Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the car struggled to start this morning i think it might be the battey anyone elses strugle on the gt tdi 130 to start,thanks

·
Registered
988 Posts
Whats the temperature outside where you are? and how old is you battery?

could be just that the battery is a bit weak - most small cars (including mine) take a second longer to start when the battery is cold, its to be expected - but if battery is getting over 4 years old may be worth getting a new Bosch one and keeping it for a bit incise your gives up - if yours lasts then return the new battery to halfords or similar.

If its very cold where you are, then it could be that you diesel is 'gelling' but I think this is unlikelly unless you are in a VERY cold area (-15 or worse)

·
Pauper with big ideas
2,041 Posts
Cold weather does effect batteries- remember its a chemical energy storage device, if its cold the reaction will be slower.

Waxing is possible, but highly unlikely- if I remember correctly, modern diesels are good for well below -15, but it does depend on the fuel. Don't VW's have a fuel heating system anyway? *Checks reference book.*

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks yes dont no how old my battery is i think its just the cold weather cos i live in north wales and it was -12 last ngt thanks lads

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
mine didnt struggle, but it did turn over slower this morning after being left for a few days. it was also minus 11 tho so ill let it off!

·
Registered
379 Posts
My car wouldn't start this morning, last time I drove it was Thursday evening, so I think my battery is past it's best. I've looked all over the battery to find some indication of the age of the battery but just can't find anything that resembles a month and year.

From what I've read I think I'm going to get a Bosch Silver Plus replacement, just need to pop outside and double check and see if the S5013 model will fit in the battery box.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts