Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Old School UkMkivs Member
2,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have just got hold of some Anni replica sidekirts from bodycarstyling on ebay:

Posted Image

I have a few questions on fitting them that I hope someone can help me with. I have read the guide on here but have a couple of questions.

When fitting them where should the top of the skirt line up with? The bottom of the door opening, a bit lower, or the line of the stonechip/underseal on the sills?

I understand that the tabs on the bottom of the skirt should be bonded to the underside of the car. If I fit the skirt so the sides are at right angles to the ground if you see what I mean, so the bottom face is horizontal, then these tabs are about 30mm from the underside of the car. Are there any brackets I need? Or am I right in thinking the skirt mounts slightly more rotated under the car so these tabs just touch the underside of the sill? I have trial fitted them like this and have had to trim a little from the ends of the arch liners to allow them to sit like this.

Have people fitted them with both the front and rear ends tucked under the arch liners?

Can anyone help please as they are off to be painted this week

Many thanks

Guy

·
2,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
If anybody who has a genuine Anniversary or has anni side skirts can have a look at theirs please and tell me I would be eternally grateful. Can you tell me how they should sit when fitted. The sketch below is a cross section through the sill, sideskirt shown in blue. The only way I can get the underside tabs to sit against the underside of the sill is to rotate the whole skirts slightly as shown in the second sketch.

Posted Image

·
2,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cheers Tabs,

Any chance you can check yours for me?

I really want to get it right first time as once they are stuck I don't think they'll be coming off!

·
2,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It helped a little but I still need my questions above answered. Surely someone will be kind enough to go look at theirs for me, and even get me some photos of the ends and underneath if they are super helpful! [;)]

·
Registered
927 Posts
cant help on that score garfie!

did you get valences as well, as this is the bit im interested in seeing as a finished painted part?

·
2,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks anyway mate, hopefully someone can answer my questions soon.

I ended up getting genuine front and rear valances, main reason was that I didnt think a fibreglass front valance would last long what with kerbs, roadkill etc. Got a pair of genuines for ?235 delivered.

·
Premium Member
25,430 Posts
Just had a think about it, the first setup you have in your digram should be the correct fitment. The bonding material will hold the skirt up and with screws at each end it should hold it in place.

If you went with the second way of doing it then the skirts wouldn't sit square?

·
2,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Exactly what I was thinking, but when searching on here many people say the tabs along the bottom inner edge of the skirt should be glued to the underside of the car. The only way I can get them to do this is rotate the whole skirt.

If yours is a genuine Anni is there any chance you could have a look for me to see if that is the case and/or if the bottom edge of the skirt sits parallel to the ground. Its really doing my head in now.

I'm also wondering if the Annis have brackets to hold these tabs or mounts on the sills because if I mount the skirts square then these tabs are about 25mm from the underside of the sill.

Cheers Tabs

·
Registered
398 Posts
Hi mate.....TBH I think your gonna have troubles......This seems to be the reason why people only go for genuine Anni skirts as opposed to the F/Glass copies.....On the gen ones they have sort of a bracket as part of the skirt.....and these do bond to the sill.....I have a set in the loft....(waiting to go on)...When I first got them I dry fitted them and they just clip onto the car....(there are little ridges each end that clip into the arches)...and the flat bracket pieces fit under the sill....(no gap.....they are exactly the 25mm in height you are trying to close).....if you PM you email mate ill send ya aload of pics so you can clearly see what I mean......HTH

Nick

If I were you id sell the skirts you have on the bay and get some gen ones....will save you loads of hassle me thinks....you can get em for ?175 from most places......

·
Registered
5,416 Posts
The first pic you have done is right the reason behind this is, is on
the original ones there are three tabs which glue on to the underside
of the car but it seems with the replica ones they don't have them, as
i can see from your pics. this is what they should look like..

Posted Image

·
2,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thank you N15CKO and Satnam, you are saviours.

I thought something wasn't right, seems the replicas are missing a moulded in extension to the tabs

Posted Image

Posted Image

(Photos courtesy of N15CKO)

I'm sure with a bit or wizardry I can make some spacers to do the same job.

Just a couple more queries I could do with help on:

Where does the top edge of the skirt sit? Does it line up with the lower edge of the door opening or with the line where the body paint changes from smooth to stone chip paint (about 10mm below the door)?

How have people got the ends fitted? Behind the black plastic arch liners or in front?

Cheers for your help peeps

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
when the body shop fitted my originals he phoned m.s.design that make them to check fitment.

and they told him that even the originals or not suposed to be bonded to the under side.

he advised though to make some spacers out of think plastic blocks to bond between the tabs and body.

i put 1 self tapper in the back arch just to hold it more steady at the rear.

·
2,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If i can get some spacers sorted out I think I will bond them to the sill as it will make them a bit more sturdy, the fibreglass is pretty sturdy already but an extra bit of support can't hurt it.

Can anyone tell me how deep my spacers need to be, i.e get me a measurement from the underside of the car to the bottom flange of the sideskirt.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts