Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi every1? i am just wondering what every 17 year old is paying for you're insurance and what cpmpany with mods like alloys and spoiler and bumpers because i am getting quotes and some are outragious ,?
any info wil help cheers even if just standard cars.

cheers

lex

·
Registered
384 Posts
im 18 but i got my insurance at 17.

im paying ?1800 for my 1999 t plate 1.4 golf mk4, if i dont claim within my 1st year my insurance will b ?800. - thats with courtesy car, etc.

i got my insurance with allen & allen (i think they are brokers?).

mymotorquote.com

·
Super Moderator
9,133 Posts
I'm not sure about mods, but i bought my 1.8T when i was 18 (just going on 19), and i paid ?2.5k for my insurance in the first year.

I was insured by Elephant (up to 5 mins ago, now with Greenlight).

As for the brokers, have you tried looking at quotes directly with insurers instead? Brokers normally charge an extra fee

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
no i havent tryed many?
my bext was ?1800 with direct line but they wont let me have mods till im 25 :( but will let me have leather seats and sat nav for nothing :D i might just go with them for the first year
lex

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
no i havent tryed many?
my bext was ?1800 with direct line but they wont let me have mods till im 25 :( but will let me have leather seats and sat nav for nothing :D i might just go with them for the rest of the first year first year
lex

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
I started to drive at 17 now 20.

First motor was a 1996 P Reg 1.4 Polo CL. My insurance was ?590 for the year.

Second motor was a brand new 2005 mk2 MG ZR. My insurance was ?980 for the year.

Third motor (current one) is an 02 plate GT TDI 130 with remap my insurance is now ?1850 for the year.

Just go steady in your motors and build up the no claims.

Aiden

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i have been driveing about 5 months with directline for ?1800 standard and they wont let me doin anything to my car, and all othere seem to be mega highhow did you get insurance soo low when you were 17?

lex

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
Hi mate, to be honest i don't know, i had a pass plus and all i did was go on the net for hours and hours at a time and search high and low for quotes and then wrote down the best ones, i think i had a online discount too that came off which gave me the low quote.

My polo was a standard with the SE bumpers on and that was it, i didnt modify it which kept the quote down.

The ZR was a totally standard trophey SE model, again no mods.

The golf i have now is the only car which i have modified which consists of a remap. Apart from that the car is a standard GTI spec car.

Aiden

·
Registered
100 Posts
I'm now 21... and drive a '52 Bora 1.9 PD130 with remap n all that (see below)

As of yesterday I pay just over ?500 with Tesco :) :)

·
Registered
414 Posts
I'm 17 and I'm insured with CIS as a second driver with my mum as the main driver (although she never drives the car!!) . For my first 1.4s golf it was around ?400 and now for the gt tdi its around ?850. I have to start my own policy when I turn 18 next year, which is going to be expensive!!

·
Registered
728 Posts
When i was 17 my first car was a 997cc MK2 Fiesta (worth about ?100, with a full tank of fuel) and i hunted for days for insurance and the best i got was ?1100. I would say that today (taking into account tax rises and the fact that no insurance company actual wants to insure a 17 year old anymore) on a MK4 Golf ?1800 is pretty good.

However make sure you stick with your own policy as going on someone else's may look cheaper but as time goes on and you don't have the no claims it is not cheaper in the long run.

·
Registered
46 Posts
i am 17, just about to turn 18.

drove a pug 206 1.4 for approx 3 months which i have no idea how much insurance was as my grandad paid for it.

but after having my license for 3 months as a named driver without collecting any no claims, i got my hands on a MKV GOLF Sport 1.9 tdi and paying ?2300ish with direct line, o and thats with 3 points on my license.

does that help?? :S

·
Registered
5,416 Posts
Asda insurance with mods declared as a named driver fully comp.. it was around ?850 iirc.. cant remember now as paid it off in lump sum.. but without mods it was something like ?600.. and now for a beemer 320 (provisionally if i get it) with mods declared around the ?1k mark.. not bad me thinks..

Sat [y]

1 - 17 of 17 Posts