Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Quote: posted by sutherlandm on 07/02/2005 11:54:32

A lot of Golfs seem to be being nicked at the moment.

Sorry to hear about it Shane - Is car crime bad in Dublin generally?

It's terrible here in Bristol.

I didn't think it was bad but when I rang the police and insurance they didn't bat an eyelid - reckon'd it was becoming pretty widespread these days. Apparently the 5 door GTI's is a favourite getaway car for robberies.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I Quote: posted by Foxy on 07/02/2005 00:20:15

I'm so sorry to hear that mate......

But after you've got over the shock and you realise your parents are unhurt and likely just shaken, you'll probably be OK with the fact that the car is insured and can be replaced.

I know it sounds like "how the hell would you know" but i've been on the receiving end of theft, and know that material things can be replaced......loved ones cannot.

I hear what you're saying and agree 100%. Cars can be replaced so no point losing sleep over it :)

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Quote: posted by Mart4875 on 06/02/2005 18:50:24

Mate your news makes my blood boil [:(!]. Think long & hard about not getting another Golf. As Carlos says theres plenty of nice models for sale [;)]

I would consider another golf but it's a matter of finding the right one in ireland - would like a DBW with leather heated recaro's but then I'd have to get the TT linkages, modify the cable catches, cut the gear shaft, lower it and to be honest I think I'd prefer to get another VAG car (TT or S3) and do same instead of just repeating the last 6 months.

Really I suppose I have no clue what I'm going to do.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Quote: posted by niknak on 07/02/2005 10:51:02

wan*ers

Sorry to tell you fellow Golf owners but most Mk4s are easy to get into in seconds due to a major security flaw. My advice is to get an additional immobiliser or tracker or a security mod from VW. I'm due to get one asap. Just moved house so saving my coppers. Hopefuilly get one before anything happens. I got a mate who works for VW and gotta say it made me sick when he explained.

I won't tell you how obvously but trust me - get additional security before the barstewards have a go on yours.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Quote: posted by dazza291970 on 07/02/2005 23:40:14

Scum!

Sorry to hear your news, glad nobody hurt.

My keys are kept in kitchen, right next to my dobermanns bed.

He really dislikes being woken by strangers in the middle of the night.

Maybe I should get a big feck off dog as well as a new car [8)]

Anyway it looks like the Golf is back on the shopping list - I had a long hard think about it all and to be honest I couldn't think of anything with the same potential (understated looks, recaro leather interior, engine tuning potential etc.) for the same reasonable money. I do have an option on an S3 but at ?30,000 it's double what I'd spend on a Golf and insurance would be way more too.... maybe a Revo'd golf with an SPS2 and tracker would be a good compromise.

Anyway cheers for all the feedback - always get great advice on here [8D]

21 - 28 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.