Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fair enough, was just wondering as I've seen people do it via the cable and some software, was just wondering if the standard 1.6 has limited power left untapped?

I saw this, but this might be a gti or something, not the standard 1.6?

PS Forgive my noobness but what is a normally aspirated engine?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Fair enough, was just wondering as I've seen people do it via the cable and some software, was just wondering if the standard 1.6 has limited power left untapped?

I saw this, but this might be a gti or something, not the standard 1.6?

PS Forgive my noobness but what is a normally aspirated engine?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Do you think I should avoid investing in anything engine wise for this car? I've invested quite a lot of time in it, but still, maybe I should try and stop myself and wait until I get a 1.8 gti? Not sure which mk4 to go for next, any recommendations? (with a budget of 2-3k)

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ideally I would still like to get a bit more power out of my standard 1.6 for the time that I've got it, mainly torche for hills! I live in London so I'm used to driving on flats, so that's part of it, experience, but when there is a full car, it doesn't take hills like I want it to...

·
Registered
958 Posts
if you want more torque you should look into the TDI's, maybe a PD130 if you can stretch to one of them, better economy too, not sure what your insurance would be like though

best thing for you to do is to test drive a TDI and the 1.8t and decide which one you like better

i would say its pointless spending any money on your engine, just money wasted really

·
Super Moderator
50,213 Posts
Small normally aspirated engines (1.6 counts as small in this case) are strangled by their ECU.Even if you do the normal old fashioned things like exhaust,induction and cam you'll still need a remap and after you've spent a £1000 or more you might have another 15 BHP if you're lucky but almost certainly no noticeable increase in torque.

The old saying of "there's no replacement for displacement" means the best way to get more power is to put a higher capacity engine in that'll have more BHP without having to tune it.But as with any mods,they have to be declared to your insurance company so do make sure they'll still cover you before you start spending money.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I'm currently looking at getting a mk4 130pd and remapping it to either 165bhp or 180bhp!!! Should be fun!!! Cheap to run, fast when you need it to be and the insurance is pretty good too!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What I would really like is something that is 220bhp, another Golf I think (or dare I say it on a VW forum, a BMV!). I'm really not sure yet, if I had more money, it would be the mk6 r32 (or mk7, though I haven't seen much of that yet). Love the mk6 r32 though, in white, beautiful!

Does anyone know how the progression of models/power goes? Like if you put the models in order of power, how would it go?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.