Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently got a 110BHP GT TDI, had some problems with it so it's going! Was going to go for the 325CI E46 Coupe but going from a Oil Burner to a 2.5 Straight 6 the MPG and cost of running got me a lil paranoid.

Cue the 150BHP TDI Golf, Torque? Yes! Speed? Yes! Tunability? Yes! High MPG? Yes! but it's a another Diesel!!!!

Cue the 1.8T 150BHP, see now i dont know much about it! How it runs? Is there much Lag? Tunablilty? MPG? Any known problems? General Infomation? Basically i need someone to give me the Sales Pitch for the 150 BHP GTI and make me want to buy one!

Please Enlighten Me with ur 1.8T Knowledge!!

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Runs nice, but sounds like a hairdryer [:D]

Your looking at about 28-33mpg realisticly. Not too much lag if your driving it recklessly and have it up in the high revs and change gear, but you can feel it, bit more if your pootling along, but then it don't bother you to much. Highly tunable, I gather it's best to go for one after 2001 with the K03s turbo and DBW (drive by wire)...i'll let GaryM inform you on the engine codes [:)]

Main problems I have come across are MAF and Air Flow Meter, other than that I have had no probs and I'm at 101k on a Y reg.

If it was me now, and I had the choice between the 150pd and the 150GTi, I'd go for the PD. They hold their value better and you can whack the miles on them and people won't care as much. Basically, with a PD, you'll pay more to start with, but the residuals will be a lot better.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Go get your self a 1.8t you won't be disappointed. The tunability is unbelievable. You can get yourself a serious power increase for pretty good money.

MPG is pretty good for a petrol engine of this size.

If your looking for a car around 60k miles then make sure it has had its major service, and preferably the water pump and camp belt.

·
Registered
737 Posts
My best advice would be to first drive both a 1.8T and a 150TDI. Don't forget that the 150TDI can also be tuned; you can get @40bhp for same price as @60bhp on 1.8T(150).

I've owned 2 x 1.8Ts, previously an E46 325i and also driven a mate's 110TDI a few times. Currently I run a 150TDI which is probably the best of the lot. You're right to think the BMW will use petrol; mine averaged 25mpg. The s-6 sounds great but is not that quick imo; good for 0-60 but mid range is poor for 192bhp(1.8T was quicker). The 1.8Ts are quite quick but av. mpg was 28-29 and they run out of steam top-end. The 150TDI averages 45mpg(includes alot of town drvg) and is much quicker mid-range. Compared to 110TDI, it's much quicker and you can hold the gears longer. But 110TDI would do 54mpg over similar driving pattern.

Sorry; I'm not a very good 1.8T salesman; just trying to offer a balanced view.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Ive had a 130 tdi but now I have got a 1.8T. With a chip the petrol is as good as the derv. The fuel econ. is not to bad I get 28 driven hard ish or upto 42 on a run at 75mph. The derv did between 38 and 54.But the petrol is so much more refined. And dont forget how much cheaper the petrols are I have just got a 00 Gti with 50K for ?6800 and it is very clean, Also the petrol is slightly better in the tight twist corners as it is lighter.

Richy...

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh God am confused now! Had a look around at the tuning options for both, i mean the 150PD apart from chipping it am struggling to find anything else to do. Where the 1.8T after chipping, theres a new Intercooler, Power Gasket's, Hose Kits, Blow-Off Valve's, Performance Exhausts and Turbo Inlet Pipes! To be honest i dont know what half of it does or is but sounds Performance Enhancing!

The 1.8T sounds inviting but i've been spoilt with High Levels of Torque at Low Revs and just a lil scared and paranoid that i wont get that just going to have to test them both i think and see how i find them!

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
A remapped 1.8T has buckets of torque, not in the same league as a chipped TDI but will not be disappointed. A chipped 1.8T is a little faster than a 325ci, but doesn't have that BMW build quality but is more fun to drive - unless you like sticking your rear out every now and again [:p]

You would be please with a 150 TDI or 1.8T, depends whats most important, refinement or economy.

Hope that helps....

·
Registered
387 Posts
Refinement or economy / 1.8T or Diesel / 1.8T=refined, diesel=smokey tractor [;)]

BTW - I am joking [:D]
I assumed you were [;)] but I still wanna know what the chap means (and you) by more refined?

Am I to take it that the dictionary definition is what is meant?
  1. Free from coarseness or vulgarity; polite.
  2. Free of impurities; purified.
  3. Precise to a fine degree.
If so how is the 1.8T more polite, purified or precise to a fine degree?

Sarge

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
  1. Free from coarseness
I assume this is what Carl meant, the diesel clatters along unlike the 1.8T.
Surely the most diehard diesel fan has to admit that?

Anyway, you seem to be taking this a little personal so [:p] to you and goodnight

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
  1. Free from coarseness
I assume this is what Carl meant, the diesel clatters along unlike the 1.8T.
Surely the most diehard diesel fan has to admit that?

Anyway, you seem to be taking this a little personal so [:p] to you and goodnight

Thats exactly what I was getting at......Coarseness. It's just the noise, nothing else.....the engines are great and everyone should have one...but it's just not for me.

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
ok, the PD is a diesel & with that comes noise, but aside that the rest is a positive point.

I might take that ?6k I've sat floor boards down to Allard & get her turned in to a 250bhp+ 1.8t/R32 killing machine, just to end this once & for all [;)], then we'd see how slow a Diesel is against a 1.8t [:D][H]

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
ok, the PD is a diesel & with that comes noise, but aside that the rest is a positive point.

I might take that ?6k I've sat floor boards down to Allard & get her turned in to a 250bhp+ 1.8t/R32 killing machine, just to end this once & for all [;)], then we'd see how slow a Diesel is against a 1.8t [:D][H]
Jace, goalposts are beginning to move here!!
Stock turbo against stock turbo so put your Allard Monster up against James GT28RS or Wilkos IHI - just so you can end the debate once and for all [;)]

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quick and Final few questions,

1, What reg did the 150/180BHP engines be released, i know it was 2001 but but on what Reg? And the engine Codes for these 2?

2, What i should expect as Standard on a 2001 or newer, 150/180?

3, Anyone got a 3door Flash Red GTI and they would be willing to post some pics up so i can gaze at it for hour upon hour!

Think thats me done, Cheers in advance!!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts