Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ordered RS6 and when they turned up were RS4...ARHHHH

Anyway phoned the guy and decided to try a RS4 out on the car. I know there common but feel in love and so keeping them.

Got tyres and rims for ?100 cheaper than the RS6 because I phoned the guy back and he gave me the money off.

So a cheap upgrade really.

Anyway the ride height looks fine on the PD150. I know its not like really low but its no 4 X 4.

I cant lower it because I do drive into fields with my car when going to moto-cross meetings. So lowering it isnt an option really.

Should I do anything to the wheels before fitting or using them

Many thanks guys

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
where u buy them from, rochford?

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
where u buy them from, rochford?
From this ebay shop called RnR

I brought RS6 first and then got sent the wrong wheels. They sent me RS4 wheels. I quite like them now.

Do I need to change the setup of the car?

·
Registered
105 Posts
the only thing you may need to check checked over is the camber and tracking...most places recommend a getting this checked every 6 months - well this was wot i was told when i last went

RR

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok many thanks

The front wheels stick out alittle more than the rears, is this correct?

The tyre size is 225/45/18

Thanks

·
Registered
5,416 Posts
How much are they sticking out by?? also to even things up a bit you could put spacers on the rear to give it that phat look.

Sat

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
How much are they sticking out by?? also to even things up a bit you could put spacers on the rear to give it that phat look.

Sat
Well about an 1 inch maybe

But the back wheels dont stick out as much as the front

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
What offset are they ?? 35mm at a guess ??

As long as they dont stick out of the arches, they are fine. I think the rears do sit a bit farther into the arches, but spacers can sort that out if you desire.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What offset are they ?? 35mm at a guess ??

As long as they dont stick out of the arches, they are fine. I think the rears do sit a bit farther into the arches, but spacers can sort that out if you desire.
How do you know what the offset is ?

The car is standard which had monty IIs on it. I replaced them with 18" RS4 rims. The guy never spoke about offset.

Yes the back is more into the arch than the front. The front wheel is more out than I would like really.

Can I measure the offset ? I could take a pic if that would help..?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
The offset should be stamped on the wheel somwhere around the area where the bolts go on, or on the inside of the wheel. Most aftermarket wheels are 35mm as this is a generic fit.

The offset cannot realistically be accurately measured DIY, but as long as they dont stick out past the arches, I wouldn't worry about it. However a inch difference sounds like a lot.

If it helps I have a 5mm+ offset difference front to back and my rears sit further in than the fronts too, so in summary the rears generally require a lower offset to make them look the same as the front.

If there is a LARGE difference then understeer can be induced, but unless you plan on racing the car, I wouldn't be too bothered !!

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The offset should be stamped on the wheel somwhere around the area where the bolts go on, or on the inside of the wheel. Most aftermarket wheels are 35mm as this is a generic fit.

The offset cannot realistically be accurately measured DIY, but as long as they dont stick out past the arches, I wouldn't worry about it. However a inch difference sounds like a lot.

If it helps I have a 5mm+ offset difference front to back and my rears sit further in than the fronts too, so in summary the rears generally require a lower offset to make them look the same as the front.

If there is a LARGE difference then understeer can be induced, but unless you plan on racing the car, I wouldn't be too bothered !!
Ok thanks

I emailed the guy and he said they would be 35 or 45.

I will check tomorrow. I take it that the 35 is in more than the 45?

So wouldnt 45 on the back and 35 on the front be the best fit?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts