Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

Can't get to site from normal dial-up.

3K views 36 replies 7 participants last post by  Richard W 
#1 ·
Since the change of server, I have not been able to get on to this site from my usual ntl dial-up. At first I just thought it must be off-line, but then noticed posts for the evening times when I logged on at work! Tonight, after failing to get on from ntl, I tried from a free dial-up number and got on - That's how I'm on now. So, any ideas why I can't get on from ntl? I've tried everything I can think of - deleting cookies, re-writing the address, using different links etc. Nothing works - I'm stuck now. Please help! [V]

#33 ·
The situation for me is that I can occasionally get to the site from my Scarborough ntl dialup, but, since the server change, I have never been able to get on from my Lincoln ntl dialup. Access from other free dialups, or my connection at work (which I very rarely use!) has not been affected.

#35 ·
Finally had a reply from NTL 6 weeks later[:(!]:

Dear customer

This could be a problem connecting with the websites server. To rectify this you can try setting

up a proxy server on your connection.

Open the Control Panel

Double click "Internet Options" (new window should open)

Click on the "Connections" tab (at the top of window)

In here you need to s elect the dialler you use, should be something similar to "ntlfreedom

(default)"

Click the "Settings" button (to the right)

Tick the box "Use proxy server for this connection"

In the address put "62.255.0.8"

In the port put "8080"

Click "OK"

Hope this helps!

Ricey.org

NTL support

I'm going to try it at the weekend so I'll let you know....

It's not stopped me signing up with Virgin[:D]

#36 ·
Thanks Richard, I should be able to try that tonight. I'll let you know if it works. I've now gone BB, at Scarborough, with TalkTalk (Carphone Warehouse) 512 unlimited for ?19.99, including, for the first year, free phone calls to landlines in UK, Australia, Canada and USA. I'll be converting down here in Lincoln in the new year.

NTL have provided a good dialup service, except for their customer relations, which are a black hole. I also had a disputed debt with them, which they passed off to a heavy handed debt collecting agency, despite having an open continuous authority on my credit card. Had to write to the MD in the end, to call the dogs off.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.