Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right my first brake light bulb has failed, been in about 3 months.

So my thoughts are that LED brake bulbs should last longer as they shouldn't overheat due to the close proximity of the filter lens.

Anybody tried LED brake bulbs or LEB bulbs generally.

TIA

Paul

·
Registered
771 Posts
Not tried them myself but I'm very tempted to change to them for brake/tail lights.

If you fitted these you probably wouldn't need the filter inside the lense - giving a cleaner look.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Quote: posted by PhatPhil on 13/09/2004 18:18:12

Not tried them myself but I'm very tempted to change to them for brake/tail lights.

If you fitted these you probably wouldn't need the filter inside the lense - giving a cleaner look.

Ive got In Pros M3 and these bulbs might just be what i'm looking for, i wonder if they'll fit though!

·
Registered
296 Posts
There are various styles you can buy, some point straight out of the cluster and some out straight out and sideways to incorporate the reflector, so they give a wider light. Have a look at:

http://www.ultraleds.co.uk (great stuff and great prices)

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Quote: posted by induct on 13/09/2004 19:17:32

There are various styles you can buy, some point straight out of the cluster and some out straight out and sideways to incorporate the reflector, so they give a wider light. Have a look at:

http://www.ultraleds.co.uk (great stuff and great prices)

yeah I've had a good look and ordered (380) 15mm Baynet 24 White Led Stop & Tail Special @ ?9.40 so i'll be the test dummy and let you know...

·
Registered
296 Posts
I know that the Inpro M3 cluster have a red filter for the stop tail lights, but you should get red leds aswell not white. White only for reversing.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Quote: posted by induct on 13/09/2004 19:43:04

I know that the Inpro M3 cluster have a red filter for the stop tail lights, but you should get red leds aswell not white. White only for reversing.

Oh s**t i ordered the wrong ones [:I][:I] I didn't mean those ones I wondered why they were ?9 instead of ?12 (why ?3 more i don't know) (380) 15mm Baynet 24 Red Led Stop & Tail (Pair) just sent an e-mail to them to cancel the previos order!

But wait a min I had white bulb in my old rear cluster (didn't realise till I took them off) had no problems.......

·
Registered
296 Posts
Mmmm, was it a standard filament bulb? If so, there is a difference whether what colour bulb you should have depending if you have LED's or Filamnet Bulbs, I think its to do with getting the maxium light output in Lumens.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
WOW they just sent me an e-mail saying that they've changed my order(still at work at this time of the night??) anyway will let you know how they look when I get them!!

Thanks for the info/help peeps!!

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
OK mate not a problem - I would say however that I think that you should be looking at 382 as the Golf stop light is a single filiment bulb.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
yeah just checked with the guy at UltraLed's, he's changed my order for me but both won't be in stock till around 20th September. but these are the ones (382) 15mm Baynet 25 Red Led Single Filament Superior Ver (Pair)

we'll get there in the end!! i'll let you know the outcome/fittings/looks etc....

·
BORA owner!!!!!!
1,624 Posts
Hi people, ive got the led rear brake bulbs fitted from ultraleds, they are the ones that light up red ,dont get the ones that light up white as the red ones are brighter, mine are the 24 led version with six leds which are side facing, they light up instantly, but are still not the same as the normal filament bulb, as they do not evenly light up the brake light lense cluster, the light is more concentrated in the area of the bulb, if any one is close by to edmonton north london, id be happy to show you.

cheers zak

·
Registered
89 Posts
No, but heard they are not that reliable!

Check out my wibe site/ www.carimpressions.co.uk for a personal sketch of your pride n joy.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts