Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've recently switched from Autoglym stuff to Megs NXT Tech Wax topped with Harly Wax with fantastic results.  I plan to do a proper wash at least every other week.  I'm not sure what to do about the wax though.  It seems logical to top up with Harly wax regularly rather than use NXT which would remove the Harly with its cleansers.  Would doing that say once a month be enough to protect the paintwork?

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
I wash and wax nearly every week.

Wash with NXT and wax with either Poorboys Nattys blue or P21 depending on the forthcoming weather. Nattys looks good and lasts 2 weeks or so, P21 looks great but lasts about a week. Every 6 months or so I'll wax with Collinite for long last protection. This is generally on top of Moosewax hand glaze too.

The wheels get Poorboys wheel sealent every week and a collinite top coat every now and then. (mirror polished TT comps)

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Didn't know P21 only lasts a week.  I've read Harly lasts a bit longer but I guess probably won't stretch to a month in this weather.  How long does NXT Tech wax last?  Being synthetic polymers I'd expect/hope it to last at least a month.  Autoglym SRP did.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Mines outside 24/7 - me dad refuses to clear out the garage full of his crap.

Mine is washed every week or two but the wheels are washed every week to prevent any dust build up or marking, even though they have 4 coats of poor boys sealant on. And bbs anni wheels are a nightmare to polish so dont get me started.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Harly's should lat a month I'd have thought. It will be more durable than the NXT as I've found that doesn't last at all well.

For ultimate protection you are best going with an acrylic sealant like Klasse or one of the Collinite waxes for ultimate durability.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Harly's should lat a month I'd have thought. It will be more durable than the NXT as I've found that doesn't last at all well.

For ultimate protection you are best going with an acrylic sealant like Klasse or one of the Collinite waxes for ultimate durability.
Thanks. If I've topped NXT with a coat of Harly does that mean the Harly wears off first followed by the NXT? For example let's say the Harly takes 4 weeks to wear off and the NXT another 2 weeks giving 6 weeks of protection? Or does it not work that way in practice?

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
As above, use Collinite.

I can't recommend it enough.

The NXT smells nice but simply doesn't last. The Collinite smells like fly killer which means it has to be good. It is, you get super beading which really does last last.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sound like I'll have to get some Collinite. Would applying Harly on top of the Collinite give a better wetter shine? I look the stuff!

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
mine is out 24/7 but autoglym lifeshine - but I have better things to do with my life than spend time washing it so every few weeks valeter comes round and does it...in between I may do it and I may not

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
mine get al least a polish on the weekend but gets wax everyother week. iv just washed my car and dragged my step dads classic granada out the garage and got the golf in there waiting for a good go over see you in 3 hours lol

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just remembered I still have an unused bottle of AG EGP which I believe does more or less the same thing as Klasse SG.  If I layer this over the NXT it should give the car a couple of months of winter protection.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
mine get al least a polish on the weekend but gets wax everyother week. iv just washed my car and dragged my step dads classic granada out the garage and got the golf in there waiting for a good go over see you in 3 hours lol
You don't really mean polish do you, as in the mildly abrasive type for pre-wax prep?

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
well to be detailed about it mate.

clearkote yellow moose wax glaze

poorboys ex-p

megs gold glass and a good coat of it....

and now im nakered and getting a shower....

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
P21S & HARLY are both Carnuaba based waxes, & both will burn off in the heat of the sun, I doubt the P21S would burn off completely in a week here in the UK.

Collinite 476 is the best for long life, due to its chemical make up, however, if you want long life & a carnuaba type deep shine, then you should opt for the Collinite 915, this has a higher carnuaba content than 476.

An acrylic sealant like Klasse Sealant Glaze works wonders under a carnuaba wax, NXT is ok, but is nothing compaired to SG.

I keep my car outside 24/7 too, I wash her every week, & also give her a wipe over with a quick detailer, during the winter months I apply collinite wax maybe every 6 wks, during the summer when I'm using wax like Pinnicle Sourveran or Zymol Destiny, I'll reapply a thin layer of wax every weekend, or 2nd weekend depending on my schedule.

It also depends on what shampoo your using too, you need a wax friendly one, the new shampoo from Serious performance is very good, well worth trying [Y]

I applied some Collinite 915 to the car back on the 10th december 06, washed her down yesterday with some Serious Performance shampoo & gave her a quick wipe over with some Sonus Acrylic Spritz QD, dress the tyres with Pinnicle Onyx Gel

Dont look to shabby does she [H]

Posted Image

·
Registered
123 Posts
Just remembered I still have an unused bottle of AG EGP which I believe does more or less the same thing as Klasse SG. If I layer this over the NXT it should give the car a couple of months of winter protection.
AG EGP isn't really like Klasse SG or Carlack Longg Life Sealant. The Sealant Glaze is a pure acrylic selant. As such it is slightly tricker to apply (i.e a panel at a time buffing off as it hazes) but in by book gives a higher gloss and definately more durable finish.

It would probably layer over NXT fine, as it is a synthetic wax rather than carnauba so there shouldn't be any bonding issues.

Cheers Tim

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks guys.  I don't need something ultra durable that lasts many months, just don't wanna have to wax too often in this weather.  The car is coated in NXT + Harly now so I'll give them a chance to prove themselves before I spend any more on detailing products!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts