Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As above, last night between 9pm and 10, the alarm was just going off constantly, so i got in started the engine for a bit and then locked it again and it seemed to have stopped. Then 4am this morning it starts again, so my mam barges into my room and gets me up to sort it out, so the only thing i could do was keep it unlocked all night. Its a good thing my parents live in a quiet village in cornwall where car crime is non-existent.. If i was still in Bristol i would be fecked!

Anyway, what could be the problem.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
A leaker rear washer pipe that has corroded the boot lock contacts can often be the problem. Did you try disabling the interior sensors (button on trim by driver door)?

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did you try disabling the interior sensors (button on trim by driver door)?
Where is that? i cant find what you mean.

The washer thing was leaking a while back, but i had it fixed so i dont think it can be that.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
The button is at the bottom of the side pillar.  The corrosion will take a while to take affect, so the leaker washer being fixed does not mean that the water that did leak did not cause the problem after the event.  Do a search on the boot lock, loads of people have had the same problem.

·
Registered
309 Posts
man i have the same prob at the min i just have to dead lock the car
with the remote at the min. when you say the lock is croaded by
the water does this mean a whole new lock has to be fitted.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Also by pressing the lock button twice that locks the car but doesn't set the alarm
I've always wondered about this but i can't work out what the manual says. from what I understand, as long as you use the remote, the alarm will arm. if you press it twice though, the deadlocks do not operate, so you can still unlcok the car using the inside handles.

to lock the car without the alarm can't you jsut use the manual key?

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
man i have the same prob at the min i just have to dead lock the car with the remote at the min. when you say the lock is croaded by the water does this mean a whole new lock has to be fitted.
You can repair the old lock in some instances, do a serach for people that have done it. If not a new lock is pretty simple to fit.

·
Registered
287 Posts
If it's any help, the fuse for the interior light is also the alarm. Fuse 14 on my car (2003). You could pull this in the meantime! I think it's also for the remote central locking, so you would need to use the key to lock the car.

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
When my rear washer died, no matter what I did (lock with remote - 1 press or 2, lock with key, interior monitoring switch on, or off etc), the alarm kept going off. In the end, whilst I was waiting to get it fixed, I unlocked the car, opened the front and rear driver's side doors, pressed the lock button near the driver's electric window control (which locks all the doors except the driver's), shut the drivers door, reach in through the rear drivers side door and push the driver's door knob down, then shut the rear passenger door. The car looks locked, and sort of is. It's a bit long winded, but it worked.

The interior monitoring switch is just back a bit from where you would put your hand if you wanted to adjust your seat height.
I don't see how that would affect the boot lock though, because it just turns off the sensors in the passenger compartment.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
I don't see how that would affect the boot lock though, because it just turns off the sensors in the passenger compartment.
It would narrow down the fault to the locks if the alarm still went off with the interior sensors off. Simple fault finding.

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
Good point. I assumed that the interior light not working was a definite sign of the door switch.
Am I missing something? How do you know his interior light does not work?
No, it's me. I was posting on another thread at the same time (someone whose car locked itself I think) and I'm getting confused.

·
Super Moderator
50,204 Posts
As far as I'm aware,unless it's disabled in VAG-COM,locking the car from any door or via the remote will set the alarm,but it can only be disarmed fully either from the remote,or by unlocking the drivers door with the key,and then turning the ignition on within 20 seconds,and the alarm as such is all part of the central conveniance module,which also controls the window closers and central locking.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ive tried everything it says in the manual, pressing lock twice on the remote, and turning the key twice in the lock, but nothing works. What makes it worse is that, yesterday i had the car locked for hours without the alarm going, then it just decides to go off at 3 am and woke me up. Its so temperamental.

The only thing i can do is leave it unlocked, which is ok if its in the driveway, where i live. But it means i cant go out anywhere.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Did you read my post further up about pulling the fuse? You can then secure your car. This was the only way i could when the rear wash wipe leaked on the boot sensor.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I had the fuse in and out several times and it didn't cause any probs. The fuses (on my car) are in a compartment at the end of the dash. You will only see it with the drivers door open. Luckily my car was under warranty when i got the problem with the rear wash wipe, so VW repaired it and then put the fuse back in.

I can't tell you how to fix the alarm prob, but if yours is the same as mine and you pull fuse 14, then you can disable the alarm so that you can then just lock the car with the key. You'll know it's disabled when you hit the button on the key fob and it doesn't lock the car. Then you can hopefully get the alarm repaired and stick the fuse back in! In the meantime you can leave your car secure!![:)]

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Right my car does not have a fuse 14, its a 99 1.6 8v.

But, do you know what symbol represents the fuse you need to pull (see the lable on the flap thing)??

1 - 20 of 27 Posts