Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to mesh my lower grilles but not sure the best way to do it, didnt really fancy taking the whole bumper off, was gona try and modify the standard inserts for a frame for the mesh. I desperately need some advice, please help!!

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
I've done this using some Ripspeed mesh from Halfrauds and a couple of cans of Plasticote paint.

Posted Image

I just gutted the orginals inserts to just leave the frames, then used small cable ties to attached the mesh to the frame. I did this as I had some Hofele grill for the smaller side vents;

Posted Image

Admitily, after 2 years, the paint has started to chip a bit

Posted Image

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cheers, but u meshed the easy one!!  its more difficult to do the sides coz the fittings are attached to the slats!! im quite tempted now to take my bumper off but not sure, its a big job for me!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Got my mesh in at the weekend, looks great, thanks for the help, ended up putting in the mesh in the original frames, so no messing around with bumper removals! il try get some pictures up at some point. [:)]

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Got my mesh in at the weekend, looks great, thanks for the help, ended up putting in the mesh in the original frames, so no messing around with bumper removals! il try get some pictures up at some point. [:)]
how is your mesh fixed to the original inserts? and what do you do when you need to take them out, i.e. to get to the towing eye or the bumper screws?

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
how is your mesh fixed to the original inserts? and what do you do when you need to take them out, i.e. to get to the towing eye or the bumper screws?
Personally I used small cable ties to attach my mesh to the frame on the inside, as for acess to the towing eye, I have attach cotton to the three tabs on the centre grill, which can be acessed via the valance.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
is the towing eye behind the centre one? i can't remember

how does the cotton thing work?

i've not looked at the grills or how they fit since i removed mine last year and crudely fitted some mesh without them

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
is the towing eye behind the centre one? i can't remember

how does the cotton thing work?

i've not looked at the grills or how they fit since i removed mine last year and crudely fitted some mesh without them
The towing eye is on the off side IIRC, because of my Hofele grills on the sides, these can't be removed easily from the outside of the vehicle. The cotton on the center grill, allows me to release the center grill, so I can stick my hand inside the bumper to remove either side grill.

The other benefit of the cotton, is that if the grill works it's way loose, the cotton suspends the grill off the ground, means I cause no damage and can never lose the grill;

Posted Image

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
when you say cotton you mean a strand of cotton?

so you can definately get the sides off with just access to the middle? thats handy

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
ok, sorry to be a hassle but where have you got the 'cord' attached?

is it visible?
Just taken some more photo's which will help explain.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Once the grill is in place, the excess cord is tucked down the vents on the lower valance, so is hidden.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
thanks for your effort on this one, appreciated

so where do you grab the cord (and which way do you pull it) when you wanna remove the grill?

hopefully that along with having a look at my grill i'll understand how it all works (you must think i'm stupid)

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
thanks for your effort on this one, appreciated

so where do you grab the cord (and which way do you pull it) when you wanna remove the grill?

hopefully that along with having a look at my grill i'll understand how it all works (you must think i'm stupid)
No problem, it's a simple design.

You just pull the 3 cords, which at one end are attached to one of the plastic tabs that keep the grill in place, at the other are tied together.

Pulling the cords, lowers the tabs, which releases the grill, hey presto.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
cool, i assumed the tabs must be pretty stiff and require some serious pulling, i think i will give it a go

quite like to get some black plastic mesh cos then it won't chip like the stuff i've got (obviously you're finding the same issue)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts