Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I friend with a 1.8T Audi A6 has been complaining of his engine sounding like a diesel. On pluging VAGCOM in, the following error had been logged

VAG-COM Version: Release 409.1-US

Control Module Part Number: 4B0 906 018 CG

Component and/or Version: 1.8L R4/5VT 0002

Software Coding: 11002

Work Shop Code: WSC 02325

Additional Info: WAUZZZ4BZ1N098790 AUZ7Z0Y1662173

1 Fault Found:

16396 - Bank 1: Camshaft A (Intake): Advance Setpoint not Reached (Over-Retarded)

P0012 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent

On reseting this error, the engine now sounds like a petrol.

Question how can I diagnose this fault further ?

·
Registered
808 Posts
Ok you know the engine has a cam sensor, the reading is taken from the inlet cam, its the one ran off of the chain from the exhaust cam which is the one ran by the belt.

Now the ECU checks that the cam and crank are running it time with each other via the sensors and where this fault code is leading you ...........

A :- your cam sensor is faulty/hanging off (not very likely)

B :- The timing from the cam and crank sensor is out of spec

OK we will presume it 'B' so what your looking for is reasons why the timing is out, you could look at the belt timing but you say reseting it has 'cured' it so its not a permanent fault so we can already eliminate that as a fault.

Next we have to look at the camshaft timing, now all the 1.8T's have vvt its just the newer ones have additional electricic control over it, this is where we are going to look for the fault......

The earlier models that were purely hydrolic/engine speed controlled and can lose the hydrolic operation which is enough to knock out your timing and list this fault additionally on the newer ones they still have hydrolic operation just that its controlled by an electric solenoid via the ecu, these are the 2 things that I would 'guestimate' where your fault lies, if the hydrolic side fails for either electronic control or hydrolic reasons the cam-chain will go slack and the 'sensor timing' will go out of spec and it will throw up your fault code.

Please bare in mind it could just have been a poor connection and might never happen again.

Hope thats a help ;)

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Many thanks Weeloon.

Before resetting the error code, the engine note on the car was very knocky, as if it was the tapets, though resetting this error code has stopped this - should I be concerned ?

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update - after about 30miles of driving the car has gone back to sounding like a diesel, so I presume the fault code has been thrown again.

Weeloon can you suggest what channels I would be best monitoring whilst the car is being driven to help diagnose the cause of this fault ?

Also, where would I be able to find the Cam posistion Sensor so I can check that it's not hanging off ?

·
Registered
808 Posts
Take the top timing cover off and you will see the belt that drives the exhaust pulley and to the right of it you will see an alloy cap held on with 2 10mm headed bolts, remove the bolts and pop the cover off and here is your cam sensor, but to be honest it sounds like the cam chain controller itself.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Im getting this code on my bora 1.8T to, mine does sound like a diesal even though its petrol, i always thought it was the tractor choke, hmmmmm

16395 - Bank 1: Camshaft A (Intake): Retard
Setpoint not Reached (Over-Advanced)

P0011 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The fix for this resulted in a new sensor being fitted.

If you've not had your cam belt done recently, then it could be the sensor, which costs over ?100 + VAT I'm affraid.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I'm also getting this error on VAG COM on my girlfriends 2001 1.8T AUM, also getting rough idle when cold and hesitant and jerky acceleration. Would you recommend changing the Sensor or do you think it would be best to get VAG to look at it and swallow the cost!?

Cheers,

·
Registered
178 Posts
it can either be the vvt adjuster / timing chain, cam timing out? ie cambelt not fitted correctly, also advise check oil pressure as low pressure can cause the vvt adjuster to fail.

is it noisy on first start up? ie like a wooshing noise?

·
Registered
178 Posts
replacing the tensioner and chain doesnt always cure this, i have had 2 new tensioners and chains on mine, still getting the same fault! its doing my head in now trying to find what it is!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hi, bit of a late reply to this....

The Secondary Air Pump was my first guess, the car was noisy on startup for about a minute (like a blown exhaust gasket) and then you would hear a woosh and the noise of a pump spinning down. I took the Secondary Air Pump off and replaced all the bolts as the plastic housing was indeed split.

It doesn't sound as bad on startup but it is still really lumpy and misfiring until the secondary air pump switches off. The car can also be quite hesitant and jumpy on acceleration even when it is warm which makes me think that maybe the camshaft sensor is shot too?

I'm still not convinced that replacing the bolts on the Secondary Air Pump has completely cured it either, it still runs really rough on cold start when the pump is on, just doesn't sound as bad.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
178 Posts
mine does this also! pump ok, vvt/ timing chain ok and cam sensor ok... ross tec say about the fuel pump relay but cant see this having an effect on the running fault listed!

·
Registered
55 Posts
I VAC COM'd the car again today and got the following fault codes:

4 Faults Found:
17705 - Pressure Drop between Turbo and Throttle Valve (check D.V.!)
P1297 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent
17545 - Fuel Trim: Bank 1 (Add): System too Rich
P1137 - 35-10 - - - Intermitten
16396 - Bank 1: Camshaft A (Intake): Advance Setpoint not Reached (Over-Retarded)
P0012 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent
16486 - Mass Air Flow Sensor (G70): Signal too Low
P0102 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent

I have a;ready replaced the MAF around 2 years ago with a VW Stealer replacement. Could it be dead again?

·
Registered
178 Posts
looks like youve got a d.v fault, thats whatll bring up the maf fault also .try replacing the d.v and check for air leaks as those 3 faults could alll be linked,

the over retarded fault is a diff fault which is usually cambelt timing out, timing chain tensioner/chain fault

·
Registered
55 Posts
I think the tensioner may well need doing as it makes a slight whining noise when the engine is running and seems to "bounce" up and down on the belt a bit.

Do you think a cambelt and tensioner's could sort out the running issues then? I'll get a DV from VAG and swap that too....

1 - 20 of 27 Posts