Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
I tried the Haynes manual method on my Bora rears and it definatly didn't work!

In fact I was nearly left in the "S***" as I was going away in the car but managed to borrow the tool form a friend that work at Kwikfit. It's realy easy with the tool and I wouldn't advise starting the brakes without one.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Yeah i can second that, it took me nearly 3hours to do the rear brakes without the tool, using the haynes manual method.

Without the tool, i ended up having to take the calipers off the car, and sit them in a vice and then use the pliers to turn them back whilst the caliper was held securely.

A real pain IMO without the tool.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Exactly.In the end it was quicker for me to put the caliper, pads and wheel back on the car drive to Halfords and pick up a caliper windback tool.

Take the wheel,caliper and pads back off and wind back the caliper.

Id say with the tool it should take about 10 mins to do each side including taking off the wheel and caliper.

·
Registered
905 Posts
I've used a generic windback tool from halfords for 20 notes, does the job fine.
anyone got a picture of this tool and is it off-the-shelf as the people in my local halfords aren't the most helpful?

Iv managed before to do the rears on my golf using a g-clamp, some pliers, a screwdriver and a lot of effort but the same method on my dads renault van (which has a similar setup on the rears) isn't doing the trick.

Also does anyone know where you can buy those oil extractors that you just poke a hose down the dipstick tube as the renault doesnt have a traditional sump plug as such?

Thanks,

Dan

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
defiently get the tool from halfords. i got mine for about 12 quid i think a while back. it is ideal for doing the brakes on the VW's not tried them on anything. its so easy and only takes a few minutes.

rob

·
Old School UkMkivs Member
2,166 Posts
Can someone clarify if you need to wind the pistons back in in a clockwise or anti-clockwise direction as I have seen tools that either do one way or the other, not both?

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Can someone clarify if you need to wind the pistons back in in a clockwise or anti-clockwise direction as I have seen tools that either do one way or the other, not both?
hello mate, the tool you need is the one that winds the piston back in, an a clockwise direction. i have just checked with my one.

·
Old School UkMkivs Member
2,166 Posts
hello mate, the tool you need is the one that winds the piston back in, an a clockwise direction. i have just checked with my one.
Sorted, cheers for that [G]

·
Super Moderator
8,769 Posts
Apparently, it's possible to use the tool provided with Bosch grinders.

And by the way, has anyone else noticed that this post is from 2005 [:O][:p]

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.