Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to change the battery on my 2001 Golf GTi 1.8T.

Is there anything I need to be aware of beforehand?

My stereo might need the security code inputting but I have this.

Anything I need to do re: ECU, Alarm, Immobiliser or anything else beforehand?

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
ECU, alarm and immobiliser (assuming standard VW) are all fine and unaffected by having the battery disconnected. Your windows might lose the one-touch feature immediately afterwards, but putthem all the way down, then all the way up, and that should restore it.

Can't think of much else, take the negative off first and you can't really go wrong pal.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ECU, alarm and immobiliser (assuming standard VW) are all fine and unaffected by having the battery disconnected. Your windows might lose the one-touch feature immediately afterwards, but putthem all the way down, then all the way up, and that should restore it.

Can't think of much else, take the negative off first and you can't really go wrong pal.
Appreciate the reply.

Just looking through old forum posts to see if there are instructions on how to do this as I'd rather not get into it and come a cropper with the battery dis-connected for longer than necessary.

Have you done this? Anything practical to watch out for?

Edit: After a bit of a search, found this old 'How to' which should do the trick: http://uk-mkivs.net/forums/p/91361/641252.aspx#641252

·
Registered
36 Posts
This might not happen to you, but my throttle body lost it's setting, and didn't re-learn when the new battery was connected, end result was a lot of hunting. Needed a vag-com realignment after a good clean. Not much you can do to prevent that I guess !

1 - 4 of 4 Posts