Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right then, (not that I'm indecisive!), I'm looking at a new 3 dr MkV GTTDI in silver or steel grey. Dealers have given me a fairly good deal - the car has been discounted to approx ?16,200 and they're offering me ?3200 for my car, which has 91k miles on it. They've also chopped the flat rate down to 5.1% with a little more room to spare, apparently. The only down side to this is the lack of dual climate control a/c and the only UK stock is lacking the arm rest [:(].

BUT......I've just read about the facelift model and the new 170ps GT TDI, which has thrown a few spanners in the works!!

I've also seen a GT TDI (June05), which I think has the dual zone a/c, 9.5k miles @?15,995. I reckon I'd get a better p/x value with this. Doing to see it tomorrow and get a p/x value.

Now for the questions!!!!!

Does anyone have an idea of prices for the 170ps TDI and a launch date?

Is dual zone a/c likely to return as standard on the 170ps??

Which of the 3 options would you go for.....do I wait for the 170ps? Do I go for the new 140ps? Do I go for the 2nd hand 140ps, with the dual zone?

Decisions decisions decisions........please help!!!!

Dave.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
I was in a similiar predicament a few weeks back so i recommend you do what i did and buy a GTI instead, you get dual zone climate as standard ya know...... [:p]

·
Super Moderator
8,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
?3200 doesn't seem much for yours?
No, must admit I was a little disaapointed. Initially, they offered me ?4k but were charging full list for the new car. Had a look at a brokers site and went back to the dealer, who pretty much matched the broker for the new car but then said that there's not enough margin to offer me ?4k.....they give with one hand and take with the other!! Would push them for ?3.5 to do the deal.

I was in a similiar predicament a few weeks back so i recommend you do what i did and buy a GTI instead, you get dual zone climate as standard ya know......
Stick out tongue [:P]
LOL!!!! I wish.....Unfortunately, I'm expecting to be doing a few more miles so diesel is the way to go. Shame really, they've got a nice GTI at the dealers and it looks so tempting but must resist!! lol

·
Registered
90 Posts
Why dont you try and sell yours privatly,Every time i have bought a new car i have always been in the same position as regards you get money off the new one and they just give you a lower trade in price.

You could try and get some acc thrown in with it.

I Bought a new 05 gt tdi 4motion and got met paint,dual climate,armrest with cd changer for 15,995 plus road tax.

From Parkway derby.

140hp seems good to me,plenty fast ,If you wait for the 170 it will cost a lot more for not that much more performance.Although the new gt has got GTI Brakes and 17" rims as standard .

Pete.

·
Registered
70 Posts
The extra power output will add ?900 to the price - details like 17" alloys will add ?450. Add a few other minor details and my guess would be ?1500 more than a GT TDI.

Golf facelifts are always very subtle and haven't affected the residuals on the Mk 3 and 4 models significantly.

I would wait for the car to be nearly replaced by a facelift - and get a highish-specced GT TDI from stock with an appropriate discount.

Or go used approved and haggle further - remember that a dealer will amke approx ?50 plus bonus for a new car and about ?750 profit from a used vehicle.

·
Registered
9 Posts
That's certainly a good finance rate. Is that on the balance after your px has been taken into account or are you putting some cash in as well (if you odn't mind me asking!)

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Why dont you try and sell yours privatly,Every time i have bought a new car i have always been in the same position as regards you get money off the new one and they just give you a lower trade in price.
Good idea.

What I did on buying the Golf was to get the dealer to agree on 2 deals. One with my trade in and other cash price for the car. I was happy with the trade in offer but thought I could make a few extra quid selling privately and paying a reduced cash price with them. In the end I just traded as I didn't get a good enough offer on my old car. Was nice to have the option though.

With my previous car (I was buying a MINI so no chance of any price reduction) they offered me a paltry amount for my trade in. I signed up with them but sold the car to someone for ?1100 than they were offering me for it. When I went to collect the car, the guy was like "where's your trade in?" I had great delight in telling him I'd sold it for what I had done [:)]

·
Super Moderator
8,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good idea.
Yeh, it's a very good idea. My only concerns are that I don't want to sell my car and not be able to find a suitable replacement as I can't afford to be without a car being self employed.

Kenl, I like your idea of the two options. Might have a word with the dealer on that one. The car has a private plate on it so I'd have to look into that too.

That's certainly a good finance rate. Is that on the balance after your px has been taken into account or are you putting some cash in as well (if you odn't mind me asking!)
Yes, putting in some cash too. Good rate though, much better than the 12% APR we started at!

@ Jabba, ?1500 extra would be money well spent I think, especially if they put the dual zone back in!! Do you think there's still extra discount left to play with at 16,200 for the current GT TDI?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi dave

I would go for a 2nd hand GT TDI DSG 140PS with toys - just like I did!

I sold my MINI Cooper S for 10K got my June 2004 (04) GT TDi DSG (5dr) in silver, with anthracite leather, sat nav, dual zone climate control, phone kit-all factory fitted etc for 16K.

The optional extras won it for me and the fact that although the car has done 42,000 in 20 months - with a diesel engine at least i know it has been run in well.

The 170PS brand new will retain a premium and to be honest a new shape 320d / 120d with 163bhp would be tempting...

I was playing with the idea of getting a new GT TDI 170PS or the new GTI however having a MINI Cooper S made me realise the high petrol running costs (and insurance) is not suitable for me - and to be honest my current 140PS Golf diesel is powerful enough for me!

I do a few miles now and again for work and get paid the standard 40p per mile - so hence i didn't get a company car. Planning to keep mine for years and yesrs (fingers crossed!)

·
Super Moderator
15,990 Posts
I would go for a 2nd hand GT TDI DSG 140PS with toys -
I agree - I have always bought new when I change my private cars..I'm looking at changing my BMW now and I can buy a 6-9 month old 320d with about 6K on it for ?22.5K - saving about ?4-?5K. I'm also looking at Audi where if you buy a 6 month old A4, you can save about ?3-4K.

Like dsg singh says, get someone else to pay for the extras and buy 2nd-hand

·
Registered
70 Posts
@ Jabba, ?1500 extra would be money well spent I think, especially if they put the dual zone back in!! Do you think there's still extra discount left to play with at 16,200 for the current GT TDI?
You can always try! If you sell privately you have the freedom to play dealers off against each other for the best price.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Yes, putting in some cash too. Good rate though, much better than the 12% APR we started at!
Not so sure that is a good finance rate. I'm pretty sure 5% flat equates to 9 or 10% APR. Check it out by comparing the monthly rate from the dealer with an online calculator.

I was talking to a Skoda dealer the other day and I'm sure he offered 4.5% flat without any persuation at all.

As for which car to go for- tough call! A new car doesn't really make a lot of sene financially, but there is just something about it being brand new and being able to tick the options you want.

And the 170 TDI? Well if it's just the performance then it probably isn't worth it 'cos you can re-map a 140 to well in excess of that, but I suppose we'll all just have to wait and see what the rest of the package is.

·
Registered
98 Posts
dual zone a/c is a waste of time when you are only 500mm away from the next person,hardly a loss................The new 170ps is going to be more than ?16.,200 so it is what you can afford.

A 140ps with a few miles is a good buy as someone else has run it in and it already has the odd mark on it.you know what I mean.......

go for a high speced GT 140 cant go wrong great torque and plenty of miles to the tank..........[Y]

Good Luck...

·
Super Moderator
8,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Right then, time for an update.

Been to another dealer today to view the 2nd hand 5 door GT TDI mentioned above (on at ?15,999), which is only ?200 less than the brand new 3dr! He's only offered me ?3,200 for my p/x! On the plus side, it's got the dual zone but no arm rest. Took it for a test-drive and I reckon I'm going to miss that feature if I don't have it. Also had a really annoying vibration from the centre console. Realistically, I think this one is out of the running.

Looks like i could well go for the new one and maybe wait the 10 weeks delivery for what I REALLY want in options. That's my thoughts at the moment anyway!!! [;)]

Dave.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Right then, (not that I'm indecisive!), I'm looking at a new 3 dr MkV GTTDI in silver or steel grey. Dealers have given me a fairly good deal - the car has been discounted to approx ?16,200 and they're offering me ?3200 for my car, which has 91k miles on it. They've also chopped the flat rate down to 5.1% with a little more room to spare, apparently. The only down side to this is the lack of dual climate control a/c and the only UK stock is lacking the arm rest [:(].

BUT......I've just read about the facelift model and the new 170ps GT TDI, which has thrown a few spanners in the works!!

I've also seen a GT TDI (June05), which I think has the dual zone a/c, 9.5k miles @?15,995. I reckon I'd get a better p/x value with this. Doing to see it tomorrow and get a p/x value.

Now for the questions!!!!!

Does anyone have an idea of prices for the 170ps TDI and a launch date?

Is dual zone a/c likely to return as standard on the 170ps??

Which of the 3 options would you go for.....do I wait for the 170ps? Do I go for the new 140ps? Do I go for the 2nd hand 140ps, with the dual zone?

Decisions decisions decisions........please help!!!!

Dave.
A flate rate of 5.1% still equates to around 10% APR - lots of peeps get ripped off like this. Get a bank loan!

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Order your car from a broker with a 9.5% discount, such as 'drivethedeal'. It will come from a UK main dealer anyway and you can talk finance with that dealer nearer to delivery time. As your old car is relativley lower in value the supplying dealer may well give you the ?3.2k or alternativley sell privately for ?3.5k. Paying ?16k for a used TDI is daft unless its got every option going and next to no miles. If it was ?15k I wouls say maybe you should go for it. That was how much I paid for mine when it was a used purchase around the same age as the one you are looking at.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts