Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
PLEASE HELP!

I'm in a deep debate (more like banging my head against a brick wall) with the technical team who manufacture and supply Powertec SL1 induction kits. Basically for the 1.6 8v model they supply a filter with attachments for BREATHER PIPE and SENSOR PIPE.

My 1.6 8v does not have a breather pipe or sensor pipe attached to the filter housing. DOES YOURS??

I offered to show them a photo of my engine, along with an image of the same engine from K&N's 57i online instructions but they are not interested and insist that the engine they developed the kit for had a breather pipe and sensor pipe fitted to the filter housing.

Please could you help by having a look and let me know by replying here. I will then present this back to them. Also if anybody else reading this knows whether there are two types of 1.6 8v engine please could you also let me know. All the best.

·
Registered
5,145 Posts
As far as i know, there is no sensor/breather pipe for the filter housing. There is the big pipe that goes from the hosuing going towards the throttle housing. From his large pipe, there is a small (maybe breather) pipe that goes into the engine. Mine was covered in oil gunk if that helps! [:S]

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cheers Guys.

Y15HAL - That is the same as mine mate. The breather pipe runs between the throttle body and the MAF from the oil compartment. The filter then obviously connects to the MAF thus leaving the breather pipe in place.

This is already confirming what I already knew although they have told me they have sold 96 without any returns!?! Yeh right. The adaptor plate doesnt even fit into the filter. Useless.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Any help appreciated guys. Even if its just a close up photo of general engine area including airbox housing so we can prove that all 1.6 8v engines are the same and dont include the breather pipe and sensor pipe.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi mate. Just take a shot of the airbox for me. I am yet to find any 1.6 8v Mk4's with a breather pipe connected to the airbox housing. Is it possible that Powertec have made an all might F*** up?!?

·
Registered
5,145 Posts
Ace: Ill try and take a couple of pics for you tomorrow. Apologies in advance for the extremely dirrrrty engine bay! [:(][:$]

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Its alright mate. I have done enough digging to find out that no 8v engine was developed with a breather pipe or sensor pipe attached to the air filter housing. It seems that Powertec have developed a "universal" kit for a number of Mk4 engines but do not state this anywhere as it also seems that all instructions for the MK4 engines are the same causing confusion.

The filter requires a couple of outlets to be blanked off in order for it to work. Speaking directly to the technical manager called Mat from POWERTEC he had no idea about this. The blanking of the outlets also make the filter look pretty damn ugly but flipped over you can not notice them at all, luckily! It does mean however that the logo is upside down which is no biggy.

Looks and sounds great though and I would recommend one if you don't mind a bit of fiddling. The reason I have gone through all this hassle and not just sent it back from the word go is because I knew that the Powertec kits do throw out a very nice sounding throaty roar when opened up but are pretty much silent on normal use. Since fitting it has defiantly delivered this. My personal opinion is that the K&N 57i and Pipercross kits don't sound quite as throaty and wouldn't look as good under the bonnet of a Satin Silver motor.

I would suggest that you do not expect any help or advice from the Powertec team at all. They are a bunch of incompetent w*****s who it seems do not know what they are selling.

Here is a pic and thanks for the input :) Will try and get a sound clip up.

Posted Image

·
Registered
5,145 Posts
Wow! Looks the dogs! Sorry i couldnt get a pic up for ya!

Was it difficult to fit? Got a pic of the full engine bay?

·
Registered
780 Posts
Any pics of what you've had to do exactly?

How much was the kit?

Good work though, always worrying when someone selling something know nothing yet think they know all

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Not got a photo of the full engine bay but got this on my phone. You still cant get the full effect of the filter from this angle though.

Was not difficult to fit in the slightest as long as you disregard the instructions. Just one main bracket which fits in to where your air box should be and a couple of clamps. Nothing to it really. The aluminium cold air feed can be tricky to get in place though with cable ties but thats about it :)

Posted Image

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Any pics of what you've had to do exactly?

How much was the kit?

Good work though, always worrying when someone selling something know nothing yet think they know all
I can get fitting instructions along with pics up if needed mate. The kit I bought was from http://www.potn.co.uk/volkswagen_c5206_3850_3851_3880.htm with free delivery and a free cold air feed usually at £19.99. I have noticed the cold air feed is no longer free but if you shop around you may be able to find a similar offer. The Powertec extra ram pipe end is also worth getting for looks alone. Mine has been ordered :D

I think if you have a local parts supplier like Motorworld etc it will be better going to them and asking if they can order you one in. Mine came through POTN and I had huge communication problems when the fitting kit did not arrive with the filter. Found out later I could have got it for the same price at my local performance centre.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts