Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
25,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Might take a look at what the auctions has to offer - I remember someone posted a link to site where you can pre-search auctions for the car you want, and create alerts etc.

Does anyone have the link?

Also has anyone ever bought a car from an auction? If so any tips?

Sorry for all the questions [:p]

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
You can usually check the cars over before the auction so go over it with a fine tooth comb, perhaps HPI it there and then if you can

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
I think you can register for BCA if not let us know what your interested in and your area and i'll ask the person who looks after the company account at BCA bellevue

·
Premium Member
25,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Steve thanks for the heads up, I think that was the site [Y]

I'm based in the North West (Liverpool) but can travel. I'm after either a 130/150PD sport in Indigo blue or Reflex Silver. Must have Climate - not bothered about mega miles. Looking to pay no more than 5k.

Most of the traders on Autotrader etc. must be picking their cars up from Auctions, so I think its time I cut out the middle man....

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
its british car auctions mark... do a search on google for them a ?10 fee gest you 40 searches I think.. no worries about HPI all cars are HPI'd at reputable auctions... definetly worth it. especially if you can get less than a 50000 miler as you can then arrange your own warranty.

My mate bought his lease vectra back 2 year old vectra 3.2 gsi 22 grand new 38000 miles and one owner he bought it back for ?7000 and dealers offered him ?7500 as a trade in six months later...

make sure you go a few times to get the vibe of the place...

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Bought a few Golfs for the family at BCA Preston and Manchester, normally buy the motability cars for the low mileage and servicing they have had.

http://www.british-car-auctions.co.uk/

As Andy said go to Auction View, cost me ?10 last June for so many searches in a month.

All the cars have been great, brother in law's car is still going[:O]

·
Registered
453 Posts
Im new here but just happened to stumble upon this thread! I got my Golf from the preston auctions about 3 weeks back. The car is in good condition, and I believe I got it for a pretty good price. I think its Indigo Blue (although I need to do a bit more research) and is a 1.6 16v SE 51 reg which I got for little over 3k. Thats a bargain to me as I'd been scouring AutoTrader for a while and couldnt find a Golf for that price, even for a much older Reg.

Its quite high milage and theres a few scratches and such on the paintwork, but other than that its perfect. One of the problems you will face is not being able to inspect the car fully- all cars are locked so you cant get under the hood or inside to check out what it has and hasnt got, but my tip would be to stand next to the car before it goes in, just as one of the employees starts it up, that way you can get a good listen of the engine. They'll usually let you lean in too and check it out, and if you ask them they'll usually pop the hood for you to so you can check that out quickly. I would recommend taking a friend with you, so you dont go crazy if and when you bid, and remember to do your research so you know your limits.

You may also find it hard to actually see any Golfs at the auctions- iirc the golf I picked up was the only one there! But as people have already mentioned, you can setup an account with BCA and use it to search which should save you a fair amount of time :)

Good luck matey !

·
Premium Member
25,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Excellent, thanks for all the replies [Y]

I'll hang on to see what Steve says before diving in.

From the looks of it they run brand specific auctions, there was a VW one the start of last month. Are they worth hanging on for, or is it best to keep on the ball and scour the generic auctions?

·
Registered
246 Posts
Bought a few Golfs for the family at BCA Preston and Manchester, normally buy the motability cars for the low mileage and servicing they have had.

http://www.british-car-auctions.co.uk/

As Andy said go to Auction View, cost me ?10 last June for so many searches in a month.

All the cars have been great, brother in law's car is still going[:O]
That sites fantastic, I pay ?15 for a 2 month membership (100 searches) & you can filter as much or as little as you want. I was looking for my Golf on there for ages & there are plenty going through in the North West but the mileages put me off most of them but seems as thats not an issue you should find 1 easily. The good thing about BCA (apart from the website) is they do a HPI check & guarantee most of the mileages (you'll be well informed if its not). I got my Golf for just under ?9000 (inc fees) & if I'd have bought it from the autotrader I was looking at at least ?11000 & it's absolutely immaculate.

You'll find a lot of the cars are from hire companys (mainly Lex in my experience) so the condition varies greatly, I went to see 1 around a week before I got mine & it was appalling, the last owner obviously didn't care about it because both the outside & inside were an absolute mess but like I say there are plenty in excellent condition. With my car I knew exactly what I wanted (low mileage 3 door 150 PD in excellent condition with FSH) & so it took me a while to find it, if you're not as specific you'll be able to get 1 a lot sooner.

As you can see I highly recommend it, keep us informed about how you get on [y]

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Only one on BCA details are ..

PJ53EORVOLKSWAGEN BORA 1.9 TDI PD 130 SE , 4 Doors, Saloon , SILVER , Diesel , Manual Transmission , 37,631 Miles, VAT Qualifying

It is a LEX vehicle which means I could possibly check the history, (we use LEX)

If your interested I'll find more details

Steve

·
Premium Member
25,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Cheers Steve, appreciate you having a look for me [Y] How easy is it to search, does it let you enter keywords and models etc. ?

I'm after a Sport model ideally. Might sign up next year for two months of searches as Kev mentions above - hopefully I should be able to pick something up.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
I just emailed em, I can get the search widened, there was only 1 car between Manchester and Preston, that one was at manchester. I'll see if I can get set up on the car finder. I'll also ask lex for a list of cars coming off fleet this month.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Cheers Steve, appreciate you having a look for me [Y] How easy is it to search, does it let you enter keywords and models etc. ?

I'm after a Sport model ideally. Might sign up next year for two months of searches as Kev mentions above - hopefully I should be able to pick something up.
It's really simple to use, there's a list of things that you can filter through as much or as little as you want to narrow the search right down or keep it nice & vague.

THIS is a link to a quick screen dump of the search page that might be useful

·
Premium Member
25,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
That doesn't look too bad does it!

Will certainly take a look at this next year for certain. Given the time of year I might wait until the end of January before I start to look - hopefully thats when 53 platers will start to trickle through?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts