Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,

Fitted a tuning box to my GT TDI 110 last night. Really impressed with the gain etc for the small outlay in cost. However, when in 4th and 5th gear, I do experience some what appears to be juddering under acceleration.

Has anyone else experienced this with a tuning box??. Have I adjusted it to be too high or is this what you can expect from a tuning box as I realise that a remap is the best solution. Would you think this is dangerous to my engine?? Please don't start a "you should've got a remap" because I don't have the funds at the mo...

Cheers

Bobbyboy.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Clutch slip - but I'm not changing gear, or am I being stupid here! The juddering occurs when accelerating and I am in gear.  Can you explain?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Hi,

Tuning boxes simply pump fuel into the engine to gain performance, and therefore the power is sudden, and not smooth.

This results in a surge of torque , which can mean clutch slip even when the car is in gear.

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
Hi

The ones off ebay that cost ?20.00 ish are like that.

But there are other ones out there.

The Tunit box that we do are didgital and not just the cheap relay that overfuels

Sarah

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
Hi

We fitted one of these on to a Seat with the 110bhp engine.

There are 9 different settings under the bonnet

We put it on and the customer went for a drive.

He came back and we adjusted from the 4th setting to the 5th setting and he was completely hooked.

He wanted it to stay on that setting as the increase was fantastic

But there are another 4 settings with it and then lap top tuning on it.

The good thing about this is that it goes on to all the VAG tdi engines , so if you was to sell the car you can take it off and put it on to your new car.

If you was to go to a PD engine , then Tunit offer up to a 40% part exchange.

So it does not have to go with the car.

I am so amazed with the differnces on these Tunit units , we tried it on a Mk5 Golf 140PD and the differences in the drive was amazing

?398.00 + VAT

If we was to fit it we charge ?22.50 + VAT

But we let you try it before you pay for it.

If you was not impressed we would remove it and all you would have to pay for would be the fitting at ?22.50 + VAT

But we have not really had to do this yet

Sarah

·
Registered
124 Posts
No tuning box will produce the maximum performance, and smoothness though.

I actually used to be a dealer for Tunit, and they admitted this themselves! [:)]

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
Awesome used to be a dealer for Tunit

But stopped using them as the old analogue systems was not as reliable as the new didgital ones.

We saw a Mk4 150PD Anni on the rollers with a super torque curve and achieved just shy of 200bhp on the rollers with NO smoke what so ever

So then we had to look in to Tunit again as this was all he had with an air filter

Sarah

·
Old School UkMkivs Member
2,166 Posts
Clutch slip - but I'm not changing gear, or am I being stupid here! The juddering occurs when accelerating and I am in gear. Can you explain?
I doubt its clutch slip, especially as you only get it in 4th or 5th. Surely it is more likely in 1st and 2nd gear

What make is the box? There are many fake and poor quality boxes out there that don't give the impressive results of the higther end digital boxes.

I run a Boxsystem box on mine and have no running problems, just oodles more power [:D]

Just so happens that I am the UK supplier for these boxes and regularly supply them to members on here both through group buys or individually. Prices for the 110 start at ?152

Take a look at my post in the group buys for more info.

Guy

·
Registered
222 Posts
Yeah I've fitted a Tuning Box on mine too - I really dont know who has manufactured it though - perhaps someone can shed some light on it for me....

It connects inbetween the usual 10way connector - there is then a length of serial cable attached to a black box with a small brass screw built into it for fuelling adjustment - also I had to splice/solder into the black wire that connects to the MAF sensor.

The difference it made on my car was unbelieveable - with it turned higher than what I have it set at now it just pulled & pulled & pulled sooooo much better in any gear - I turned it down a tad because I was getting hesitatation/missing at approx 1800rpm in ANY gear when cruising - but it still pulls waaay better than it used to - smoke is a bit of a problem now tho!!

Definately the best priced upgrade by far - bought it for ?80 (I think) second hand off a lad off here!!

I want to get rid of my EGR setup next & clean my inlet because I dont think crud build up is helping smog matters either!!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Clutch slip - but I'm not changing gear, or am I being stupid here! The juddering occurs when accelerating and I am in gear. Can you explain?
I doubt its clutch slip, especially as you only get it in 4th or 5th. Surely it is more likely in 1st and 2nd gear

What make is the box? There are many fake and poor quality boxes out there that don't give the impressive results of the higther end digital boxes.

I run a Boxsystem box on mine and have no running problems, just oodles more power [:D]

Just so happens that I am the UK supplier for these boxes and regularly supply them to members on here both through group buys or individually. Prices for the 110 start at ?152

Guy
Actually, you are much more likely to get clutch slip is 4th than 1st.

This is due to engine load being at its highest.

I can supply a fully digital tuning box for that engnie for ?120 including postage or free fitting, but the fact is, I wouldn't recommend it over a ECU re-map

·
Registered
124 Posts

Guy
Actually, you are much more likely to get clutch slip is 4th than 1st.

This is due to engine load being at its highest.

I can supply a fully digital tuning box for that engnie for ?120 including postage or free fitting, but the fact is, I wouldn't recommend it over a ECU re-map

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Yeah I've fitted a Tuning Box on mine too - I really dont know who has manufactured it though - perhaps someone can shed some light on it for me....

It connects inbetween the usual 10way connector - there is then a length of serial cable attached to a black box with a small brass screw built into it for fuelling adjustment - also I had to splice/solder into the black wire that connects to the MAF sensor.

The difference it made on my car was unbelieveable - with it turned higher than what I have it set at now it just pulled & pulled & pulled sooooo much better in any gear - I turned it down a tad because I was getting hesitatation/missing at approx 1800rpm in ANY gear when cruising - but it still pulls waaay better than it used to - smoke is a bit of a problem now tho!!

Definately the best priced upgrade by far - bought it for ?80 (I think) second hand off a lad off here!!

I want to get rid of my EGR setup next & clean my inlet because I dont think crud build up is helping smog matters either!!
Sounds like a speed buster box!

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
What's all this about? I've read about other people pinching closed a hose leading to the EGR valve. What does removing/restricting the EGR valve achieve?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts