Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok im finaly going to paint my caliper's but cant chose what colour

Should i paint them Red like everyone else does to theirs

or

Should i go for Black ??

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Have them nickel plated, would look awesome. Not as in-yer-face as chrome, but still looks cool and metallic in a glossy way.

Failing that, try bright yellow with black detailing.

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK finaly know what colour im doing my calipers , but some advise please , is it best to take them off the car or do while there fitted , any best way to clean them before they get painted , and if taking them off to do is the best way to go about this , is there any special tools required , ie a certain site allen key fitment , any advise would be helpfull [:)]

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
I reckon for the perfect finish it would be best to take them off, but
if you going to be upgrading later on I'd leave them on the car and
paint them as theres no need for all the hassle, also I don't really
know about brakes so I cant help you about the allen key problem. [:)]

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
paint them on the car no need to remove them just mask of the pads and any other bits you dont want to paint give them a good wire brushing and then clean them with some thinners and let it dry dont worry if you get some black bits in the first coat they will cover with the second coat if you are really keen you can put a third coat on them

what colour are you going for ? use japlac enemal from b&q much better and cheaper then caliper paint if you want red use there signal red they also do a yellow

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
cool thanks for ya help il prob leave them on then , hopfully get them done this week

well i did think about going for red , but due to the gap size on my wheels i thing this would be a tad to over the top , so going for a gloss type black to blend in with the body work , any sugestions on a brand of paint for this colour

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
First of all you need to thoroughly degrease the calipers, and you can't really do this properly with the kit all in place, you'd need to remove the pads (especially if they have copper grease on the backing plates). It's very laborious scrubbing the calipers in-situ using a wire brush, it's practically impossible to get to all the nooks and crannies. So the only satisfactory solution is to disassemble and in that case you may as well take them off the car.

I recommend Hammerite rust remover gel, put this on with an old toothbrush, scrubbing as you go, leave it a few minutes then rinse it off with boiling water - not expensive brake cleaner, which is not as effective (you can use it for the final degreasing though). This will bring the calipers back to bare metal just like new, and it seems especially effective on the rear calipers which seem to be made of a different metal on a lot of models.

For the painting, using a brush is just no match for spraying (I spent several hours painting some calipers yesterday and had to do it using a brush while they were on the car due to lack of time, and I was fitting other bits as well - argh, I collected my Aero wipers but Eurodubs did mention he may have already sent yours, he didn't mention it when I was there...). If you want the best result, spray it on in thin layers, lots of them until you get a nice, smooth, solid colour.

You could use Halfords matt engine paint, which comes in black and a nice gun metal "metallic black". I have both, but no time to remove the calipers to do what I described. I also have some Folia Tec black caliper paint and did some tests, it is very thick and comes out very glossy, but it's just not that good painted on with a brush. I did some tests with some scrap metal, painted one with a brush and caliper paint, and the other sprayed with that high temperature engine paint and the sprayed paint won hands down in terms of finish. It was also better that the ones I did yesterday using Halfords caliper paint and a brush.

In all cases, use a hot air gun paint stripper to bake on the layers of paint so it's nice and tough when finished.

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Black is poo, you want to stand out! Whats the point in black on a black car. Agreed, yellow would look excellent on your black car. Honest guv.

Anyway, Shiuming has offered some good advice, but I will tell you how I did mine without any problems, on 2 cars, without taking the calipers off, what a load of work that seems!

I used some brake cleaner with a toothbrush. Make sure you get as much of the back stuff off as possible. Will come off with ease on the bigger areas, its the nooks and crannies you want to get into with the toothbrush!

Then I gave a first coat of the paint, I used Foliatec on my golf and Hammerite Smooth on the bora. I found the hammerite to be better, the foliatec probably a bit shinier.

The first coat with the paintbursh (have 2, one bigger and one smaller for the detailed areas) will look pap, but leave that to dry for an hour then go do a second coat, you will be much happier once you see the second coat go on. If you feel like it, do a3rd coat for the ultimate finish as the paint seems to dry darker and lighter in differing areas, so a third coat seems to cut this out.

That's it. All I did was take my wheel off and paint.

Seriously though, there are so many colours apart from black! No one will even notice your efforts painting them black.

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Black is poo, you want to stand out! Whats the point in black on a black car. Agreed, yellow would look excellent on your black car. Honest guv.
Guess what colour I painted the calipers on a black MkIV yesterday [;)]

Lemme try to get some pics...

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
In all cases, use a hot air gun paint stripper to bake on the layers of paint so it's nice and tough when finished.
Good advice, this is what I did with my R32 calipers. I used hammerite smooth spray and let each coat dry for about 20 mins. Then I used a hot air gun to harden the paint on a medium heat setting for about 10 minutes.....then I moved on to the next coat of paint etc....

http://www.uk-mkivs.net/blogs/uk-mkivs_articles/archive/2005/08/16/303453.aspx

Be careful not to use too much heat or concentrate the heat in one particular area for too long otherwise the paint will blister and look crap [;)]

·
Registered
518 Posts
Big thanks to Shiuming who came to mine yesterday for the whole day and
till late hours to help me with my car! Done quite a few things
such as rip out my headlining before he came , all by myself as well
lol.

Wired up some footwell neons to the cig lighter so when the headlights
are turned on, the neons come on! wohooooooo, oh and they are blue!

Most importantly he got all the rust off my callipers, and painted them what i've wanted for ages, yellow!

Posted Image

Ignore the hoover it adds an extra 10bhp once fitted properley.

Posted Image

It looks a bit funny up close but it was still drying up, they look the
dogs now and will def get me some more street credit out there on the
road.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
cool thanks for ya help il prob leave them on then , hopfully get them done this week

well i did think about going for red , but due to the gap size on my wheels i thing this would be a tad to over the top , so going for a gloss type black to blend in with the body work , any sugestions on a brand of paint for this colour
get the japlac from b&q

·
Registered
440 Posts
On my old Mk2 I had black calipers (on a black car) mainly because it did not show the brake dust! I've just finished doing the calipers on my Mk4. This time I went for classic red (ok, common red). This was done with Hammerite. Two coats brushed on to get a good covering, then one light coat from a spray can looks excellent even if I do say so myself.

Certainly to get a good result the brakes need to come apart. You can do the calipers on the car, unbolt them and hang them from the strut. This way you don't need to bleed the brakes. And depending on how scabby your brakes are take a Dremel fitted with a stone tip to them. You'd be amased how much easier this is than using a wire brush. Assuming you have the same bolts as a 1.8T, to take the front calipers off you need a 7mm allen key. I think the carriers need a 15mm spanner, but can't quite remember. The rear calipers require a 13mm and 15mm spanner. The rear carriers come off with a 8mm allen key.

If I hadn't gone for red, I'd have chosen silver. Works very well with a black car if you ask me!

Before and after pics attached of my 312mm upgrade. They look kind of pink, but that is just the flash on the camera! You'll also notice I painted new discs with very high temperature paint too to make them look good for longer. These were baked in the oven to cure the paint!!

Posted Image

Posted Image

1 - 17 of 17 Posts