Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Diesel isn't a dirty word
11,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was in my local main dealers today (Lakeside VW in Stoke on Trent) and I saw that they have the cam belt kits on offer until the end of August 2006 with 30% off. It looked like it was a national offer by the sign as well and it did not state that it was restricted to just the golf range either.

The kit for my GT TDI 130 which was belt + tensioner worked out at ?63.20 which I thought for the genuine parts was a bit of a bargain. [Y]

So it looks like the cambelt + water pump are being done next week now. [:)]

Neil

·
Registered
186 Posts
I need mine done, are you doing yours yourself?

I am going to ring my dealer this week and find out if Basingstoke is doing it.

·
Registered
918 Posts
They are a pain on the mkiv and Bora. You need to take an engine mount off and renew it's bolts. There is bu**er all room to manuovre the mount in and out or get at the bolts. Not as easy as they used to be!!!!

·
Registered
266 Posts
does the discount count if you get the dealer to do it for you? Or do you have to buy the kit, then get it done seperately either by yourself, by them or by someone else?

Ta

·
Registered
32 Posts
I need mine done, are you doing yours yourself?

I am going to ring my dealer this week and find out if Basingstoke is doing it.
Let us know if Martins have the offer on!
Hi
went to Martins on Saturday to have the cam belt as well as a few other things done. They currently have a promotion which entitles you to a 15% discount off the total cost of a cam belt change which is a greater saving than 30% off the kit alone.
The labour was ?271 and the kit was ?93. With the discount I got it done for just over ?300. The promotion is still on. Just make sure they give you the discount cos after i deciphered my invoive I realised they hadn't. Called them afterwards and spoke to the service manager and he was very apologetic and credited my account the saving.
Sat

·
Diesel isn't a dirty word
11,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Are these discounts due to VW dropping the service intervals on the cambelts?? [:^)]
Hi
went to Martins on Saturday to have
the cam belt as well as a few other things done. They currently have a
promotion which entitles you to a 15% discount off the total cost of a
cam belt change which is a greater saving than 30% off the kit alone.
The
labour was ?271 and the kit was ?93. With the discount I got it done
for just over ?300. The promotion is still on. Just make sure they give
you the discount cos after i deciphered my invoive I realised they
hadn't. Called them afterwards and spoke to the service manager and he
was very apologetic and credited my account the saving.
Sat
Could you have bought your own parts at 30% discount and then get VW to do job and give you the extra 15% on the labour as well? [:^)]

Neil

·
Registered
266 Posts
I know the service manager at my local dealer, n he's already given me a decent price, before this offer, do you reckon it'll be cheeky to ask for a bit more off, because of this offer?

·
Registered
186 Posts
I rung martins today to find out about the kit and they quoted me ?88 for the kit, which included the water pump, i also got a bit of attitude throw in for good luck.

Might book mine in on the condition they give me the discount price. Last quote i got from Martins was ?390 which included the water pump so its quite a differance.

More dosh to spend on the FK's!

·
Registered
83 Posts
So what exactly comes in the cam belt kit?

Also if I wanted to order one from Martins in Basingstoke for ?88 should I mention anything specific... like "my mate Andy called yesterday and was quoted ?88 and I'd like to order one please...[;)]"

Thanks.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I have just rung Martins again to confirm whats included in the ?88.13, and its a Cambelt, 2 tensioners and bits and bolts.

If you buy the belt its ?26 and the tensioners are ?44.

Also, the cambelt kit doesn't include a waterpump, this is another ?35 + ?25 exchange surcharge.

That means there is no discount at Martins Basingstoke for cambelts :-(

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have just rung Martins again to confirm whats included in the ?88.13, and its a Cambelt, 2 tensioners and bits and bolts.

If you buy the belt its ?26 and the tensioners are ?44.

Also, the cambelt kit doesn't include a waterpump, this is another ?35 + ?25 exchange surcharge.

That means there is no discount at Martins Basingstoke for cambelts :-(
Didn't you mention the 15% discount promotion?
Sat

·
Super Moderator
9,133 Posts
Strange question, but which belt is the cam belt :$

Any pics?

·
Super Moderator
9,133 Posts
Hi All,

I booked my car in to Heritage Bristol for next month, and have been quoted ?267 to have the cam belt changed.

I didnt think this was bad as my first quote from them was ?320, then ?270, then ?267.

I am getting a free courtesy car for the day as well, a polo 1.2s.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts