Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I changed my drivers rear caliper, no problem there and bleed it using an eezibleed did the job. reconnected handbrake tested pedal and its softer than before. so I bleed it again I put almost 1 litre of brake fluid through it and its still the same. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong ?

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok, found the master cyclinder bleed screws where is the clutch one hiding .1.6 auto 1999 . thanks bakedbean for all your recent help.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
had to quit for now hypothermia has kicked in lol .. no joy bleed the master, took it for a drive and when driving and you brake it the pedal sinks lower. I guess I better buy a 5 litre bottle of brake fluid and start again. scratches head.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I've just had a rear caliper done my self and the peddle is the same, so it was rather stiff, now when I press on the peddle it's a lot more easier to press, it's soft though but if I really press it then it'll stop on a dime. You know what it's like when something is adjusted then it's like your car seat isn't it, if you tilt it back a little or move it forward you never seem to get it back to where it was for a little while.

Could it be that breaking is what it should have been like, and your just getting used to what the brakes should have felt like?

was it sized on? mine was.....on the back......

I jumped in and was driving mine for a few weeks after getting it and then had a rear caliper done as I say, breaking is a lot smoother now.....

just a thought :)

·
Registered
5,767 Posts
Pull the handbrake up really hard, it seems to reset the calliper, don't know why but it worked for me after changing both rears.

Another thing that helped was knocking the calliper while bleeding, it seem to help release trapped air. I tried a rennies first but that didn't work lol

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
seat man my first job of the day will be to go to the chemist for fruit rennies and drop them in to master cyclinder lol will try the handbrake

bootec you have a very valid point. it was seized and the handbrake lever had dropped .

·
has been
7,414 Posts
obviously no clutch on yours but it makes no difference if you did.

have you tried rebleeding the caliper, sometimes they take a while. also can be down to sticky / seized sliders.

first i'd revisit the caliper, check sliders are free and greased then re-bleed the caliper. take it for a drive if still no good bleed the M/C again.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I took to pads off put it all back, seemed fine the caliper again using the eezibleed 4 more times no joy soooo my neighbour digested doing it the old fashioned way as he reckons on the mk4 air was trapped over the pipe on the axle sounded odd to me as the fluid came out plentiful. So we tried it and I now have a firm brake pedal. I really don't understand why. what's the difference I hear great things about eezibleed and its a great bit of home kit. I honestly don't understand why it worked ?'

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
VW brakes can be a pain in the backside to bleed, I find the solution to most dodgy VW pedals is to bleed the master cylinder and all normally seems well.

·
Registered
108 Posts
will you come and do mine...lol.....glad your sorted it....wonder if mind needs doing like that, all though I do have a feeling the garage would have probably done it the way you did.....I'll have to ask them.

·
Registered
539 Posts
you can run the brakes dry when you suck it out doing it the one man army way, at the garage im at we always use 2 people one in one out never fails.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
lol I will never touch a bleed nipple again! a straight forward process turned in to a nightmare. Just glad its done. I set the eezibleed pressure to 12.5 psi as it says no more than 20 it came out in a constant flow of drips. Maybe I should have upped it to 15 as the pressure may have been too low ? god knows. That said the old fluid did come out with bubbles and clean fluid did run freely. Do you think I had a couple of evil bubbles who said no we will not leave this hose and hung on for dear life ? friggin hippy bubbles. The good thing with the eezibled it the mc will not run dry as the bottle hold maybe 800ml and can be easily topped up. If I can find some one I will just usr the two man method but if not ill try the eezibleed again will more pressure. Now time to attempt the front wishbones over the weekend. do I really want to noooo not after that but I will plus put a new set of hanbrakes on which will be difficult revisting the caliper and the dressed bleed.nipple laughing at me.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.