Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As title really, is there any way to connect an MP3 player into the standard Gamma head unit, either when required, or permanently hard wired?

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is it this one http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=77&cadid=6a1b9791070379defdce80a5ab5e5876

and not this one http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=2191&cadid=6a1b9791070379defdce80a5ab5e5876 ???

The Gamma head unit is Blaupunkt isn't it, so will this work?

On installing, does this plug into a CD-changer socket on the back of the Gamma head unit, then can you press the 'CD Changer' button on the front to s elect the MP3 player as input source?

ANyone done this too?

·
Registered
175 Posts
Ment to post this up a while back but I worked on a 55 plate VW beetle the other day and they have tarted a few things up on it to stop it getting old, a face lift really and 1 of the things now is an ipod socket in the dash connecting it the factory HU, which is just a Gamma unit with a diffrent face on the front. I removed the HU and the input was on the mini iso plugs forgot which one and was also included in the diagram printed on the HU.

Was wondering if the face plates could be swapped, all you do to make it work is keep pressing the CD button to scroll round till you get the extra input. I didnt have too much time to play around and pull stuff in bits but could be worth investigating ??

Also the alarm remote was a 3 button version with boot open function, but the car is still a mk4 really, comfort moduel was still the same ect so maybe it can be done with just s few new bits and a reprogram ???

Again maybe someone could look into this ? - ill try have a better look on the next one i get to work on.

Cheers
Matt

·
Registered
288 Posts
Yep you can - I had a lead from ebay.de which enabled me to plug the mp3 into the cd changer socket.

Try a search for gamma aux on ebay.de.

I can't remember the sellers name - car-audio-systems.de or something like that.

[:)]

·
Registered
10,630 Posts
Is it this one
http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=77&cadid=6a1b9791070379defdce80a5ab5e5876

and not this one
http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=2191&cadid=6a1b9791070379defdce80a5ab5e5876
???

The Gamma head unit is Blaupunkt isn't it, so will this work?

On installing, does this plug into a CD-changer socket on the back
of the Gamma head unit, then can you press the 'CD Changer' button on
the front to s elect the MP3 player as input source?

ANyone done this too?
It's the top one that I was referring to.

It's a mini Iso plug, so it's just plug and play. No
hassle. If my memory serves me right, u plug it into the
AUX iso, which is empty on all Gamma's.

Plug it in, s elect AUX, and then play ur MP3 player.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Yep you can - I had a lead from ebay.de which enabled me to plug the mp3 into the cd changer socket.

Try a search for gamma aux on ebay.de.

I can't remember the sellers name - car-audio-systems.de or something like that.
[:)]
Was it this one ???

http://cgi.ebay.de/Line-IN-Aux-AUDI-SEAT-SKODA-VW-Adapter-CD-DVD-MP3-PDA_W0QQitemZ4576961543QQcategoryZ38736QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Anyone know whats under the heatshrink ???

Also Found this one !

http://cgi.ebay.de/VW-Beta-Gamma-Delta-CD-und-iPood-AUX-IN-Interface_W0QQitemZ4576833710QQcategoryZ38766QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Ohh Ohh and this one !

http://cgi.ebay.de/AUX-in-Adapter-fuer-VW-Audi-Delta-Gamma-Concert-II_W0QQitemZ4544853506QQcategoryZ76085QQssPageNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Home Brew ?

http://www.k9spud.com/vwcdpic/

Cheers
Matt

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Matt - all those seem to have 2 RCA leads on the 'mp3' end though, but it will need to be a 3.5mm headphone jack socket wont it? isnt that the only socket the mp3 player will output from:- i.e. through headphones?

It seems the top one in the Car Audio Direct links above has the right connectors, its just I've never had my Gamma out the dash, so dont know what plugs are on the back of it.

GTI Fly - On the Gamma you s elect CD or FM (for radio). When you s elect CD on the main head unit, the cd player unit is s elected as audio source. This is a seperate unit housed above the Gamma, heres a couple of pics robbed from ebay.....

Both Units:

Posted Image

Better pic of CD unit:

Posted Image

When you put a CD in the player, theres a light above the "CD Player" text; pressing the SELECT button on the left switches between the inserted CD, and the CD Changer, which would normally be mounted in the boot if there was one connected.

What I'm wondering is if the blue plug on the lead from Car Audio Direct plugs into a socket meant for the CD Changer feature, and then s electing this plays the input from an mp3 player.

Please, someone must know a definate answer to this.....[:S]

·
Registered
10,630 Posts
Ok, u should be able to plug the mini iso lead into either

Gamma's CD port, rendering the CD boot changer redundant

Or plug the mini Iso into the Single Slot Cd, and thereby
s electing the MP3 source using the 'Select' button on the single slot
CD player.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Let me see if I'm understanding this correctly........

If I plug the ISO (using the Car Audio Direct cable) into the back of the single cd unit, I can still play an inserted CD, and then pressing the s elect button would let me play sound from an mp3 player, as it would think this was a multichanger?

(I dont have a boot mounted changer already btw)

Have I got that right?

·
Registered
10,630 Posts
Let me see if I'm understanding this correctly........

If I plug the ISO (using the Car Audio Direct cable) into the
back of the single cd unit, I can still play an inserted CD, and
then pressing the s elect button would let me play sound from an mp3
player, as it would think this was a multichanger?

(I dont have a boot mounted changer already btw)

Have I got that right?
Yep thats right.

The single slot cd player also allows u to have a VW 6disc bootchanger
connected to it. U use the s elect button to alternate.

Infact i used to have this set up in my first Gti back in 2001 (Single CD +Boot changer ie, 6+1 CD's!!)

(and then VW come along and bring out the 6disc headunit in the Anni!!)
sods.

But yeah, u can have the MP3 plugged into the Single Cd, and use the s elect button to alternate

·
Registered
175 Posts
The RCA's are just how the adapters come, its still a low level input, its just how the cable is presented to you. A phono to 3.5mm jack cable will soon sort that out.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

<o:p> </o:p>

As for the adapters ? from what I have read from the DIY website link and its forum, the VW Gamma ? Beta?s need the special dongle inline to make it work as the unit has to be fed a signal to make it think there is another changer inline. The ones from Car Audio Direct will not work, they are only intended for use with aftermarket Blaupunkt units. Don?t forget some of the gammas are Sony some are Blaupunkt but they all look the same.<o:p></o:p>

Also the blue mini iso plug should just plug into either the back of your single slot load or your 6 disk slot load as they both have a pass though on the back for a boot mounted changer. If you don?t have a cd deck then it will just plug directly into the HU changer socket. You would then press the CC button bottom right of the 4 around TP as this is for the boot changer or just CD if you had no changer to start with.<o:p></o:p>

That is my understanding of how it all works <o:p></o:p>

Cheers<o:p></o:p>

Matt<o:p></o:p>

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Aah, was hoping that one from Car Audio direct would work......do I need one with something to send a constant signal then, like these magic dongles? wont it receive a signal when I start playing the mp3 player?

Anyone got any thoughts on this?

·
Registered
371 Posts
yeah i have the one bogstandard has, i bought it off him! it works fine quality wise the only thing is like he said you need to reset it sometimes!

By this i mean if your playing it (it plays through the cd button) and you flick to fm or am to listen to the radio then you switch back the mp3 player it wont work, you have to turn the radio off and back on!

This is only a problem though if like me you plug it into the back of the single cd player. If you dont have a single cd player and the socket is spare on the back of the radio to plug the adapter into then it works fine for some reason!

Its not really a problem just a bit annoying sometimes!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts