Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now i know i'm probably gonna get this thrown back in my face from the mods because it's down to numbers and advertising here, but, am i the only one on here who has noticed that 90% of our "so called" members only have 1 if not ANY posts in their counts?

What the hell is that all about? WASTERS, that's what they are!!

Now i know you'll probably say "So what, why does it bother you?" Well, the fact is, it annoys me that our 11000+ listed members only really consists of only a few hundred GENUINE participating members! That's a false misinterpretation surely?

We don't REALLY have 11000+ members do we?! It's a few hundred regular posters!!!

So, why not delete all those accounts that have had little or no activity? Surely this would save some bandwidth?

And personally, i don't think it's right for them to be called "Forum members" when they don't participate EVER! [:mad:]

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
So, why not delete all those accounts that have had little or no activity? Surely this would save some bandwidth?
Lots of members login regular but do not post.....they have their reasons.....but it wouldn't save bandwidth if we removed their accounts!

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
I agree, surely its about time we got a better reflection of true
mebers, howabout just deleting those accounts that have less than 2
posts and are older than 12 months.....

I know its usefull to have 11000 mebers for advertising purposes, but
surely it would be a better leverage to say we have 5000 regualr
members and 3000 occasional users...

·
Registered
204 Posts
I think that the point is that many will not post (rightly or wrongly)
but still use the forum. Many seem to read for a long time then
eventually get round to posting. Some won't post again for a while but
if/when they do, it's good that their old account is still there. I bet
that in most cases (whether it's an internet forum or not), the number
of active members is a lot lower than the number of registered members.
Go down your local gym for example, see how many actively use the gym
and how many are registered. If it makes the place look a bit busier
than it is, then I dont consider that to be a really bad thing.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If it makes the place look a bit busier than it is, then I dont consider that to be a really bad thing.
Sorry but i do, it's a waste of time on everybody's account, ours and the mods!

Why sign up to a gym if you don't intend to use the membership??

And also, you're not telling me that that there are 10000+ members who just "read regularly" that's cr4p!

What's the point of just sitting back and reading the forum for months on end, why not post? It's not rocket science and if you own a MK4 then why not post something?!

I mean come on, if you can honestly take the time to find the bloody site then participate, don't just sit there like a lemon! Get involved!!

I don't care what people's reasons are for NOT posting, fact is, if they're NOT posting, they're a waste of time!

A member that doesn't participate is useless to the forum, they might aswell be invisible, and therefore are not required to be part of the statistics! [:mad:]

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Lots of members login regular but do not post.....they have their reasons.....
Well can i ask politely why you support this system then? Do you not agree that a non-participating member is useless?

Obviously they are, because they're not contributing in any way!

There should be a system in place whereby if you don't post within the specified time, you lose your account!

i.e. if you don't post say once a month, then you should be classed as a non-participating member and the account suspended until re-activation is requested!

Also, it seems to me that a lot of people have either signed for two reasons IMO...

1) Just to sell something, so that's purely for personal gain and obviously have no interest in this forum whatsoever, or

2) Just to get a username and say they're part of a forum, which is more pathetic than the 1st option!!

To me, it would make much more sense to have a realistic number of members and delete the useless accounts and then re-activate them IF and WHEN they do come back! [:)]

Surely people see my point, i want this forum to be a true representation of genuine enthusiasts, not timewasters!

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Many just join to place a for sale ad!!
Isn't there a minimum 5 post limit before they can use the classifieds?

I personally think that should be higher, maybe 50?

My thoughts would be, free to browse as a guest but a token payment
(?2.00 and a 'free' sticker?) to join and start posting, this should
separate the interested from the time wasters.

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
problem with limits and for sale things is you will then get people replying with no useful info just to get there post count up,

eg mate's on a vauxhall site and he was moaning about some bloke who joined 2 days ago and has an average of 80 posts a day all about nothing. so the current system is better in that respect.

I read more than I post as I prefer to only reply if I'm relatively certain that the response is correct (if of technical nature) Some people just use it as a resource for finding info.

I would also imagine alot of the 10k members are original members who have since moved on to pastures new

·
Registered
204 Posts
Fair enough RJH, I don't really disagree with anything you are saying.
I am just not sure why it is such a bad thing and how in fact it is a
waste of time. Is it really a problem for site administration? Is the
forum not up to handling the high number of members? Surely if they do
not post then they are not using a great deal of bandwith. I would
imagine that if it was a problem then Tabs or the other mods would have
said something.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I read more than I post as I prefer to only reply if I'm relatively certain that the response is correct (if of technical nature) Some people just use it as a resource for finding info.

I would also imagine alot of the 10k members are original members who have since moved on to pastures new
And that's perfectly acceptable as i'm sure a lot of people hold out until they're certain of giving an answer, but at least you're still participating!

But as for those who've moved onto pastures new as you say, then they aren't going to miss their account are they?!

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Fair enough RJH, I don't really disagree with anything you are saying. I am just not sure why it is such a bad thing and how in fact it is a waste of time. Is it really a problem for site administration? Is the forum not up to handling the high number of members? Surely if they do not post then they are not using a great deal of bandwith. I would imagine that if it was a problem then Tabs or the other mods would have said something.
That's quite true mate, and i'm sorry for keep ranting on about this, it's not really a problem to anyone i don't think, it just really gets MY back up, not anybody else's..

I want the forum to be a good place for decent honest users, and not brought down by those who do nothing and make it look bad!

Rant over! [:)]

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

My thoughts would be, free to browse as a guest but a token payment (?2.00 and a 'free' sticker?) to join and start posting, this should separate the interested from the time wasters.
Excellent ideas Gary! [Y]

·
Registered
920 Posts

My thoughts would be, free to browse as a guest but a token payment (?2.00 and a 'free' sticker?) to join and start posting, this should separate the interested from the time wasters.
have to agree[:)]

·
Registered
204 Posts
Fair enough RJH, I don't
really disagree with anything you are saying. I am just not sure why it
is such a bad thing and how in fact it is a waste of time. Is it really
a problem for site administration? Is the forum not up to handling the
high number of members? Surely if they do not post then they are not
using a great deal of bandwith. I would imagine that if it was a
problem then Tabs or the other mods would have said something.
That's quite true mate, and i'm sorry for keep ranting on about
this, it's not really a problem to anyone i don't think, it just really
gets MY back up, not anybody else's..

I want the forum to be a good place for decent honest users, and not brought down by those who do nothing and make it look bad!

Rant over! [:)]
It is really irritating, you are right. How many times do you see
people post about a problem asking for help, without seeing please,
without saying thankyou and then disappearing into the sunset? I think
that suggesting people having to contribute more before getting
involved in buying/selling seems a good idea.

·
Premium Member
25,430 Posts
I can see the point your making Ryan. Afterall there are probably only around 300-400 regular users of this website and that is infitesimal compared to member base we have built up already. We did perform a 'spring clean' with the old software before we moved over but only managed to clean out a few hundred users due to the time frame we specified.

The classifieds minimum post count is purposely set low to deter people from overly spamming the forums to get something posted. It's a fine balance with something of that nature so we do review it periodically to see if its still working. I'd say its working quite well, we do reject any ads from users who just join up to post. But then again they've joined up and never come back so it can add to the problem your trying to highlight.

This site has always been free to use and I'm a strong believer in that continuing. Our greatest asset is the fact that anyone can browse, join up and get involved and not have to incur any charges, payments or other methods of controlled access to use the forums. I'd like to say we're a diverse bunch, and the points I've just made only go to show how, by not having costs upon usage, we will continue to grow [:)]

·
Registered
2,534 Posts

have to agree[:)]
superb idea.

also being part of the forum allows you to have discount in places. and imo members who dont use the forum shouldnt be able to get discount untill after say 50 post or even 100 posts. I recived significant discount on my milltek for being a forum member.

·
Registered
352 Posts
The reason that I joined this forum was;-

1 It was the first time that I have had a mkiv golf

2 I wanted to see what was available for the car ie.modifications

3 I have had a few faults with the car and without forums like this I would need to pay garage bills for things that are described in great detail here on this particular forum.

I have to admit that I did only browse this forum for a couple of months before before I decided to join and have not listed many posts.I would be more than willing to make a donation for joining and recieve a sticker or two as this would also promote the forum.

I didn't realise until recently about the discounts and the group buys.

How many times have others browsed forums , not joined and only logged in once?

Hope I haven't upset anybody with these comment and I will try to post more often.

And to every body keep up the good work. Definately the best mk-iv site that I hae come across.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Sorry but i do, it's a waste of time on everybody's account, ours and the mods!
I think it would be a waste of time for the admins to go though deleting accounts. There is plenty of other things around here that probably need fixing first. Having a huge membership list does not slow down or kill the forum, it it the number of posts and people reading that do that.

·
Super Moderator
8,768 Posts
Just to fuel RJH's rant (!) I agree with his comments to a point.

However, I seem to remember a thread where a more frequent member stated that they didn't reply to members who had a post count of less than "x", to which other members agreed. Now, if this is the case, what's to encourage new members posting if their messages get ignored?

That being said, I totally agree with you in finding it frustrating that some low posting members only ever seem to post to ask about faults on their cars rather than joining in the forum as a whole and helping others out too.

Personally, I have to admit that I only found and joined the site when I was having a problem with the car but then began reading more often and now I try to post as often as possible and answer as many questions as my limited knowledge allows.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts