Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hiii guys and girls, i need a cry and a moan!

Basically, i got some cheap Blue LED side lights from halfords to go inmy car, the police pull me and say i can remove them and replace with a white or yellow bulb there and then, or face a fine.. I decided to replace them there and then, so i unclip the light unit and remove the led lights.. During this process i snapped a tiny little clip that holds the bulb in place, and now that one little LED doesn't work.. Bit frustrating but i thought, meh just a blown bulb or something... The police pull off and say goodbye so i set off home for some dinner etc

~The next day (after work) its dark, i get pulled again! this time for having a rear light out (the same side as the side repeater thats broke) So i explained to the officer how it wasn't like it last night etc he let me off, so i went home and had a look at all my lights, to find that my right side reverse light is now not working either ( this is now my right side repeater, right reverse light and right rear light dead)

i think hmm, wonder if i test the left Side light in the right sidelights place if it'll work, i did this and no joy, so when i come to put it back into the left side light slot it fell into the headlight... ughhh.

i went to halfords to see what they make of it, they wanted to charge me £25 to remove the headlight and get the LED out, i told them where to go with this, So i just purchased a rear light bulb. Put the new bulb in the rear... No joy... Check the fuses, all good.

So what do i do and how much will it cost,

TLDR: My side light on the right hand side has died, my right hand side reverse lights died and my rear light on the right side no longer works.

Ive changed all the bulbs and checked all the fuses, any other ideas? Does this sound expensive?

Tom x

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
In answer to your original question, yes, life can be a lot worse. I'm sure you'll get it sorted, it's not the end of the world
couldnt agree more

sorry i cant answer your question but am sure you could get it checked by a car electrician and also am sure chris will jump in anytime soon and help you out

·
Registered
153 Posts

Tom x
Easy with the kiss dude! What a nice guy! [:D]

I'm just messing, couldn't help a bit of harmless poking. If you can come to me, I can sort it for you FoC. Hope you get it sorted mate.......x [:D]

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the kiss back man, needing the fellow love in my time of need :), will have to be off the road for like tomorrow and get her sent to a garage.. more moneys :(( x

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
do you think that could be the problem though mate?

Seems a bit strange as soon as i "damage" my front LED holder that that stops working and my rear light and rear reverse light die too? fmll

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
buddy i don't even know what one of them is :(

Its just a standard mk4 99' golf, no mods to do with lighting.. :(

x

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
if an electrical problem/few blown bulbs on your car makes you feel like you should write "can my life get any worse"? then you either have not much of a life, are not old enough to even know what life is about or your actually quite odd. Either way, i would you suggest you get ya self a bus pass coz if this makes you feel so bad then your likely to commit suicide if your clutch goes or you need new brake pads!! [lol-lol]

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If you swap the rear clusters over,does the fault stay where it is,or move to the other side?

Chris.
hey man i will try this tomorrow and let you know how i get on, apprishiate you trying to help me as apposed to the other 2 clowns just trollin'

To the guy who wrote in his sentance " a small electrical fault..." that was all i wanted to know, wether its a little fault that will cost chuff all to fix or wether it might be costly. didn't want sarcasm.

cheers chris and the people above him, will let you know how i get on tomorrow x

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
Mate, if you come on a public forum asking if your life can get any worse over a friggin bulb issue you are going to get all kinda answers. As a known member on here I am 1 to speak my mind and generally, get respected for my honesty on and of the Internet. Take note of the smilies at the end oft post too, I ain't insulting you by calling you names I'm voicing my opinion.
If you don't like your replies then you don't have to answer them.
I need to go polish my extra large shoes and buff my red squeaking nose collection now. X x x

·
Registered
11,013 Posts
I have to say that if you don't want constant problems with a car, buying a Mk4 Golf was the wrong step! Hope you fix it soon enough, but sounds a simple enough issue to resolve.

Wigster.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I wish the only things i had to worry about was a bulb/rear light cluster not working. Can life get any worse? Course it can.

I'd advise you not to put show lights from halfords in your car as well, i'd expect the police to pull anyone with illegal bulbs.

·
Boost Junkie
1,534 Posts
so the front sidelight and rear tailight are not working after the front sidelight holder broke? sounds like a fuse to me... the sidelights (front and rear) per side share a fuse iirc its the top left of the fusebox..the mini-blade type fuses a 10A or 15A fuse (there should be two) check the two fuses and the 2 5A brown ones next to them (swap the two around if necessary and see if the fault moves to the other side!)

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Mine done this just yesterday, I'd change the fuses just to be sure thats what I done and it worked. [Y]

*edit* It was my Sidelight bulb that blew aswell

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Mate, if you come on a public forum asking if your life can get any worse over a friggin bulb issue you are going to get all kinda answers. As a known member on here I am 1 to speak my mind and generally, get respected for my honesty on and of the Internet. Take note of the smilies at the end oft post too, I ain't insulting you by calling you names I'm voicing my opinion.
If you don't like your replies then you don't have to answer them.
I need to go polish my extra large shoes and buff my red squeaking nose collection now. X x x

This is a fairly light hearted forum, dont take everything said to heart, it's only intended as fun. Did you really expect to have all serious answers about your problem when you title it 'can my life get any worse?' and then outlay a problem with bulbs? It is indeed a problem but not the end of the world that the title suggested.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts