Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This might be a silly question but would it be possible to make the above BHP without a turbo conversion but with the following,

• Cat back Milltek exhaust
  • High flow 2.5" cat and downpipe
  • 4 bar fuel pressure regulater
  • ABD CAI
  • Forge Diverter valve
  • Forge front mounted intercooler
  • Forge turbo and coolant hoses
  • Forge intake hose (from MAF to TIP)
  • Uprated larger intlet manifold
  • Rolling road remap (Jabba, AMD, APR)

Anyone got any ideas if that could make thos figures

Joe[Y]

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ignore thatlast post from me!

So is anyone running near that power on standard turbo?

I know RS_GOLF used to run close to that any ideas mate?

·
Registered
811 Posts
This might be a silly question but would it be possible to make the above BHP without a turbo conversion but with the following,

• Cat back Milltek exhaust
  • High flow 2.5" cat and downpipe
  • 4 bar fuel pressure regulater
  • ABD CAI
  • Forge Diverter valve
  • Forge front mounted intercooler
  • Forge turbo and coolant hoses
  • Forge intake hose (from MAF to TIP)
  • Uprated larger intlet manifold
  • Rolling road remap (Jabba, AMD, APR)

Anyone got any ideas if that could make thos figures

Joe[Y]
I had all of the above that are in bold... and I know what your thinking, about adding every concievable bolt on to push things up. I went through the same phase and refused to listen to people that were telling me that its the turbo that is the restriction. Unfortunately is true - the regular KO3 wont get you there, whether you fit cams, flow the inlte manifold etc etc.. AND that would cost you a heap load more than fitting the KO3 sport.

I did all the bolt ons first and then uprated the turbo... low and behold - from 202 bhp to 235+ and a BIG difference from 4500 rpms to 6200rpms. In every gear that makes a difference to performance, in spite of numbers! Bite the bullet and go for a bigger turbo if you are intent on serious power... everything else is a waste of time really!

·
Registered
89 Posts
joe i now a place that can get the ko4-001 ie the bolt on 1 not mods to dp etc looks like ko3 mike does them for 950 i can get fot 400ish will give 250-260

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
joe i now a place that can get the ko4-001 ie the bolt on 1 not mods to dp etc looks like ko3 mike does them for 950 i can get fot 400ish will give 250-260
For that sort of dosh, I would be interested myself. Please tell me more, by PM if necessary [8-|]

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
The very same Turbo that EddyH ran on his AGU golf (Jabba mapped), such a shame I made more power with my mapped K03sport Golf (Revo) on the same dyno, same day, same for Stewarts K04-001 too IIRC :)
Also showed him a clean pair of heels on the way home.

I'm not so convinced that the K04-001 is worth the outlay.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
sort of like what someone else has already said mate. its not just the power differance from the ko3 and the ko3S its also that the car/power feels a fair bit differant and better....

i know of someone that can get a brand new ko3s from VW for about ?450 but its the fact that i would need to buy it off him then you buy off me and im skint at the mo lol.

if anyone is interested PM me and ill try and sort it. get the part so you can see it before you pay. plus it would be cash on collect. basicly the lad works at VW parts in the midlands area.

gray

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
The very same Turbo that EddyH ran on his AGU golf (Jabba mapped), such a shame I made more power with my mapped K03sport Golf (Revo) on the same dyno, same day, same for Stewarts K04-001 too IIRC :)
Also showed him a clean pair of heels on the way home.

I'm not so convinced that the K04-001 is worth the outlay.
Not the unit for me then given our cars run so similarly.

Remember Barry from our day at Crail Gary? He added a 3" Downpipe and an ATP (I think) manifold the other week and makes 252bhp now over the 238bhp he had with a 2.5" Downpipe and stock manifold. He should bust in to the 13's now [y]

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
cheers fella's,

Ive just been offered a K03s from an Octavia VRS with the Turbo inlet pipe for ?200 is that a good deal and will that bolt straight on?

Whats the max power you can get from a K03s?

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
cheers fella's,

Ive just been offered a K03s from an Octavia VRS with the Turbo inlet pipe for ?200 is that a good deal and will that bolt straight on?

Whats the max power you can get from a K03s?
As above. GaryM and I both have around 240bhp. Barry has made 250bhp with a different exhaust manifold on top of the Milltek turbo back, TIP, air in mods, FMIC etc. MKIVTurbo (Cameron) on here has an AGU MK4 GTi with a K03s, ATP mani, decat 2.5" system, Forge TIP, panel filter with large air feed, FMIC and also makes 240+bhp.

Gary and I both run 14.3 secs @ 99mph on the 1/4 mile. Barry in his Ibiza with 238bhp did 14.0 seconds @ 103mph.

Gary did air flow meter readings with a Forge TIP vs a stock tip and measured negligable differences between the two hoses. However, my car measures close on a 10bhp defecit with the stock hose vs the forge one, possibly due to the stock one collapsing under pressure. If you are going to do the turbo and tip anyway, for another ?250, you should think about an uprated manifold and TIP along with the turbo. You might see 250bhp rather than 240bhp with these just as Barry did with his Ibiza.

·
Super Moderator
9,133 Posts
personally i dont think its worth the hassle swapping a ko3 for a ko3 s . Here is a good company selling garret replacment turbos that are a dirrect fit . With these turbos yuwill have a lot more tuning potential for roughly the same price as the stealers charge for a turbo http://www.atpturbo.com/root/releases/release090105.htm
The only problem with going for one of those turbos, it not only do you have to pay the ?500+ for the turbo, but you also need to get it fitted. And if you still want driveability (eg only 240-250 bhp) you might as well just swap from a K03 to a K03s.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
personally i dont think its worth the hassle swapping a ko3 for a ko3 s . Here is a good company selling garret replacment turbos that are a dirrect fit . With these turbos yuwill have a lot more tuning potential for roughly the same price as the stealers charge for a turbo http://www.atpturbo.com/root/releases/release090105.htm
The only problem with going for one of those turbos, it not only do you have to pay the ?500+ for the turbo, but you also need to get it fitted. And if you still want driveability (eg only 240-250 bhp) you might as well just swap from a K03 to a K03s.
Dunno where you are getting ?500 from dude. ?1500 is more like it with all the bits needed to go with it.

http://uk-mkivs.net/forums/thread/599353.aspx

·
Super Moderator
9,133 Posts
Just looked at the cheapest price on the site for a turbo. lol. which was $900 or something like that. but anyway, it still proves the point

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Just looked at the cheapest price on the site for a turbo. lol. which was $900 or something like that. but anyway, it still proves the point
To get any noticable power gain over the K03s, you are going to need at least a GT2X. That kit costs around ?1,000 including injectors etc. You are right about the turbo itself costing around that much, but you are going to need other things if you go down the BT route.

·
Registered
436 Posts
The Eliminator GT2TX from the posts on the Seat forum suggests it's quite laggy 3-3500 before anything starts happening. That's the only issue with big turbo's as it does effect real world driveability.

Waiting that long for delivery would mean alot more cog swapping especially around town....I assume that's why VW went for a small turbo with early spin up. My experiences on track especially is that my pace with suitable diff and rubber the small turbo car sporting 230hp and good torque is pretty rapid where can use early torque out of the bends...big power cars 350-400 upwards take longer to spool but are quicker down straights.Ther downside is the obvious braking power required to haul a MKIV especially from big high speeds.

Still it won't stop me in my search for more power

1 - 20 of 20 Posts