Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right, heres my new car! I suppose I better give you some of the highlights!

- Hole in front bumper (bout an inch wide, not gonna bother with)
- Stone chip in windscreen (insurers will fix for me)
- Rust bubble on front driver side wheel arch
- 2 dent's in driver side of car, not that big at all, but noticeable.
- Couple of deep scratches
- Corroding wheels
- Cracked lower headlight covers

[:D]

Posted Image

Sooo, for any of you who don't know! I just have to make this quite clear, this car is a stop gap. I am buying my first place, they don't like car finance or anything which you pay monthly. Getting rid of my 1.8T means I have free'd up ?3000.

I'm now going to try and polish a turd. Get rid of the scratches, it doesnt look like it's ever had a wax in it's life, the sun is just doing it justice in the pic. The seller has given me new fog light blanking plates and 2 new front indicators, a new set of mud flaps too.

Going to diamondbrite it, then finish that off with a vanilla moose hand glaze to get rid of swirls and light scratches then use some poorboys SP1 sealant on it. I'll release the new pics when I am done.

Inside is awful, as in interior is just pants, so don't know what i can do in there really! Not knackered, just think the MK3 interior is pants, but I am used to the MK4 cabin!

So, now onto you guys. I do NOT want to spend any more money on this car really, though the wheels are letting it down in a big way. I am prepared to spend ?100 on wheels. What do people think of the black steelie route on this car? Next to the grey paint. Also, as the wheels are corroding, I have noticed they are black underneath anyway? Can I rub these down and spray paint them? Will the paint last?

Or, would you just look at it as a stop gap, A-B car for 6 months and leave the wheels corroding?

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Nice looking car, mate. Good colour too.

TBH, I wouldn't waste anymore cash on it. You're gonna have it for 6 months and already it's got newish tyres all round. Wouldn't bother sorting out the corroding wheels or if you must source a set from the breakers. Btw, iirc, I thought you were anti-steelies man?[:D]

Just give it good detailing session and hope it runs like a dream.

You need all the cash you can get when you buy your home.

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
You need to work on bare paint to deal with the swirls and stuff before using any paint sealing product like DB, as that will just make it look worse. Clean up the existing wheels, they'll scrub up nicely.

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am...erm, was anti steelies man. But as I have steelies now, I can't really be anti them!

It's not so much the fact that I haven't got any money, it's more to do with the fact that mortgage people prefer me to have no debts. I'm a high risk. Self employed, and with shared ownership they can't reposess the house should I nnot be able to keep up repayments.

So, as I had other financial commitments, they said unless I get rid of them, they basically won't entertain me....therefore, one old golf!

The stop gap element is basically as soon as I have my house which I'm hoping for, when I have done all the decorating and new furnture, just buy a car I like again. Bit of a silly way to do things, but the only way really. I can see myself keeping this one though as a second run around. The MPG with todays prices is just far too good.

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You need to work on bare paint to deal with the swirls and stuff before using any paint sealing product like DB, as that will just make it look worse. Clean up the existing wheels, they'll scrub up nicely.
I'm not so sure.....ok this is the worst one, but I'm up against quite a challenge there...

·
Registered
918 Posts
I would just like to confirm one thing.  This is just a stop gap car, yes?  It's not very clear from the posts.

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
I'm not so sure.....ok this is the worst one, but I'm up against quite a challenge there...
Cripes! Yeah, er, OK then. I'm sure those are only painted steelies though, why not sand them down and paint them, ooh, yellow [:D][Y] What about the calipers?

·
Registered
918 Posts
It HAS to be pointed out! Its a stop gap!!!!
Meaning that you'll be replacing it soonish then.

·
Registered
5,416 Posts
You need to work on
bare paint to deal with the swirls and stuff before using any paint
sealing product like DB, as that will just make it look worse. Clean up
the existing wheels, they'll scrub up nicely.
Give the wheels a quick wire brush down and a quick sand dust off the
dust lol and then give them a quick lick of paint and laquer and voila
job done... heres a link of when we refurbed our monty 1's.. a few
years back

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/443937/15

Sat

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It doe's look a hell of a lot better in the dark. Me and my mate were admiring it in the pitch black with just the headlights on, looks pretty nice then [Y]

However, we did discover though that you have to have the door closed to admire and achieve its full beauty, otherwise the pesky interior light comes on, ruins the beauty of it all then!

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
For the wheels, paint them matt black and then put on some mk4 Golf wheel trims, or those off the late mk3 Ventos, should easily transform the looks.

P.S. you have email.

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
The MK3 interior isnt that bad... although when I had mine I had to get rid of the horrid blue interior for a GTI one then is was okay.

I agree just sand the wheels down and give them a quick paint if its only a temp car it shouldnt matter what the paint will end up like in a few months.

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
I used to make a living of selling used cars my advice is forget about the paintwork for now....

first thing get it on axle stands.... open the doors and scrub and jet
wash all the arches door shuts, hold the jet wash only an inch away it
will get it real clean, like from the factory sills, bonnet
shuts,
caliopers......... next

next get some aerosol steel wheel paint... mask the wheels of and clean all the crud of with a wire brush

paint them dont worry about the finish, just give light cotes so they dont run.

next set to the interior....... rent a rug doctor ftom johnstnes.....remove the seats

spary the headliner with TFR or watered down virosol then shampoo with the rug doctor

next do the same to the door panels and seats, do again if needs be.

Use a bucket of Virosol and hot water and an old chamois to wipe strip
all the old plastics of crud and old cleaning stuff from all plastics
inside the car... dont forget the nasty deads skin on the indicator
stalk, and use a toothbrush on bits you cant get.

(Thats why I said remove the seats)

replace the indicator with non orange ones....

polish all door shuts with Autoglyn Suoer Resin (Its cuts and waxes so is easiest on door shuts and closed areas)

put some new mats in......

As for the wheels have a think about some Beetle Steelies AKA TABS
Anni.... possibly the best route as you will get 4 tyres aswell for ?80
ish

Then do all your stuff with the polish and paint..... but make sure its clean everywhere first

De grease the engine aswell and silicone all plastics..... probably mean you would make on the car
It
also makes it easier to live with not sitting in someone elses
muck..... this will make a much bigger difference to a 10 year old car
than swirl free paintrowk

1 - 20 of 45 Posts