Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
.....got stopped for a headlight being out. Replaced the nearside bulb 2 weeks ago (1st time) and the offside side headlight must have blown today.

Anyway, got stopped, Policeman had 21 years of service, explained why I had been stopped, checked the car (tyres, tax, general condition, all lights, contents), checked me, and his probationer mate read me my rights under caution and gave me a "get it fixed in 21 days ticket".

Had a chat and a chuckle with them both, said it would be fixed ASAP and he explained it has to be checked by an MOT station, stamped and returned. Bit of a pain, especially as some garages charge for this, but much better this than a box at the side of the road that would never have spotted my bulb or the fact I could have been drunk, driving with no tax, bald tyres etc.

Very sad these guys and gals are being replaced by money making devices that are less effective at promoting, checking and enforcing true safety.

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
I can't believe you so calm about it.

I'd be livid if I'd had gone through that over a blown bulb.

I'd expect to be told to get it fixed and a worst a producer but not that, maybe Scots law / procedure is different ?

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
Thing is what would you do at the roadside ?

I can't change my front bulbs without having the bumper off.

·
I ain't no effin padawan
1,429 Posts
Horace

Agree with you completely. Dealt with with proper respect for all parties concerned.

We need more of them to catch the drunk, uninsured winkers out there. Rather have a lecture from someone with a lot of training than a ticket for breaking an arbitrary number or law.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Bad luck to get stopped though Horace. There are a load of cars out there with one headlight gone - the latest seems to be to use your foglights as well as the one remaining, to compensate. Most cars are easy enough to change the bulb, but for some it's easier still not to bother.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I can't believe you so calm about it.

I'd be livid if I'd had gone through that over a blown bulb.

I'd expect to be told to get it fixed and a worst a producer but not that, maybe Scots law / procedure is different ?
I got stopped for a brake light being out, and given a producer and was read my rights etc... I must admit that I was a bit livid, and thought that common sense would prevail and they would say "get it sorted and be on your way son".. but oh no I had to go to an MOT station etc who charged me ?5 just for a stamp. It was a complete waste of time. That was Derbyshire Police, I got stopped by South Yorkshire Police for a different light being out and they just said get it fixed.. I now keep a set of spare bulbs in the back of the car, and if they stop me again, I will say that I checked them all before starting my journey and that I will replace it infront of them and be on my way.... (although the reality of this happening is very slim) ..

·
Registered
333 Posts
I hate busybody police like this......

When the police stop cars they will have checked to see if the car is insured b4 you even speak to them the majority of the time... (and people who tax and insure their cars tend to look after their cars and not drive around with blown bulbs for months)

I had a pair of idiots stop me a year ago on the m621 motorway (leeds) at 9pm on a saturday night. (Motorway was dead)

They said they had followed me for 1/2 a mile and that my average speed was 58.9mph (50 limit).

They could have given me a talking to for being 8.9mph over the limit.... but no...... the twatss gave me 3 points and a 60 quid fine.

To top it off they gave me an Sp60 (undefined speeding offence) which hammers your insurance more than any other SP code.
I complained to the ticket office saying it should be an SP50 because i was on a motorway (Sp50 isnt as bad on insurance as an SP60), The ticket office wouldnt budge and left the sp60 on my licence.

Majority of police are waste of space in my opinion...(each time ive been burgled they have never turned up, and the majority ive come across have been obnoxious)

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I hate busybody police like this......

When the police stop cars they will have checked to see if the car is insured b4 you even speak to them the majority of the time... (and people who tax and insure their cars tend to look after their cars and not drive around with blown bulbs for months)

I had a pair of idiots stop me a year ago on the m621 motorway (leeds) at 9pm on a saturday night. (Motorway was dead)

They said they had followed me for 1/2 a mile and that my average speed was 58.9mph (50 limit).

They could have given me a talking to for being 8.9mph over the limit.... but no...... the twatss gave me 3 points and a 60 quid fine.

To top it off they gave me an Sp60 (undefined speeding offence) which hammers your insurance more than any other SP code.
I complained to the ticket office saying it should be an SP50 because i was on a motorway (Sp50 isnt as bad on insurance as an SP60), The ticket office wouldnt budge and left the sp60 on my licence.

Majority of police are waste of space in my opinion...(each time ive been burgled they have never turned up, and the majority ive come across have been obnoxious)
To be fair, these lads had no car with them and were stood at the side of the road in the freezing cold, one obviously going through the ropes with the other. Their sole purpose of duty yesterday evening was to do winter vehicle safety checks on random cars. Obviously a vehicle with a headlight out is more likely to get stopped than others.

The probationer was nervous and made a couple of wee mistakes in his "rights" speech (I watch the Bill too often to know he was wrong lol!). However he did his part correctly despite his hands being numb with cold.

Far from thinking these guys are a waste of space, I think it is great I was stopped. The lads did their assigned task professionally, correctly and with courtesy. They could have just as easily stopped another car with bald tyres, no tax, no MOT, driver drunk and/or uninsured in posession of drugs or a haul from a burglary etc etc.

In my opinion, every camera should be replaced by 2 of these guys. If this happened, the roads would be much safer and there would be much less aversion against "Safety Partnerships" etc. Also completely agree with Wilko.

We need more of them to catch the drunk, uninsured winkers out there. Rather have a lecture from someone with a lot of training than a ticket for breaking an arbitrary number or law.
Well said [y]

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Here here Horace, I got a fine about 6 months ago for not wearing a seatbelt. I took my ?30 fine and wasn't bothered one bit as the guys treated me with respect.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Got to say I have no time for the Police at all. They are totally hopeless in all aspects.

My car got broken into about a year ago and when I reported it all I got was a crime number, there was no concern at all, not even a police car came near my street. Also, my future mother-in-law is a missing person and has been for 4 years. When she first went missing the police were out questioning the family, carried out local searches etc., all in the first 3 days she went missing, then there was the odd police visit to keep the family updated with progress which eventually dwindled away to nothing.

They always seem to be parked up in my local mini Morrisons / BP petrol station stocking up on munchies and doing nothing.

I currently have a xenon thats playing up a bit and was not working last week. Driving down a main road a Police Focus pulls out infront of me a few hundred yards down the road and I think "he's gonna pull me", I then I notice he has a headlight out too, and he just drives by me.

Think there are a lot more important things they could be doing than pulling drivers for having a bulb out.

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Give me a copper pulling me over anyday over a jobsworth hiding in a van behind a camera.

At least police take into account things around you and follow you for that certain distance before pulling you over. The camera is just a split second frame in a whole other load of events.

If the police pulled me over like they did horace, I'd have nothing to complain about. It's all good in my view and doesn't happen enough. I have nothing to hide with either car, so why should I be worried? I know full well that I wouldn't have 6 points on my licence if the police had 'caught' me as the number of times I have actually followed police at speeds of up to 90mph is silly. They don't batter an eyelid, they can hardly stop you and catch you doing something behind them, they want to do 90mph, so will I, and they are quite happy with that. Camera wouldnt be.

If a driver has a bulb out, whats to stop that driver having dodgy brakes, dodgy tyres etc? Your more likely to get pulled having a bulb out than if you drive past with bulbs working, thats just common sense.

BigA, how can you say they have better things to be doing? They are doing proper safety checks, these are the things that STOP accidents. MUCH MUCH better than a camera which won't pick up the driver with dodgy brakes, lights out, drunk behind the wheel rolling along on bald tyres....will only pick up the fully maintained beemer doing 5mph over the limit.....who's more dangerous.....these guys are there stopping these things, and that's what road safety should be.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
BigA, how can you say they have better things to be doing? They are doing proper safety checks, these are the things that STOP accidents. MUCH MUCH better than a camera which won't pick up the driver with dodgy brakes, lights out, drunk behind the wheel rolling along on bald tyres....will only pick up the fully maintained beemer doing 5mph over the limit.....who's more dangerous.....these guys are there stopping these things, and that's what road safety should be.
True I can see where you are coming from, but the world of policing doesn't just revolve around motoring offences. Like I said my prospective mother-in-law has been missing for just over 4 years and the support my fiances family receive is in its self criminal. I fully understand that she is not the only missing person in the UK and after so long the police have to turn their attention to other cases, but not even a liaison officer just to reassure the family that the police are still on the lookout and keeping their files open. The National Missing Persions Helpline have been more of a support doing everything possible. Crime in general seems to be taking a back seat, last year we had 2 rival gangs from God knows where doing battle in our street because it is nice and long and could charge at each other and hurl all sorts of objects at each other. When the police were called, it took them just over 2 hours to come and investigate once everything had returned to normal. Sorry, just my view but can't say I'm big fans of the police.

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
And lets not forget Horace, you were almost criminalised for nothing. Respect, I don't think so.

You read about and see on television (Road Wars Sky 1) scroats actually doing far far worse than simply having a bulb out and getting away Scot free (pun intended!)

I think you were treated terribly considering that you no doubt behaved like a model citizen, a few words to you would have been enough like "Ok Sir, please get that light fixed."

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
And lets not forget Horace, you were almost criminalised for nothing. Respect, I don't think so.

You read about and see on television (Road Wars Sky 1) scroats actually doing far far worse than simply having a bulb out and getting away Scot free (pun intended!)

I think you were treated terribly considering that you no doubt behaved like a model citizen, a few words to you would have been enough like "Ok Sir, please get that light fixed."
Must admit that the 21 day ticket was not very welcome, especially as it is gonna double the cost of the bulb by the time I spend time going to an MOT station and pay them ?5 to check and stamp the docket and then post it back.

Gonna re-start carrying all my spare bulbs in the car so I can fix it there and then [y]

·
Registered
752 Posts
Must admit that the 21 day ticket was not very welcome, especially as it is gonna double the cost of the bulb by the time I spend time going to an MOT station and pay them ?5 to check and stamp the docket and then post it back.

Gonna re-start carrying all my spare bulbs in the car so I can fix it there and then [y]
Shoot... I have a headlight bulb out at the moment, off to get a new one tonight then! Where abouts was it that you got stopped?

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
Last time I got pulled for a taillight bulb out, I got a producer for my docs and had to pop up the station, and as well as produce my docs, get one of the admin girls out on the desk to come out, check it was working, and tick/stamp the box, end of.

I know insurance/tax/MOT systems are much more sophisticated these days (it was a few years back) and can be verified roadside, but I find it daft that you now have to go to an MOT station and maybe have to pay ?5 just for a stamp saying a tester has confirmed it is sorted. They are obviously too busy these days doing important stuff...

As for going through your car, thats a bit naughty. I would have asked them on what grounds.

·
Registered
586 Posts
As a side point I blew a headlight bulb a few weeks ago on a Wednesday and didn't get a chance to change it until the following weekend (bumper off etc). I had the bulb in my glovebox (out of interest does anyone keep gloves in it?) in case I got stopped but also used my front fogs for the few days to give an extra bit of light for safety, so no-one thought I was a motorbike and the sidelights are crap. Maybe worth considering if it happens to any of you. Passed a few police cars without any probs.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
.....got stopped for a headlight being out. Replaced the nearside bulb 2 weeks ago (1st time) and the offside side headlight must have blown today.

Anyway, got stopped, Policeman had 21 years of service, explained why I had been stopped, checked the car (tyres, tax, general condition, all lights, contents), checked me, and his probationer mate read me my rights under caution and gave me a "get it fixed in 21 days ticket".

Had a chat and a chuckle with them both, said it would be fixed ASAP and he explained it has to be checked by an MOT station, stamped and returned. Bit of a pain, especially as some garages charge for this, but much better this than a box at the side of the road that would never have spotted my bulb or the fact I could have been drunk, driving with no tax, bald tyres etc.

Very sad these guys and gals are being replaced by money making devices that are less effective at promoting, checking and enforcing true safety.
A mature sensible attitude there DJ, unlike some of the other narrow minded opinions that get voiced on here about the boys and girls in blue.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts