Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
trying to change the buld on my front headlights

and had to give up,sore hands, broke the new bulb

there has to be an easy way of doing it.

please someone enlighten me,coz i am well slightly intoxicated off

·
Registered
207 Posts
Quote: posted by MikeTDI on 18/04/2005 22:20:58

the only way to do it is to take the front bumper off. i know, sad innit!

Do you know how easy it is to revoe the bumper to change HL?

Any diagrams would sure be handy [:)]

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
Try getting a young attractive female to take your car and the new bulbs to the dealers. I'm sure the mechanics will be pleased to help. [;)]

·
Registered
207 Posts
Quote: posted by Carlos on 18/04/2005 23:05:14

Try getting a young attractive female to take your car and the new bulbs to the dealers. I'm sure the mechanics will be pleased to help. [;)]

Yeah i can picture it now. Short skirt, long boots and ............... [^]

No seriously, i need a guide. I tend to break things [:I]

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
I didn't take the bumper off...its fiddly as hell but I did mine in about 20 minutes.

And yes our engine bays are identical

·
Registered
436 Posts
dont take bumper off there aint no need just take the black plastic backin off. and on passenger side need remove 2 screws and remove plastic,the metal clip on holdin the bulb should push back and to he left,shouldnt have a problem unless someone bent the clips before, if still stuck just get a little mirror in the day so can see where the clip needs go,

·
Registered
207 Posts
Quote: posted by Mikedav on 18/04/2005 23:22:01

I didn't take the bumper off...its fiddly as hell but I did mine in about 20 minutes.

And yes our engine bays are identical

Did you have to loosen the HL fixtures? or remove any part of the engine?

·
Registered
436 Posts
no matey the only think have to take off is the back headlight cover which has metal clip holding it on, and battery side need take 2 screws out and remove plastic cover then the back plastic of the headlight,they are tricky if not done before jus remember the clip holdin bulb in goes back and to the left,

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
1. Remove panel marked with a headlight symbol - slides up and out. Unclip retainer bar things

2. Unplug electric thing in the back of the headlight

Retaining loop holding bulb straight is held by a little notch - push the ring 'down' towards your leg / into the headlight and lift slightly to unhook it (DON'T undo the screw, believe me)

3. Sidelight bulb can be 'wiggled out'

4. Main bulb can be pulled out, but fiddly

5. Reverse process, move to passenger side which takes 1/4 of the time as you have figured out how to do it. Only other trim I removed was a panel bit on the passenger side, as the battery was in the way

·
Registered
49 Posts
When I changed my left front indicator the bulb had fallen out of the base and was free floating in the Headlight assembly.

Took a screwdriver, double-sided tape and a bit of finesse to get that sucker out of there!

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Echo the aboves... I changed all my bulbs in the GTI and the V64mo without removing the bumper! My hands got scratched up soo much at first but now I cann do both left and right in 20 mins.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Quote: posted by MikeTDI on 19/04/2005 11:32:27

you guys must have tiny willys.

Shhhhhhh don't tell any one!![:I] Naa I was just so determined NOT to take off the bumpers. I will not be defeated! lol But s**t did I get my hands injured the first few times[:O]and in the cold its worst!

·
Registered
107 Posts
I found it fiddly enough changing a bulb with the headlight unit removed from the car!

As for as I'm concerned, removing the headlights is the best way to go. It is long winded at first, but after taking the bumper off to get at my angel eyes several times in the last few weeks, my mate and I can get the bumper and lights off and on within 30 minutes - and no scatched hands! lol

·
Registered
11 Posts
My headlamp bulb replacement is a quarterly event for me...and they both always go within a week of each other. I now do it in the dark, and my "hands" are quite large thankyouverymuch. I have it down to 5 minutes....no bumper removal. I just have to sacrifice some flesh to the gods of VW headlamps....

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
cheers

i will give it a go again in the summer once i but more feckin bulbs

and the neighbors calm down after my outburst at 0900 on sunday mornin

1 - 20 of 24 Posts