Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I've just bought a 2004 1.9 golf se tdi, I've found some damage to plastics in the boot which I wasn't told about, the charger socket doesn't work and neither does the alarm so I'm starting to doubt other things! The dealer said they'd serviced it and swapped the cambelt and waterpump before I drove it away - I've found the cambelt and can't really tell if it's new or old but I'm struggling to find the waterpump - could someone tell me exactly where it is (or even better post a photo? I just want to check it's brand new.

Not sure if I should ask about the electrical things here but is there anything obvious to check as to why the front cigarette lighter socket doesn't work? And I've found that they've removed the fuse from the alarm - will it be okay to just plonk a fuse back in and see if it works?

Cheers

·
Registered
95 Posts
replace the alarm fuse with what is rated with on the fuse card, same for front cig lighter may be the rear one working off the same fuse aswell.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers for the reply

Curious as to why the dealer's taken it out but I'll pop a fuse in. The rear charging socket works - just not the front. I'll double check the fuse.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Does this look like a brand new cambelt to anyone?

Also, if they changed the waterpump would they have had to of drain and refill the coolant? As the coolant is below the minimum line? (yet to find the waterpump).

·
Livin' by the sword
5,180 Posts
That picture there is the alternator (or auxiliary) belt, not the timing belt. The timing belt is under the plastic cover near the auxiliary belt though, and the water pump is driven off the timing belt. The pump change means that a little coolant is lost, so should've been topped up when they did it.

·
Registered
512 Posts
That's not the cambelt thats the aux belt as says above, cam cover needs to come off, water pump will be at bottom of engine and probably need a ramp to get a closer look at that. When they did the cambelt they should have changed the tensioners/rollers and damper.

·
Registered
382 Posts
The alarm not working could be a few things. Are you sure the car has an alarm...does it have the sensor above the rear passenger door....i think its their on mine.

It may be an alrm fuse or the siren itself. Try leaving a window open and lock car and a few mins later try to set off alarm. If you manage to set it off waving arms inside...lol..and indicators flash but no noise it may be siren.

With regards to water pump you cannot really see the pump........heres a picture help to show you where belt and pump are.

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/a5/brm-VW-Jetta-TDI-timing-belt-replacement-1.htm

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cheers for your help guys, that link's great -been looking for something like that will try have a gander at the belt. and I'll check above the rear passenger door for an alarm sensor. There seemed to be a lot of fuses missing out of the dash/drivers fusebox, one of these was marked up as the alarm one - I've fitted a fuse and when I click lock twice the led in the drivers door flashes (although I tried and failed to set off the alarm!) I'll investigate in a bit. Right now my main concerns are the cig lighter (no satnav!) and whether or not the cambelt's been done.

The rear charger socket is working, just not the front one and I've tested both the fuses in the dash fusebox (24 & 26 from memory) also read somewhere that #42 is for the cigar lighter on some models but I can't even get a fuse to sit in there on mine (no terminals) so guess that's not right on the 04 se tdi.

Also couple of other things - does anyone know how to turn cruise control on , and what does the little switch do under the rearview mirror (apart from activating a green LED). Oh and is "Econ" on the centre console air con? sorry about all the questions but I don't have a manual (the dealer is posting it to me... .. .)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ah, just read Econ button - turns the aircon off and the mirror button dims the mirror (thought that's what it was but it didn't do it straight away which made me think otherwise).

Found cruise control - and alarm's tested ok.

Just got to find a quick (quickest) way to check the belt's been done for definite and get the front cigar lighter socket working!

·
Livin' by the sword
5,180 Posts
Cruise control is on the left hand indicator stalk. A switch on the top to turn it on and off, and a rocker on the end to set and engage etc.

Like this (courtesy of JKM).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts