Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just had my wheels re-aligned (on a hunter) after changing the balljoints, wishbones (and bushes) tie rods & ends.

However, when they passed me the print out of the camber, caster, toe, etc. it shows that the camber is still out. Is there any way to adjust this on a Golf (i.e. by adjusting the wishbone to balljoint bolts) without getting adjustable top-mounts...?

Cheers,

Luke

·
has been
7,414 Posts
i little in the subframe, but this will affect both sides and the only other is in the ball joint to wishbone bolt holes.

check / compare the distance between the top inner edge of the wheel to suspension strut on both sides to make sure there isn't a bent hub strut causing it to be out.

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers Olly [y]

TBH I just fitted the wishbone/balljoints and did not think about the spacing in them as I thought that this would be picked up with the wheel alignment...but I guess not.

I will measure the strut too, but I think it may be back to the garage for them to look at it again.

Hope your feeling better mate,

Luke

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good to hear mate [y]

Well I have contacted the place that did the alignment as I specifically said "I need a full setup" and they gave me a print out of the car after they had done it which shows that the camber was still out (the same as before they made any adjustments). So its going back there and they can sort it out, as thats what I paid for.

Cheers for the help mate [y]

Have a good Christmas.

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay, they have called me back to say that on the MK4 the camber can not be adjusted (even though I know the balljoint to wishbone has some available movement). Apparently the MK3 had it, as does the MK5...but it was dropped for the MK4?

Also it has -1degree camber on both sides (basically identical) and the most important thing is that both sides have the same amount of camber, it is nothing to worry about...?

Im just concerned that I am going to quickly kill my Michelins...[:(]

·
Registered
146 Posts
i have the same problem m8, my L/H front wheel is slightly more negative then the other,ive replaced top mounts and wishbones, had laser alignment done, there telling me theres no adjustment on the mk4's but i know there is some as in the haynes manual/net its saying camber/castor angles are asjusted through loosening the subframe bolts and repositiong it, seems like they didnt want to get involved. my car drives fine,holds a straight line perfect.heres my alignment final report spec. left front -1*54' right front -0*54' btw the * is for the degree as i cant find the symbol on me keyboard,

1 - 7 of 7 Posts