Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
25,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wanting to install cruise control to my Bora Sport 150PD - I believe its pretty straight forward as part of the loom is already installed - however I'm a little unsure of the airbag bits and could do with a little help!

Anyone in the NW fancy giving me a hand? I can offer quick detailing session in return for services rendered [;)]

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Go on attack it yourself, when dealing with airbags just make sure the keys are out of the ignition and disconnect the battery if it makes you feel better [y]

Id happily help you as i would like you to attack my paintwork with the PC [;)] but im a bit far away at the moment.

Ive yet to install cruise but let me know how you get on mate [y]

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Ill do it, I have the m12 and foxys instructions, and did the 4motion single handeldy.... Ill have to check with the wife whats happening over the next few weekends but I reckon 4 hours with both of us tops, and this includes a bit of preventative maintenace to the wiper mechanism whilst at it...

It might be best to do it in stages as foxy did (weather dependent) unless you have somewhere warm! to work on the car..

Do us both a favour though,,, pop the tabs on the nuts that hold the wipers on pull the nuts off and give them a soaking with wd40 now, if these dont come of they can be a right pain in the back side.....

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Andy, I think as mines a 150PD Sport it already has part of the loom? We just need to connect the wires at the steering colum end?

If you could give me a hand that would be great [Y]
They go from the steering column to the relay box which is under the scuttle panel.
Wipers and scuttle panel needs removal.

Diesels are easy, its the extra loom to the ECU which is a pain, luckily you don't need that.

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Its a bit confusing Mark as people say theres an extra part to the loom, when in fact there is 2.. as gary says some cars need the one from the stalk AND the the one from the ECU to the breakthrough box in the bulkhead...

AFAIK all cars need the small loom that goes from the stalk, only pd's and 4motions didnt need the ECU part... foxys car was a pd150 and he need the loom from the stalk....

anyway we can but find out... Ill find out tonight whats on this weekend and the next...

TBH its better having someone whos done it as there are a few pitfalls that can double the time, such as steering whele angle sensor and window wiper position...

Have yougot the stalk and loom?

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
DO the dealers still do the loom? I thought they had de-listed it (a rumour going back many moons) ...

Basically Foxys instructions are the best as it deals with the install in stages, so the job doesnt require total dis-assembly of the car..

I would do the following routine.

• Install stalk and loom, then re-assemble steering wheel etc
  • Install interioir part of loom on lower dash - then re-assemble
  • Install exterior part of loom around scuttle panel, and do some prevenatitive maintenance on wiper mechanism... re-assemble
  • Vag com

I have all the tools mark... and it is straight forward the only problem I had was getting the cable and clip out of the fuse box so I just cut the wire and soldered and heat shrunk it instead..

this bit
Posted Image

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Shall wizz the wipers off before you come, can do that, quite easy lol!
Thats what I said, one came off the other was awfull endded up needing an industrial puller .. 80000 miles and alot of use made it a pain in the ....

·
Registered
530 Posts
Hi Tabs

I got the curise retrofitted to my PD 115 last week. The girlfriend got me the kit for xmas, which comprised of the stalk, loom and manual for the same price as you! This was all i needed to get it working! I took the easy option and went to my VW Dealer in Belfast and they fitted it in around 2 hours and charged ?150.

I would have tried it myself but was unsure about the whole airbag and steering alignment.

Whatever you decide to do, good luck.

BTW Cruise is excellent, its making me lazy lol

Cheers

Noel

1 - 18 of 18 Posts