Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, the car is at Inchcape this morning for a 90k service. Just had a call from them saying that the sump nut is stuck / threaded. If they try to remove it, the likelyhood is that the sump will need replacing at ?200+. My issue is that the car has only ever been serviced at VW and this must have been caused by them!!

On top of that, he says that the rear washer jet is moving with the arm and needs a new motor......I've read here that it needs a repair kit so I think they're trying it on.

Please give me some advice!!!! What you would you do re; the sump nut?

Ta.

Dave.

·
Registered
135 Posts
The sump plug would only have been put in wrong by the last person to change it. If they did that then you can ask for a parts warrently claim against the service dept and get it changed FOC. If the jet is moving with the wiper then the spindle is just stuck in the motor, you can get a repair kit but they're back order til mid March!!! Its not life threatening unless its broken off and leaking water into the tailgate, if this happens then the alarm will keep going off cos there's water in the electrics. They are tring it on a bit it seems... [:S]

·
Super Moderator
8,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cheers TDiMJ........must admit, that's what I thought about the nut. I'm waiting for their call now.

To be honest, I get the impression they're trying it on. There was a long list of things that they've come up with (new sump, new wiper motor, rear brake discs are badly corroded and need changing urgently)......funny about the brakes as it was MOT'd a couple of weeks ago and passed without problem! Funny about the wiper motor - I even asked about cost and availability of the repair kit, so I know it's available!

When I dropped her off this morning I was looking at a MkV http://www.inchcaperetail.co.uk/Used/UsedCarDetail.aspx?vehicle_id=394535&vehicle_id2=&vehicle_id3=&mControl=Standard ........with this sort of attitude, I don't think I'll bother with another VW!

·
Registered
437 Posts
Tell them you've spoken to VW Milton Keynes who have advised that the standard repair for this is a helicoil.

The garage is taking the piss - they must have done hundereds over the years [:mad:] [:mad:] [:mad:]

·
Super Moderator
8,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If they break it why can't they put a helecoil in it?
Forgive my ignorance (!) but is that a type of re-threading tool? [:$] pronounced heleeecoil or helerrrcoil????

·
Registered
135 Posts
Its Heleeeeeeeeecoil, but in my years in a dealership its never been advised by Milton Keynes or done by the service dept! Just ask for parts warrenty cos it's there muck-up. If the threaded the sump plug wrong they can give you a nice new shiney one FREE, why settle for a 2nd rate repair???

·
Super Moderator
8,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
True!!! Calling Milton Keynes to see what they say. Have reported the wiper motor issue too. Seems like they're taking the ****.....and I don't like it!

·
Super Moderator
8,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Right then, a quick update. VW Milton Keynes have basically confirmed what has been said here - the garage that carried out the last service is to blame for the sump nut and must pay for a new sump.

She also says that they repair kits are not for the problem that I have and only a new motor will fix it. Hmmmm. Still not sure on this one, will have to have a look at it at the weekend.

Thanks for all the advice so far.[Y]

Dave.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Just so you know Dave, my washer follows the blade, it was in this weekend just while i was finishing work and the boys in the workshop here said no worries, just check its not leaking from the jet inside the tailgate. It wasnt but they did a mod repair and put a new pipe on just in case. Your dealers are definately trying that one on!

·
Super Moderator
8,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just so you know Dave, my washer follows the blade, it was in this weekend just while i was finishing work and the boys in the workshop here said no worries, just check its not leaking from the jet inside the tailgate. It wasnt but they did a mod repair and put a new pipe on just in case. Your dealers are definately trying that one on!
Cheers. I don't think it's leaking as I haven't had the alarm go off (fingers crossed!!) but will remove the panel at the weekend to make sure. Still no call from the dealer [:mad:]......

·
Registered
874 Posts
I had the same rear wiper problem while mine was under warrenty and they fitted a new motor.  Wouldn't have thought they would do more work than necessary when I wasn't paying for it?

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Fitting the repair kit, which is relatively cheap, makes sense, unless you are charging labour at ?75 an hour, or so. then a quicker repair, fitting a motor assembly, costing around ?80 I believe, makes more sense.

The Helicoil thing is a matter of opinion. A properly done Helicoil repair is perfectly sound, but a new sump is obviously a better job. The fact that the thread is buddered is definitely down to them.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Fitting the repair kit, which is relatively cheap, makes sense, unless you are charging labour at ?75 an hour, or so. then a quicker repair, fitting a motor assembly, costing around ?80 I believe, makes more sense.

The Helicoil thing is a matter of opinion. A properly done Helicoil repair is perfectly sound, but a new sump is obviously a better job. The fact that the thread is buddered is definitely down to them.
As mentioned a properly done Heli-Coil is perfectly sound, and will not give any problems. The majority of light alloy aircraft components have Heli-coil inserts fitted, as fitting steel bolts into light alloy castings does not wear too well. The issue is that "you" didn?t damage the car, so why should you have to compromise. Get the dealer who damaged the sump to fix it. End of story.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

The washer repair is easy to do, once the tailgate trim panel is removed.

SB

·
Super Moderator
8,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Firstly, a big thanks to you all for the sound advice!

I've collected the car and they have indeed used a helicoil. I've asked them to note on the invoice re. the sump plug and they have put as follows:

"Sump plug v.tight. Re-thread sump plug & insert helicoil due to original plug v.tight. **Will require new sump if re-occurs** "

Looks like it's going to be a visit to the dealer that carried out the previous service and try to get a new sump out of them!

Once again, thanks for the advice [Y]

Dave.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I've got an old motor in the loft, the actual motor is burnt out but if you need something else from the unit then pm me.

·
MK7 Golf R
1,011 Posts
The problem is you took your car to Inchcape!

My advice is to keep well away from that dump of a franchise

1 - 20 of 22 Posts