Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok here goes guys, im trying to change my bulbs , dont have a driveway so cant go dismantling bumpers ettc, tryd to change the sidelight, got to it got it out, then tryed to take it out of its metal casing so i could slip the new bulb in, is seems a wire is soldered onto (the bulb) it?!... whats this all about?

next trying to change the main beam bulb but i cant get to the clips?! anyne helppp me?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VW-GOLF-MK4-XENON-ICE-BLUE-BULBS-UPGRADE-SET-HID_W0QQitemZ260074236539QQihZ016QQcategoryZ72235QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

i have the 2 smal ones in the pic above ^

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i am trying to put the blue small sidelight bulbs in the link above in my gt tdi headlights however how do i do this, ive taken my old sidelights out and they have a metal casing around them i tryed to pull just the bulb out of the casing and it is soldered on, have i got the wrong bulbs or what? edit i have noticed i can unplug my whole sidelight from a plug and enclose a pic of my current sidelight and the ones i want to replace them with

Posted Image

thanks

·
Registered
530 Posts
I am by no means a technical person, but that wiring doesn't look right!

I changed all my bulbs before xmas and remember that my sidelights were enclosed in a long round black plug which i pulled out of the headlight casing with a small pair of pliers and just replaced the bulb.

Have you owned this car from new? as i think this is a mod someone has done!

This is the best pic i can find on the net! Your sidelight should go into the other end of that black plug with the green arrow and pushed back into place.

I may be wrong now, im sure someone more technical would prove me right or wrong.

Cheers

Noel

·
Registered
674 Posts
That doesn't look like a mk4 light to me....

Undo the clip which is attached to the wiring plug and remove the cover. You should be able to see the side light bulb at the bottom of the light. All you need to do is pinch it between your fingers and pull it out. Then take out the bulb and pop in your new blue ones. You should then just be able to push the side light back in the hole.....you should hear it click back into place....

Only thing needed his a bit of patience and girl like hands to get into the space between the lights and your battery

Good Luck

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ahhh LOL stupid me, explains why my fuse for my fogs keeps blowing, ive fukd the bulb lol! well on to my next q then, if i have rear and front fogs, will these be shown on my fusecard, or is it just one fuse for both fogs front and back? or do i not have rear fogs? if its not on my fusecard. my light switch shows i have rear and front fogs. but my fusecard doesnt

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
nice one mate, any idea how much a new front foglight bulb costs lol and also which bulb is it on the rear (so i can see if theyr blown) ?

·
Registered
621 Posts
Rear fog bulbs can't be more than a few quid each. The arrows show the location within the cluster. Not sure if you are going to have one either side or just one on the drivers side. Mine has one, as I think with two, the person behind might not realise that your braking (with so much red light at the back) until it's to late. Only my 2p though, your car, your choice.

Posted Image

HTH

Carl

·
Super Moderator
50,213 Posts
ok here goes guys, im trying to change my bulbs , dont have a driveway so cant go dismantling bumpers ettc, tryd to change the sidelight, got to it got it out, then tryed to take it out of its metal casing so i could slip the new bulb in, is seems a wire is soldered onto (the bulb) it?!... whats this all about?

next trying to change the main beam bulb but i cant get to the clips?! anyne helppp me?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VW-GOLF-MK4-XENON-ICE-BLUE-BULBS-UPGRADE-SET-HID_W0QQitemZ260074236539QQihZ016QQcategoryZ72235QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

i have the 2 smal ones in the pic above ^
Dude,take your bumper off! Especially as you have the luxury of a driveway to work on,it's nowhere near as traumatic as everyone seems to think.There is only something like 15 relatively small and easy to remove screws or bolts holding it on,even if you've never done it before,it still shouldn't take more than about 20 minutes to do.Not only does it make the job of working on the nearside headlight a hundred times (at least) easier,you can also clean all those little nooks and crannies you can't normally get to.

Chris.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
lol mate, i said i didnt have a driveway, so be it ill try and remove the bumper anyway, are there screws in the arches do i have to take wheels off 2 remove?

·
Super Moderator
50,213 Posts
Sorry,misread it.Four T20 in each wheelarch,five T30 after taking grill off,and two T30 inside the lower grills at corners of bumper.The only tricky bit is the bit you pull to open the bonnet,you need to flip back the spring clip,and then carefully lever the gap open with a flat bladed screwdriver,and watch where the very small parts fall.

Chris.

·
Registered
674 Posts
The only tricky bit is the bit you pull to open the bonnet,you need to flip back the spring clip,and then carefully lever the gap open with a flat bladed screwdriver,and watch where the very small parts fall.
When I changed my grill over I had a real headache trying to get the little bleeder back on....thought I was going to break the thing.

So, last time I removed my bumper I left the grill hanging on....I just
lifted the grill up and over the sides of the bumper. Taking off was no
problem.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Dam all that just to change a god dam light bulb remove bumper etc ..... what a nightmare !

·
Super Moderator
50,213 Posts
Dam all that just to change a god dam light bulb remove bumper etc ..... what a nightmare !
Not once you've done it a few times,only takes about ten minutes tops.Or change all your bulbs at least once a year regardless of whether they need changing or not,so there's much less chance of it happening at a bad time.

Chris.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts