Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My mate is looking at the moment at a 2.8 V6 that used to have a supercharger fitted which the seller has taken off. The car is a 51 reg on 70,000 miles. No details on how long the supercharger has been on.

He asked me if I thought it would make any difference on the life of the engine and I couldnt answer but said I would ask.

Anyone any ideas?

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
I'd say it depends on a couple of things:

-How professionally the charger was fitted?

-How it was driven while it was fitted?

-Whether any other mods were done to allow the charger to operate
efficiently and safely? (i.e using forced induction normally calls for
lower compression)

-How long it was fitted for?

and mainly - Why was it removed?

Find out those questions and come back to us! But i'd look for
something else personally unless you can 100% verify it is a sound
example. There are plenty of other standard examples out there.

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers mate,

All I know is whats been passed on to me! I have already gone down the route of 'supercharger normally means that the driver wants to use all the power'....but then we also mod our cars, dont mean we thrash them.

I also know the charger was removed due to the seller finding it hard to sell with it on (like us again when we strip our cars to sell). It might be a user on here selling it, dunno!

The main thing though is a 2.8 4motion bora, 70,000 miles, 2002 registered....?6100!! I was even tempted, but then didnt like the idea of it being thrashed with a charger on it!

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
No worries mate.

Well check its been serviced correctly and frequently and if its had
the coil packs or fans replaced... just general stuff really. It seems
a good (if cheap) price! I don't know how much boras have dropped
recently but i'm sure my W reg 42k V5 hasn't dropped below ?5800 yet.
*shudder*

[:D]

·
Registered
445 Posts
The bloke selling it was on here, penfolduk I think. Sorry if you saw
the advert here and already seen his thread(s) about his car.

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
Sounds like Penfolds old car, which was on Autotrader for a while with the SC still fitted...

EDIT: oops, I see someone already spotted that!

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ahh so the guy was on here...even better. It's an indigo blue kind of colour if that helps!!

Can anyone give me any info?

Autotrader link: Clicky

Just remember, I bagsied (sp) first!! wel...my mate did!

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cheers mate!

Cut from the thread:

First off there is the sound, it whines from the start, you know that its not standard just from the idle and i have a stock exhaust. then as you accelerate there is a high pitched whistle until you hit 4500rpm then it rumbles like a thunderous roar as it sucks in so much air that the K&N trys its hardest not to self distruct and get sucked into the engine
Stick out tongue [:P]

The power delivery is awesome from the off and it really picks up after 4000rpm and is smooth all the way to 7000rpm 6psi boost. Its very smooth no turbo lag no bumps in the torque curve just pure power. Im off out for a drive now. just talking about it makes me wanna drive.
Big Smile [:D]

stage 1 is 80 -100 bhp gains on the EU mk4 and then there is stage2 which is another 40bhp
Stick out tongue [:P]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

See, the above, where he states it goes all the way to 7000 rpm and the limiter is taken from 6500 - 7000 scares the bejesus out of me! I aint even buying it either...yet [:D]

That means it HAS been thrashed (no dis-repect to the owner!!! I would too!!!)

Hmmmm....I'm not sure.[^o)]

·
Registered
445 Posts
Not sure if that thread mentions it, but i *think* he had the s/c on a
mk3 vr6 before and I don't think anything went wrong on that.
Damn, I thought I was helping him but it seems I may have lost him a
sale!

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
LOL, I'm just a very careful buyer! My mate is too, which is why he asked. Whenever I see something for a good price, I ALWAYS look for the catch!

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Well your dreaming if you think a car you buy has never been thrashed....... it very rarely hasn't!

Lets be honest one thread with mention of it being taken to the limiter is enough to put you off?

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
Totally agree with Chief. Good grief, as if he would fit an SC then keep it below 4k RPM!

Spending ?7k on a 70,000 miler with a 2.8 engine and wanting it to
'never have been thrashed' is pretty unrealistic. I cained my
V6 4Motion every day and it was absolutely fine. Modern cars do not
need wrapping in cotton wool, and IMO a car is to be driven not stroked.
You will never truly know what kind of driving style an owner of a car
has had, all you can go on is the cars condition and service record.

·
Registered
412 Posts
what they said!

make sure that they've put the original chip back in the ecu after taking the charger off otherwise the timing/fuelling will be wrong... has the charger been sold? if not get him to put it back on!

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hang on a minute people!!

Theres a difference in being thrashed and taking the rev limiter up from what the manufacturer has set it too. I can't see a lot of you guys NOT thinking the same if you were looking at it. Theres also a big difference thrashing a standard car, then bolting a supercharger on it and thrashing it again then.

I'm not saying I wouldn't buy it myself, I'm just stating it WOULD put me on the anxious side. Surely it would to you guys too?

Were always being told to look out for this, look out for that, but when I do, I get told I'm a dreamer!! Pah! [:D]

·
Registered
11 Posts
Only thing I can think of is that if the SC owner had too much tension on the belt then the bearings could have been worn more than usual.

For a while I had the belt tensioned too much, it broke the waterpump wheel. Though I've not experienced any problems with bearings on the axles involved.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts