch of people)

·
Registered
423 Posts
Valeting (& Let's not mince words - it's Car Washing!) is a transient occupation i.e. it has a high turn-over rate of employment... people who do it are in-between jobs or do it to supplement income etc.. i.e. people pass upwards & onwards.
Anyone can start their own 'valeting' business all you need is some chemicals to clean, plenty of water, a large enough area to use the power jet & a few guys willing to work in all conditions for little reward. As far as i'm aware there's no valeting academy or fancy certificates to be hung on the wall. The kids are given strict instruction on how to make the car shine with minimum effort & must do it within a set time.

In London it seems the majority of American-Style car wash establishments are staffed by migrant workers, particularly those from recent EU member states... maybe because they work harder & for less money, have lower expectations & make lower demands on their managers. As for the quality of work.. it really is what it is .. I just hate the way they have to wash the WHOLE car with only ONE dip of the mit! It seems an unwritten rule for them & i'm sure any valeting school (if one existed) would point out how this could damage your paintwork! It is an obvious cost/time saving, corner-cutter which I hate..

But if you're a lazy so & so then I guess they're a life-saver!

But qualifications??? I very much doubt you need a chemistry degree in order to mix the solutions!

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
I think you're confused between the 10 quid outfits that work from
petrol stations/car parks and proper mobile valleters that take pride
in their work and do it as a full time job

·
Registered
423 Posts
I agree.. I've been barking up the wrong tree.. It was the 10 quid outfits I was referring to... Apologies.

You're right the mobile valeters are different.. Years ago when my car was broken into there was glass everywhere.. These guys came out & made sure there wasn't a splinter left behind. They even had their compressor unit neatly piped into their bedford rascal! I was impressed.. since then i've never used them as I can't see them charging anything less than ?100 for a call out. But still don't think there's rocket science involved!

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
I think I've said before in a post about working as one, but my uncle used to do it for a living, until he took early retirement.

He always had nice cars, plenty of ??, very nice house with all the trimmings.

He only did work for all the local upmarket garages in the areas & some private work, & was considered to be "the best"

Once he did an interior valet for one guy on his 911, guy needed it doing quick, which he did for him........turned out the guy had raped a woman in the car, but the Police couldnt find any evidence, because he'd done such a good job [:O]

Back then there was none of these convict car washes, & I dont even think you could buy AutoGlym unless you were trade, how times change.

As for certs on the wall & training, there was none of that, just word of mouth .

I often think about jacking in this sweet warm office life & setting up, but I think these days 99% just want a quick convict car wash, or a full valet for ?14.95 in the local multi story carpark.

When I go in the Bullring car park they always stop me & ask if I want it "valeting", "are you fooking blind as well as stupid" I feel like saying, "does it look dirty" [:mad:]

·
Registered
423 Posts
?15 for a car park wash!!!? That is the Bullring Hammersmith & not the Bullring Birmingham I take it? If it isn't then I am disconnected with reality coz supermarket washes are a fiver!

I remember i used to hate the way you've just spent hours cleaning & waxing your car & some muppit wants to do your window at the lights!
Can't remember the last time i've seen a traffic light washer gang! They seem to be an endangered species these days!

·
Registered
811 Posts
the worst was back in the spring after spending a while cleaning, polishing and waxing the car, i went to sainsbury's, only to find when i got out the car, the guy who washes the cars in the car park come up to me and asked if i want my car cleaned!!! GRRRRR

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
Your uncle really sounds like he was the Wolf (pulp fiction)..
That has really made me laugh, I'd forgotten about that bit of the film..... pure class [Y]

My crap day has ended with a smile [:D], thanks

1 - 18 of 18 Posts