Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

Car trade insurance.

2K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  danwilson 
#1 ·
hi

basically my dads trade insurance is due for renewal and im in business with him and we are trying to get insurance so that we can both drive any vehicle, my dad has over 10years trade insurance. we mostly break cars for spares and also repair vehicles and sell them.

the problem we are having is my age. im 20 and been driving for 3 years with 3 years ncb no points no accidents etc so im not to bad.

we have managed without me being insured before but now im taking more responsibility within the business and i need to get insured so i can drive cars etc. also recovery vehicle will need to be insured. we have aorund 5 full time vehicles, and deal in over 100 cars a year.

danny

so has anyone got any ideas on where to go? it will be his policy as he owns the company and then me and another person as additional drivers.

would need to also be fully comp and 24/7

#2 ·
we use burrow humphries, not the absolute cheapest but will pay out and are really good service wise,

what alot of people dont realise though is theres different types of ins, there are trade policies, were you need to state the cars use, ie personal or business and if your pulled sometimes need to prove its business use not pleasure,

im a named driver on our policy so can drive anything, ours also covers any unamed over 25

#3 ·
basically we deal in buying scrap vehicles and dismantling them but we also buy/sell repair and repair customer cars.

its just to cover me if i buy a car instead of keep having to inform and add cars to my current policy

40 pounds a time.

going to mot station

driving recovery truck to collect some vehicles. Also would like to have a van for work rather than using the golf as its getting battered going down the bumpy lane at work.

only cover we need is

fully comp on named cars and 3rd party on anything else. also test drive cover.

police are a pain always pull my dad but his is also personal. so we would need personal bussiness etc.

ill give them a try

thanks jake.

#5 ·
My policy is with Nash Warren/Trident insurance, It covers me fully comp on any vehicle,

Also allows me to drive a Recovery vehicle (Not capable of carrying more than 2 cars)

Any car I have for more than 14 days I have to ring them so they can add it to my policy, It has my personal car listed on there but when going through the policy with the advisor he told me it covered me for personal & business on any car

#6 ·
cheers chris ill give them a ring.

the 14 day rule of where you ring up and it takes another 2 weeks to go on.

my renewal should be around £600 for just the golf but i would rather pay more and be covered for everything.

out of curiosity jake how much did it cost to add you to the policy?

#7 ·
Try tradex direct, i was with them for the last 5 years or so. I used to buy and sell from home, easy service to use soon as you purchase a new vehicle you just text the reg in and it goes on your policy.

Carefull though, you will risk losing all your current 3 yrs no claims if you go on trade insurance for too long ...... pure scammers!!!!

This is how i ended up driving for 13 years daily and lost ALL my no claims!!!!

1997 started driving at age 17 .... built up 8 years no claims.

2003 changed onto a traders policy ....... built up 5 years no claims trade.

2008 return to normal insurance due to no longer trading and find out my 8 years normal no claims have expired AND my 5 years trade no claims bonus mean nothing..... back to ZERO no claims.

So 13 years of no claims bonus's .......... meaningless!!!!!.

Classic example of who the real insurance scammers are.

#8 ·
ive used most of these companys over the years mate

at the min im with dna insurance 3rd party fire n theft upto 15 cars on 1 policy (small buisness) demonstrators full sports and performance cover including import group 20+ cars , upto 40k in value and i also have full bike cover also as im a bike licence holder 1 years no claims as i lost them £750

granted im up for renewal in march and with the 31% increase everyones seeing im dreading renewal this year [help]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.