Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car is at the stealers for a few repairs at the moment and they called today and said that my cambelt is overdue a change. They claim that VW have told them that all 1.8T cambelts now need to be changed every 40K. Has anybody else heard of this or are they trying to rip me off. Any ideas before i give them all my christmas money?

·
Registered
16 Posts
I believe the original service advice said the belt should be changed at not more than 120,000. I have seen 3 of these engines where the belts failed between 93,000 and 97,000 miles. I was not aware that the change was now down to 40,000. What happened to German build quality, this sounds more like Fiat!!!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Cambelt at 40k?? That's rediculous :-( What is happening to VW??

Does that mean my car (just 3 years old) needs the Belt doing too then? It's just coming up to its 40k service (see my other post), but i had no intention of doing the Cambelt......... can anyone confirm the above? Does it definitely apply to all models?

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have just spoken to my local main dealer (Citygate) and they have NOT had a tech. update on this. Their advice, not VAGs advice, is to change it at 60,000. From my experience this is well on the safe side.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
My car's still on 25,000 miles but is just coming up to 5 years old so I was wondering whether I ought to get the belt changed. I suppose this bulletin answers the question [:(] What does a belt, tensioner bearing and water pump cost?

·
Registered
198 Posts
Most places I have spoke to all advise around about 60K. In a lot of cases the belt will be absolutely fine at 60K, but I guess its best to be on the safe side. 40K does seem a bit early, my old 1.4 got the belt changed at 60K and it was 5 years old at the time. I bought my old GTi with 70K and it had the belt changed then. My new 1.8T is at 68K and just had a sevice and timing belt change. Again the belt that came off was fine, but its best to be on the safe side. When I had the belt changed on the 1.8T, engine code (AGU), VW  states that it is advised to change the belt at 60K, whilst at the same time checking up on the tension. They advice that tensioners should be changed by 120K.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts