can anyone help with some wiring?

have some pics,

alsod downloaded a manual but finding it hard to understand,

thanks for any advice in advance.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i bought a crash damaged 1.8 turbo as a donor, stripped out the engine, ECU, both looms from the ECU, clocks ignition, drive shafts, intercooler and mount, anti role bar and a few piped and other bits, the problem i have is the big connector under the trunking on the left side of the engine bay, on the origanal 2.0 8 valve car loom the connector is missing, well there is one similar but it sits behind the left headlight, and also the three plugs in the plenem chamber brown to brown, orange to orange and a white socket and mismatched green plug which dont fit,

·
Like A Bawwsss
25,247 Posts
Could pull full loom out the crash damaged motor (fairly big job) or re-pin the connectors.

On some cars there is a seperate loom that runs to those plugs and the big one pictured in car. im "SURE" (take lightly) that it only connects to the 3 connectors and the big one in trunking. Can you confirm? If so.....just use your 2.0V one and ill check the pins.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah was going to strip the missing wiring from the donor car but its gone to car heaven,

will have to strip the 20v loom back and trace the wires from the big connector to see where they go, i do still have the engine loom from the origanal engine i can cut up and use whatever i need,

will have a look later and post back my findings,

thanks chris.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok so been out looking at the wiring tonight, looking at the origanal loom on the 2.0 8v car, it does cave a big connector on it like the 20v t loom just its hidden further down behind the left headlight, it would be no problem to cut the plug off the 2.0 8v engine loom and extend it to fit in its new place, however there is more wires and connectors in the 2.0 8v loom plug, take it this has something to do with it having ar con and the 20v t engin not having it, so will be wires i dont use unless i wire in the AC,(which i want to keep if pos)

will post a pic of the conector behind the headlight,

·
Like A Bawwsss
25,247 Posts
I have listed what wires do what on this thread:

http://uk-mkivs.net/forums/t/514168.aspx

a lot of the wires are the same colors. The plug your looking at in your hand is the T14a plug.

Can I confirm:

2.0 engine has aircon
1.8T engine is non aircon.

What id do.....look at the wires I have labeled above, writing down color and what pin and what the wire does for each pin on the plug. Do that for both car side and the engine loom side.

The green connector looks like a early AGU plug? Maybe pre 99 model engine? The orange/black, and orange/brown? wires are for can bus.

Get your old white connector (T10w) and find out what pinds did what on that, from the 2.0 loom, then we can work out what wires the green plug does.

it could be a case of matching the 2 orange wires up correctly or repining the plug and looking what the other wires do such are the white/red and the white/purple.

·
Super Moderator
6,213 Posts
'So apart from the black plug near the headlight and the green plug in scuttle your all there right? Whats the plug numbers? (Something liket28 for example?) have you not just tried to plug it all in and fire it up with the big black one plugged together and the green plug disconnected?'

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
no have not tryd to fire it yet as i havent put the new engine in yet, trying to sort this wiring befor i do as its much easier to get to.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
[quote user="Chris."]

I have listed what wires do what on this thread:

http://uk-mkivs.net/forums/t/514168.aspx

a lot of the wires are the same colors. The plug your looking at in your hand is the T14a plug.

Can I confirm:

2.0 engine has aircon
1.8T engine is non aircon.

What id do.....look at the wires I have labeled above, writing down color and what pin and what the wire does for each pin on the plug. Do that for both car side and the engine loom side.

The green connector looks like a early AGU plug? Maybe pre 99 model engine? The orange/black, and orange/brown? wires are for can bus.

Get your old white connector (T10w) and find out what pinds did what on that, from the 2.0 loom, then we can work out what wires the green plug does.

it could be a case of matching the 2 orange wires up correctly or repining the plug and looking what the other wires do such are the white/red and the white/purple.

[/quote]

thanks chris very helpfull,

been compairing both plugs today and tbh dont think its going to be as hard as i first thought, alltho the conectors are different, and in different places, both has almost all the same colour wires, so next chance i get am going to fit the engine in and start wiring it up untill i get stuck again lol,

looking at the mismatched white socket /green plug am going to use the original white plug and chop/ connect,

also have 5 wires in the white conector, it has the brown/black and brown/grey in the correct place which i think is for canbus, (WHAT IS CANBUS, IS IT FOR FAULT FINDING VIA VAGCOM?)

wondering if the extra wire in the origanal white conector is something to do with having air con?

think its going to be a couple of weeks now before i get chance to work on the car again,

will update with more pics and info as i go,

thanks for your help everyone,

pete.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
update !!

chopped the t14a plug off my 2.0 8v loom and offered it up to the 1.8t loom, would seem all the wires are the same colours apart from one which is a thin brown with a blue trace,

just looked at the pinout list you posted chris, think its oil level/temp sender???

here is the plug i cut off,

also going to cut the 1.8 connector off and join the wires

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
yeah thats what am going to do, cutting the plug offthe 1.8 loom and joining the 2.0 plug on to it so it looks tidyer,

you say i could run the wire into the back of the clocks? dont think the 1.8 engine has oil level sensor anyhow, so would be no point,

still have a few issues with the white connector tho, looking at the socket it fits in there is a total of 5 pins, and the origanal plug has 5 wires, however only 3 are actualy connected, 2 dont do anything,

so am guessing that the new green plug which only has 4 wires in place of the white one, looking at the pin config that to will only have 3 that connect, so hope its just going to be a case of swapping the coloured ends over

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
will i need to as they were not used in the first place,

oh but they may have been used in the 1.8 car miten they?

1 - 20 of 65 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.