Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

Can't get to site from normal dial-up.

3K views 36 replies 7 participants last post by  Richard W 
#1 ·
Since the change of server, I have not been able to get on to this site from my usual ntl dial-up. At first I just thought it must be off-line, but then noticed posts for the evening times when I logged on at work! Tonight, after failing to get on from ntl, I tried from a free dial-up number and got on - That's how I'm on now. So, any ideas why I can't get on from ntl? I've tried everything I can think of - deleting cookies, re-writing the address, using different links etc. Nothing works - I'm stuck now. Please help! [V]

Discussion starter · #6 ·
Thanks Jon - you've at least proved I'm not alone with this. Well, back at home in Scarborough, on another PC with ntl dial-up and I've got the same problem again. There must be a lot of people out there with ntl dial-up who can't get back on. The screen tells me "Cannot find server or DNS Error". Does this mean anything to anybody? I know it's no good asking nt hell. [V]

Discussion starter · #12 ·
I get the same IP address with tracert, both from ntl and Free Dial-up. Can anything be done by the Forum, or does it have to be ntl re-setting their equipment? Don't hold out much hope of that!

Discussion starter · #18 ·
Quote: posted by DBGTTDI on 25/10/2004 12:02:07

putting on my support hat - I don't think anyone said they could ping the site, just that they saw the correct ip. Could be that they had 100% packet loss but will still be shown the correct destination address.

Same with tracert - they only said they got the same ip's not that the address resolved fully on both.

This is exactly how I see it.

[legend]

talk-tourque - have you still got the problem as foxy's last post suggests NTL are onto it.

Haven't had chance to try on ntl today. What does CTRL>F5 do?

Discussion starter · #20 ·
Quote: posted by Foxy on 24/10/2004 17:34:05

Roger.......mine's working fine now and i didn't change anyhting!

CTRL>F5 and try again

Is there an alternative key in to CTRL>F5. I'm on my laptop down here in Lincoln and I don't think the function keys do the same. Anyway I've tried all combinations and, so far, nothing works. Technology meets brick wall. [V]

Discussion starter · #21 ·
OK, In desperation, I have sent the following e-mail to ntl:-

"An internet site which I have been accessing frequently, for some time, has recently changed it's host. Since then, I can no longer get access. Some investigation, by myself and the website administrator, leads us to believe that ntl servers are rejecting the IP address of the site, as it is a new "70" series number. The website is www.uk-mkivs.net and it's IP address is 70.84.251.74 . Could you please check this out, and make any adjustments necessary, or let me know if you think the cause of my problem lies elsewhere."

I am NOT holding my breath!

Discussion starter · #30 ·
Well, I can't get on through ntl from Lincoln or Scarborough now - things are getting worse! Surel ntl know they have a problem? I guess the trouble is, they've got more than just this problem. I will e-mail again. [V]

Discussion starter · #33 ·
The situation for me is that I can occasionally get to the site from my Scarborough ntl dialup, but, since the server change, I have never been able to get on from my Lincoln ntl dialup. Access from other free dialups, or my connection at work (which I very rarely use!) has not been affected.

Discussion starter · #34 ·
Tabs, did you give that server a good kicking at lunch time. Have I been giving ntl a hard time for nothing? Just got on from Lincoln ntl dialup for first time since server change! Hope it's fixed, one way or the other. [|)]

Discussion starter · #36 ·
Thanks Richard, I should be able to try that tonight. I'll let you know if it works. I've now gone BB, at Scarborough, with TalkTalk (Carphone Warehouse) 512 unlimited for ?19.99, including, for the first year, free phone calls to landlines in UK, Australia, Canada and USA. I'll be converting down here in Lincoln in the new year.

NTL have provided a good dialup service, except for their customer relations, which are a black hole. I also had a disputed debt with them, which they passed off to a heavy handed debt collecting agency, despite having an open continuous authority on my credit card. Had to write to the MD in the end, to call the dogs off.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.