Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, im totally lost with all the threads on the W8 light and am totally confused, sorry for bringing this topic up again, but i would love to get this light in my mk4 gt tdi 01.

where is the best place to get this light and i have read there are adaptors that make it easier and you don't have to cut as many cables? my car has no sunroof and is the light grey biege colour i think. I would extremely appreciate if someone could advise me, on where to buy the parts and the part numbers which is needed and total cost if possible?

all comments are extremely welcome.

hopless modder

Noel

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Ive just ordered the light from VAG Parts and it only cost £30 which is not a bad price.

And i would definetly reccomend buying the few bits required to make the adapter. Ive not got the VW invoice on me now, but i think it was a few quid. I built the adaper today and it only took me 5 mins. Its unbelievable easy to make. I cant believe people charge betweeen £10-£20 just for the adapter.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for your comments, greatly welcome! have sent a PM to SHAQ, Have checked vag parts but cannot seem to locate it. has anyone got the part numbers i need for everything? non sunroof biege. cheers Noel

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi,

Just done this myself and i,ll share with you what others off this forum helped me with,

Go to FOXY'S WEBSITE, theres a link on here somewhere to it, go to W8 inner light,step by step, it really is that easy, i warn u dont look at other things on there before you start this as you will be wanting to do loads of stuff that he has done.

Then contact DSGWAGEN who posts on this forum, he will supply you with what you need, esentially the light a connector and neccesary wires 2 of, to be precise, i cant remember how much to be exact but it wasnt more than 30 quid i dont think.

Then useing FOXY'S step by step guide go figure, the only advice that i will give you and its on the steped guide, buy a craft knife with an extractable blade, you will need to cut out a bit of the styrene soundproofing thats in the void between roof and headlining, the connector is a bit bigger on the W8 unit and needs a bit more space behind the rooflining to fit snug,

hope this helps,

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for your advice NUKE, Though i have just sent my other half to the VW Dealers to pice the parts, will be interesting to see how much! if they are too dear will PM DSGWAGEN, will let you know how i get on.

Cheers

Noel

UPDATE - Other half just ordered the parts from my local VW for £36 not bad!

Ordered

(1) 3B7 947 105 F 2EN : Grey dome light

(1) 3B0-972-706 Dome light plug

(2) 000-979-131 Wires / connectors (for w8 dome light)

(2) 000-979-103 wires / connectors (for existing harness)

(1) 893-971-993 Connector (mates with harness)

·
Registered
8,293 Posts
German ebay is full of them and the adapters already made as well. They're plug n play.

Baz

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Ive seem them listed but they are well overpriced. They seem to be around £10 whereas you can make it yourself for less than £5.

And its very easy to make even for a novice.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
got the light and parts in the middle of the week, cannot believe how easy it was to do!!! the adaptor took about 10 min max to make, luckly enough i have a soldering iron and heat shrink tubbing so looked quite professional if i say so lol. would definately recommend this mod!

Noel

·
Registered
8,293 Posts
Hi Ash

The Passat W8 never had black fittings as far as I know.

Baz

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hi there.

Just a new member on here. But i'm on SCC forum.

one of the members has a w8 light in his leon turbo. he's sprayed the light black, to match the leon cupra R headlining and it's came out fine.

It's shown here in his website:

http://www.leonturbo.co.uk/images/interior/int23.jpg

http://www.leonturbo.co.uk/interior.html

Oh and i've found this place selling them in german e bay

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VW-Innenraumleuchte-Leuchte-W8-Passat-Golf-4-Bora-Seat_W0QQitemZ170043349597QQihZ007QQcategoryZ57318QQcmdZViewItem

·
Registered
8,293 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I was considering spraying mine black but i think it would ruin it slightly as it covers over the icons on the buttons so they're hard to see in the dark. Also there's the fact that my other parts are grey and i decided to go for the 2 tone look.

Baz

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
....and to all you Bass junkies, they rattle like nobodies business, so

Take them apart, and superglue the lense to lense frame and then the lense frame to the main body of the light, no more rattle when the volume goes up.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Thanks for the replies.

Shame VW dont do them in black, i have seen one that has been sprayed but like you say it would cover the illuminted images. Besides i dont think i could spray it as good as the one i saw.

If anyone has any tips for masking the illuminated images and what type of paint to use i would give it a go, or if anyone else could do it i would pay for it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts