Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

So I'm thinking of getting rid of the Bora - it's doing my head in to be perfectly honest. It doesn't always start, likes to cut out sometimes, has faulty locking, thermostat and temperature thing don't work, it costs a bomb to run - £55 for a tank whats that all about, the fuel filler cap lock is broken, and sometimes hairdressers want to race and they beat me. And all this is making me sad!! Thing is, I bought it for £2600 (I think) and have spent about £1200 on it since then. I'm a student right I cant be doing that! But now I have a huge dilemma of what to get instead.

Im thinking something pretty new, only a few years old. My requirements are:

SAFE. I have a big issue with dying (lol) and love to believe NCAP safety ratings so it has to be a 5* rating really. Maybe 4* but I'd have to consider it.

Economical to run. The driving I do is long distance motorway driving and in town driving - nothing else at all anymore.

High spec - I want leather, cruise control, CD changer that sort of thing.

Reliable - I don't have skills to do anything to it myself.

Attractive - since being on here I feel i've been conditioned to only like German styling! But I like Ford too as that's where I started.

Decent size - I cart lots of people and luggage around all the time so it cant be a supermini.

I have been thinking about a few options: A3, Grande Punto, Focus, Fiesta, new Astra or Polo.

I'd really like to hear your thoughts please guys, I'm in a bit of a pickle!

Thanks [Y]

P.S: Budget about £5k

·
Registered
504 Posts
i know how you feel my 1.4 used to use a bit of fuel for the speed but recently gourght the gt and cant moan at 64mpg[:D] depending on your budget id say a deisel golf although your looking around an 02 plate and a fair price tag for a good spec. otherwise i would highly recomend a fiesta zetec s deisel can piick up 55 plates for around 4k full leather etc and go pretty well and they are really good on fuel plus they look good. [Y]

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Ooooo new Polo.. Was driving besides one yesterday, looks amazing, has the space, CD and alla dat probably comes as standard, only thing is you might need to choose the leather trim.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So are diesels usually cheaper to buy? It cant be more than a 1.6 either because I have insurance to consider, i'm only 19.

A Grande Punto is the latest Fiat Punto.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ooooo new Polo.. Was driving besides one yesterday, looks amazing, has the space, CD and alla dat probably comes as standard, only thing is you might need to choose the leather trim.
Yeah can't afford that....[:$]

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well that's true. Mine is £120 at the mo. I just don't know what to do! By the way I will consider all makes and models not just the German ones. I know you're all a bit biased!

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Haha yeh head over to corsa.com

£120 road tax on yours, probly not going to save anything then. 1.9 Diesel is £120 too or at least mine is.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Oh my bad [:$] Didn't see the budget at the bottom. Hmmmm.. I kinda like the 3 door Fiat Stilo.

But I agree, if you wanna save money on running a car, diesel easily.

1 Series maybe? [:|]

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Im a student too all be it an oder one (25) I have a PD130 and it suits me just fine, £120 a year tax cheap(ish) to insure although your clearly a girl so prob be cheaper goes about 600 miles give or take on a full 55 ltr tank plenty nippy enough for me comfortable not sure on the ncap rating.

for your 5k budget you wont get a new car as for the second hand market im not sure on what has a good ncap rating, im sure places like the parker guides etc will tell you what each car has achieved??

My sister has a 1.2 corsa on a '06' plate not sure what they go for at mintute tho, but thats a good little car cheap tax, insurance and servicing an economical too

can't comment on other makes other than ford as thats all i've had/driven

A focus is a good car also, mine (ST170) never broke or went wrong in the 18 months i had it, only sold it as i wanted a diesel (doing 600 miles a week at the time)

hope this is some help to you?

Ian

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Ian. I had a new 06 fiesta as my first car so I could go back there, I think they look great. It was only a 1.2 though - i could never go back to that! Would have to be the zetec S. I think i'll be heading back to Ford :)

Do you reckon I should part-x the bora? And sould I put the standard wheels and springs back on and sell my R32 wheels sperately? (thats a sore spot, have just spent a ridiculous amount on getting those wheels on [cry])

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Personaly i would put it all back to standard then sell seperatly, you'll get more money then. then sell your bora privately as you will get more for it that way, unless your in a rush to get rid of it?

fords are easy to get bits for and cheap to service, my focus was £260 ish for a major service all the brakes an little bits i did myself nice an easy too [Y]

Ian

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
How about another bora? TDI 130 highline, 55mpg, full leather, heated seats, multi func steering wheel, parking sensors?
I'm not sure. Problem if is, if I get another Bora then I will never be satisfied with it and want to keep changing it. I've got the bug but no money!.....But maybe?!

1 - 20 of 74 Posts