Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright Guys I've been kicking around on various forums for a while, but this is my 1st post for a while, I hope you can help with my dilema,

After much debate between what new car to buy, which I'm sure a few of you have been through the same dilema.

Golf Gti / Audi A3 2.0T Q Sline or A4 same spec/ Skoda Octavia VRS

Having owned an Audi S3 and currently driving a Seat Leon Cupra R, I was very tempted to go back to the Audi stable with the new A3/A4. Down to the dealership the wife and I went and after discussions with the Sales guy managed to get a test drive of a new A4 2.0TQ S Line. To be honest I wasnt impressed. 200bhp in a big heavy bus just wasnt doing it for me. I liked the looks and the interior was very nice (Alcantara & Leather). Then there was the price, way too ??.
After having a nightmare actually finding a VW dealership locally who had a GTi in stock We finally managed to get a test drive.

That was it SOLD. This was the car for us. To be honest after driving the A4 with what is the same engine / power, I wasnt expecting much, however the difference was night and day. The Golf was amazing, as most of you already know.

Ok so decision now made on what type of car, now the dilema begins on what model and spec.

Model
Sold on the manual over DSG as I ike playing with the gearstick
Cant decide on 3 or 5 door. 5 doors for the practicality, (we have a 9month daughter). I really prefer the 3 door model though.
Any thoughts?
Does anyone have a 3 door model and a young child, how do you find getting them in and out of the carseat?
Should I stop being selfish and get the 5 door for the easier access?

Colour
Really like white, but Steel Grey is growing on me. If it was a 3 door it'd be white, 5 door would be steel grey.
Again any thoughts?

Options
I'm pretty much sold on some of the options.
Mind Made up on:
18" Monzas
Xenons (Had them on the S3 and loved them)
Interlagos Cloth (Liked the old school feeling and quality is top)
Phone prep (want the standard look rather than aftermarket)
Centre armrest

Still thinking about:-

Soundsystem - whats the standard system like. I have my ipod linked up to the stereo in the Leon. Therefore dont really want the 6Disc changer. Anyone comment on the standard 8 speaker system? Rather than opting for the 6 disc and therefore not getting the 10 speakers.

Sunroof - dont have one in the Leon, but had one in the S3 and liked it - any thoughts?

I'll have to make my mind up soon as I need to get one ordered so any thoughts are welcome.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
From reading on here the standard headunit is supposed to be a bit crap and big improvements can be found by replacing it.I personally wouldn't bother with the factory phone prep,it's very expensive and not that great,also if you do get it make sure they do a cradle for your phone as the cradles they do are limited .

·
Registered
19 Posts
R88PER,

I am having the same dilema....Can't decide on Spec but I do fancy the DSG. I was a bit cheeky today and went to a local Audi dealer to see if they had any cars with DSG I could try, they had a 2.0TFSI with it. I have never driven an auto before and it is a little strange at first, but I am sold on the idea but unsure if its worth the extra. The GF liked it as you can just put it in Drive and forget about the gears. The paddle shift is great, it really is the future, so smooth you hardly notice you have changed gear!

I am going for red 5 door with Cruise, highline and the RCD500, GF hates the 18s and I am not bothered as I like driving the car rather than looking at it. [;)], Armrest and Lux pack 1. All for a couple of hundred over 20k as an import, with DSG.

But I keep changing my mind on the options as I want it right, I will own it for probably 5 years..

Max

·
Registered
229 Posts
I have ordered a Candy White 3dr with DSG, Recaro seats, xenons, armrest, parking sensors, 18" alloys and Interlagos cloth [:)]

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for thefeedback guys.

I was already sold on the Highline from reading previous postings at ?45 its a no brainer really.

Regarding the 3v5 doors, I think we've made the decision to go with 5 doors. Like its been said we could cope with 3 doors but why put the missus through 5 days of torture getting Little Miss R into the back, for me to have 2 days of looking at 3 doors on the weekend. Also never considered the doors on the 3 door needing to be opened up further, my be a problem on our drive. So 5 doors is the way forward.

The sunroof I'm still not decided on. A bit more thinking about that and maybe a look at one in the dealers will make my mind up. Regarding the GTis being a quality item, if its anything like the one in my previous S3 then its going to be.

From your posts I've done some digging around the net and it seems your not the only ones who dont rate the VW phone prep. So I'm with you on that one, no tick in that box.

I'm still not clear on the RCD500 though.

If I spec this - "Radio RCD 500 with 6CD & Sound Pack" do you have to spec the "6 CD Changer with Front Centre Arm Rest 2 Air Vents Rear & Cupholders" also, or can you just spec the stereo upgrade and this "Front Centre Armrest with Storage Compartment 2 Rear Air Vents & Cup Holders"

As a dealer option its quite expensive but with some of the import sites its around half price so I'd probably spec it. I just dont see the point of speccing up the 6CD in the armrest as I'lll connect my ipod to it anyway.

I've just found an online config - so up to now this is what I'm looking at:-

Vehicle Description:
MakeVolkswagenModel2.0T 200bhp 5dr
ColourSteel Grey MetallicInteriorAnthracite Interlagos Cloth
Delivery8-12 WeeksWarranty2 Year Manufacturer

Optional ExtrasAdd/Remove Options
DescriptionSELECTUK PRICESAVING% SAVING
18 Inch Monza Alloy Wheel? 311.60? 445.00? 133.4029.98%
Cruise Control? 113.86? 270.00? 156.1457.83%
Front Centre Armrest with Storage Compartment 2 Rear Air Vents & Cup Holders? 76.70? 115.00? 38.3033.30%
Metallic Paint? 275.65? 335.00? 59.3517.72%
Multifunction Computer Highline? 29.96? 45.00? 15.0433.42%
Radio RCD 500 with 6CD & Sound Pack? 347.57? 675.00? 327.4348.51%
Xenon Headlights? 616.58? 725.00? 108.4214.95%
Total Price of Options:? 1,771.92? 2,610.00? 838.0832.11%

Select Automotive Financial Summary & Analysis
SELECTUK PRICESAVING% SAVING
Vehicle Cost? 18,602.18? 20,835.00? 2,232.8210.72%
Total Cost of Options? 1,771.92? 2,610.00? 838.0832.11%
Total Cost of Vehicle? 20,374.10? 23,445.00? 3,070.9013.10%

What do you think?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Looks a good price, look at the saving over a UK supplied car[:O]. Don't forget that Select charge for fixing the currency. Try euroimports for a quote, they are very helpful. I think I will buy from them. Speak to Richard Beach, seems a decent bloke and is quick with returning any quotes you want.

Euroimports have some cars on order already so they may be able to change spec for yours. I am not connected with them in any way, just been impressed with my dealings with them so far.

All the best,

Max

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Max - I'll try them. TBH I only used the s elect site as an example as they have an online configurator. I'll try euroimports though when ringing around next week. Thanks.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I'd have leather - the cloth looks like an old grannies shopping trolley IMHO. Many like it, but not for me. White? Looks great - but after three months on your driveway? No, I do not think so. It's a bit like yellow - looks great on everyone elses cars, but after a few months of ownership you do regret it (been there I'm afraid with a yellow Boxster). DSG? Nope, I like to be involved and I had it on a V6 TT that I was driving for a few months and kind of liked it, but still hankered after the manual. Maybe I'm not old enough for an automatic yet? (and yes it's still as near as damn it an automatic!). Xenons are a must and park sensors worth the extra is you can't park (like me). Sat Nav is something you have if you've got the money and want the ultimate spec (well, they chuck in the CD autochanger, armrest and Hi Line for the price too), aside from that, everything else you can add is only window dressing. Even taken as bog standard (xenons should be standard), the GTI is a fantastic car (even in White) [;)]

·
Registered
19 Posts
Leather is nice, but not at the price, even on import. I agree with you on white it is an aquired taste and it has to be a 3 door with 18s, it looks so good, swine to keep clean. I love the DSG, but I can see why you don't, I had never driven auto until I tried it, but the paddle shift is great.

Today I have ordered the following[:D] After having a nightmare trying to decide on spec, I feel like the DSG is a little expensive but was very impressed with it. Local Audi dealer told me demand was creating a large back log of orders for it on the A3...So it should help the car keep its value. I hopes!

• 5 Dr Tornado Red with DSG
  • Cruise
  • Armrest
  • Lux Pack 1
  • Park sensors
  • RCD 500
  • Highline Computer

Build is week 15 (April) so I should have it 1st May!! It seems so far away. Getting it from Euroimports, ?20591 all in, never spent that much on a car so it had better be good[:)]

Regards,

Max

·
Registered
307 Posts
I can't see the point on the xenons, never had, I think of them as a waste of money.  They are only lights for Christ sake (xenons), and when they go wrong or a bulb blows, it is an expensive fix by the dealer only.  Money better spent else where if you want my 2 pence worth.  But hey, I have sh*t for brains and have spent 9k (cost me) in the last 2 years swaping cars. So what do I know.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I can't see the point on the xenons, never had, I think of them as a waste of money. They are only lights for Christ sake (xenons), and when they go wrong or a bulb blows, it is an expensive fix by the dealer only. Money better spent else where if you want my 2 pence worth. But hey, I have sh*t for brains and have spent 9k (cost me) in the last 2 years swaping cars. So what do I know.
Yep, what do you know? Not a lot by the sound of it!

They should be standard, but given they're not, so an essential addition to the spec of any gti IMHO. In the grand scheme of things, adding a few hundred quid to the ?20k that the basic car costs is hardly going to be noticed! They're brighter and that means you can see more at night, QED, makes for safer driving, etc. I find them less tiring as well, the light being 'whiter' than the more 'yellow' beam generated by the standard hallogens. Well worth the money for most people. Like many will tell you, once you've had them on a car, you'll not want to go backwards and not have them. The only downside to xenons is they do dazzl. As for going wrong and being expensive - well, my TT has xenons and when a bulb had failed, it's been an inexpensive DIY job [:|]

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Today I have ordered the following[:D] After having a nightmare trying to decide on spec, I feel like the DSG is a little expensive but was very impressed with it. Local Audi dealer told me demand was creating a large back log of orders for it on the A3...So it should help the car keep its value. I hopes!

• Cruise
  • Armrest
  • Lux Pack 1
  • Park sensors
  • RCD 500
  • Highline Computer

Build is week 15 (April) so I should have it 1st May!! It seems so far away. Getting it from Euroimports, ?20591 all in, never spent that much on a car so it had better be good[:)]

Regards,

Max
Sorry to burst your bubble, but I very very much doubt that is a true date you will get your car (unless they are talking 2007).. People have had orders on DSG cars for 4 months and have an estimated build date later than yours. 5 weeks is just not going to happen, especially using an outside agent. I would contact them and get the delivery date in writing and an offer of compensation if they miss it.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Got to agree with that. I ordered my GTI in December 06 and they're telling me that I'll not have intil early May. There's an even longer wait for DSG cars. Assuming of course that Euroimports get the same deal with build dates as a VW dealer?  

·
Registered
310 Posts
I have been looking at importing a GTI (not made my mind up yet if I am going to do it) but after speaking to Euroimports they order cars well in advance as stock car and change the orders to a customers specs later on if they want a different spec, you will probaly find the DSG model has been on order since before christmas and they have changed the other specs around it.  They seem to have a good agreement where they can change the spec up until quite close to the builddate.

·
Registered
229 Posts

• Cruise
  • Armrest
  • Lux Pack 1
  • Park sensors
  • RCD 500
  • Highline Computer

Regards,

Max
Sorry to burst your bubble, but I very very much doubt that is a true date you will get your car (unless they are talking 2007).. People have had orders on DSG cars for 4 months and have an estimated build date later than yours. 5 weeks is just not going to happen, especially using an outside agent. I would contact them and get the delivery date in writing and an offer of compensation if they miss it.
I had this with Euroimports a few years back on an R32 - I built into the agreement that if the vehicle was delayed; then I would get my deposit back. It was and I did [;)]

I have a Week 15 build date for my DSG 3dr GTI [:)]

·
Registered
19 Posts
Are you getting your new GTI form Euroimports?? The car I wil get has been on order for a while and I have just changed the spec so I don't foresee any problems.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts