Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

Broken Key-ish... Warrenty or not?

1K views 17 replies 6 participants last post by  TheDevil 
#1 ·
My key has broken-ish.

The silver bit where u attatch a keyring to has snapped off on one side.

Is this covered by warrenty at all?

#11 ·
U can definatly transfer the battery cover over (which the metal keychain part is part of) which what I'll be doing.

The button part where the alarm is, I'm not sure u can transfer that over, as it seems to be bonded on.

The flip key part, I would like to know if this can be exchanged
over as my flip key isn't flipping all that well anymore (if that makes
sense!)

#12 ·
If I was you I would buy a new uncut key off e-bay, go to your local key cut shop and have it cut. If you flip open the key point the VW badge away from you and then pull down both sides like you are breaking a chocolate bar with your thumbs underneath the key pad part then comes out.

Put the key pad in the new key (this has the PCB underneath and is what will do the alarm etc) and hey presto sorted.

I am presuming that there is no gadgetry in the top part of the key which I cannot open (the part where the silver button and key is)

Anyway Ive got a key coming in a few days and will let you know if it works.

The stealers must be nuts charging ?130

#14 ·
Just got the key out which saves getting a new
one cut, open the key half way and you will notice a small pin going
through it, get a small punch and tap it out, key will then come out of
the casing, attach to the new key and re-insert pin.
TOP MAN

I'll be doing this next week ;)

#16 ·
Well thats a pain in the ass my presumption above is wrong "I am presuming that there is no gadgetry in the top part of the key which I cannot open"

Looks like the VW badge has to come off aswell so that you can swap over that little chip thing, gonna be stressed trying to get that off my new key without damaging it, oh well, Ill let you know how I get on.

#18 ·
lol, Im actually thinking of using a real small wood bit and drilling a small hole through the plastic from behind (inside the case so no hole will be visible), shouldn't go through the metal badge, then pushing the VW badge off from behind with something thin.

Oh well this is starting to sound really sad, especially on a Friday night.

I WILL NOT BE BEATEN!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.