Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
It does look a lot fresher but I think they have made a mistake picking grey to be the interior coluor. Perhaps if they had stuck with black it would look a lot higher quality? I know that it is very well made etc but it just looks like a step backwards.

J.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
I agree Irish, mkV looks much more modern but then it is I suppose.

Steering wheel looks horrible (though perhaps not as bad as the non-leather one in the mkV), stereo etc too low and the heater controls stuck down below the gearlever doesn't look very easy to operate safely.

That plastic wood doesn't look high quality to me either.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
He try and compare a Mark IV with the R32 trim and Bora vents, then choose.

I wasn't keen on that wood effect in the Mark IV that is why mine had to go.

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
I think of you compared it to an Anni interior that it would be more appropriate than a base model old gti which was a different car market wise to the current GTI.

·
Registered
296 Posts
The plastic around the gear lever - handbrake - arm rest on the MkV is really bad. A very hard, low grade plastic. Ohter than that its alot more spacious

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
But the point is - it was meant to be a GTI. WHAT were they thinking putting wood into a sporty car?? I didn't mind the wood, especially when it was darker in the earlier GTIs but looking back the Alu trim should've been there in the first place!

The idea of wood in a car when you think of the MKI puts it into perspective I think.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I much prefer the MkV interior to the MkIV - ali trim or not! The MkIV just seems a bit messy and random to me. The MkV is a lot 'cleaner' and less cluttered IMO. Tho I do think it's too grey and wish it was a darker. The MkIV may be a little better quality but the MkV still feels quality inside. The GTI steering wheel is fantastic in real life!

·
Registered
366 Posts
The Mk5 interior is a lot fresher which it would be as it is newer in design by 8 years. The dash IMO is well put together and somehow befits the the fact that the car feels lighter handling wise as the interior feels less stodgy (if you get my drift!) the finish is better than any MK4 I had and I can honestly say that so far I have not had a single rattle or fault with trim falling off which I did have an issue with previously. The plastics and look are still not upto Audi standards but then again as a rule VW's are cheaper and you get what you pay for. One of the main reasons that I did not get an R32 was that after coming from the TT and Cab to sitting in the MK5 I thought it was a step down interior wise but when I sat in the R it just felt very old (please don't kill me [8)]) this was backed up by my GF although both of us prefer the look of the R exterior wise.

There are not many cars where the interior of the newer version is worse looks and quality wise to the the old one.

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
Well one is 7 years old, the other almost new; surely its no suprise it looks a little dated? Especially as you picked a picture of the ropiest GTI you could find, someones got way too much love for the dash silicone! Besides, don't forget when the MKIV was launched it was a landmark in interior quality for its class. But yup, I also hate the wood...

Posted Image

For the record I like the MKV interior, but like the Audi A3 and A4 its has this weird feel; well made and designed yes, but at the same time cheap. Centre console around the gearbox and armrest is where its most noticeable on all three IMO, but the rest of it is absolutely fine

·
Registered
342 Posts
i've been using a 1999 e36 bmw 3 series a bit recently and compared to the my mk4 the interior is cheap and nasty - ahead of it time in 1998, still looks good with r32 trim

1 - 19 of 19 Posts