Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will start occasionally and idle at strange rpm's won't rev over 4000 ever and eml and epc lights are on.

Rev gauge seems to jump occasionally when ignition is on but engine not running?

Rev gauge seems to have spasms but the are related to engine rpm so i think the gauge triggering is ok but here are the list of codes vag com gives out:

18041 - Accelerator Position Sensor 2 (G185): Signal too Low

P1633 - 002 - Lower Limit Exceeded

17811 - EGR System: Regulation Deviation

P1403 - 008 - Implausible Signal

18321 - Pressure Sensor for Brake Boost (G294): Short to Ground

P1913 - 002 - Lower Limit Exceeded

17477 - NOx Sensor (G295) Heater Control: Short to Ground

P1069 - 002 - Lower Limit Exceeded

16706 - Engine Speed Sensor (G28): No Signal

P0322 - 004 - No Signal/Communication - Intermittent

18322 - Pressure Sensor for Brake Boost (G294): Implausible Signal

P1914 - 002 - Lower Limit Exceeded

19498 - Heater Regulation: Implausible Signal

P3042 - 002 - Lower Limit Exceeded - Intermittent

Readiness: 1110 0101

Any help would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Time to reset and drive for a day then scan again. Rough idle can be due tomthe egr, throttlebody alignment or crank sensor. Crank sensor normally causes the car to either not start cold or to cutout when hot.
The pressure switch could be faulty but more than likely to be a vacuum leak. Check all tiny vac lines.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cars been like this for a couple of days it drove fine for about half a mile this morning after having the battery disconnected. Then back to blackpool illuminations and no power. Idling high once reved and poor starting intermittantly mainly when hot.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Start off with the free fixes, try doing a throttle body alignment preferably after cleaning it.
Next in the list would be a crank sensor.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Throttle body cleaning and realligning failed miserabley the car drove awesome for 3 miles but when warm christmas tree lights and dodgy running back again hopefully crank sensor and not egr/ nox cos there not cheap

·
Registered
3 Posts
16706 - Engine Speed Sensor (G28): No Signal

P0322 - 004 - No Signal/Communication - Intermittent

this is very critical error. I ignored this error on my Golf 4, 1.6 FSI, 2002.

Initially it cut the rpm to max 3000. after a few more miles, it cut the engine completely.

I reset the error, removed the battery plus, and then it started again and drove fine for 700miles more.

Then it just died. Completely. Nothing I could do. After a research on the net, it turns out this sensor is responsible for the engine crankshaft status. Without it, the engine can't work.

So, I bought a new sensor, but I can't seem to find it.

If anyone knows where I could find the sensor, i'd be really grateful.

From what I read, the sensor should be on the right side of the engine, next to the gearbox. I looked in front and on the back of the engine , but could not find it.

Any ideas?

Thanks

·
Shell's best customer
3,227 Posts
On a mk4, if that's what you're actually asking for...

It's under the engine cover, right hand side on top of the head. Held down with a single 5mm hex.

This thread is about a Mk5 1.6 FSI

HTH.

·
Registered
3 Posts
sorry about the location of my post. i searched the forum and i couldn't find a related topic to my golf :(

Can an admin move my post to mk4 threads?

Thanks HTH.

On top of the engine there is a sensor, but that one is for oil temperature, I think. I took that sensor out and it's full of oil, so i'm guessing it's for oil temp or level.

The only part of the engine i couldn't look is behind the engine. I will go today to find some tools to lift the car so i can take a better look.

I was hopping to find the location before buying additional lifting tools .. but it seams nobody changed the sensor on 1.6 FSI mk4 .. :(

·
Shell's best customer
3,227 Posts
sorry about the location of my post. i searched the forum and i couldn't find a related topic to my golf :(

Can an admin move my post to mk4 threads?

Thanks HTH.

On top of the engine there is a sensor, but that one is for oil temperature, I think. I took that sensor out and it's full of oil, so i'm guessing it's for oil temp or level.

The only part of the engine i couldn't look is behind the engine. I will go today to find some tools to lift the car so i can take a better look.

I was hopping to find the location before buying additional lifting tools .. but it seams nobody changed the sensor on 1.6 FSI mk4 .. :(
HTH is actually "hope that helps". Sorry for the confusion.

The sensor you removed was likely the cam sensor, it's directly on top of the engine, and when you remove it you'll see the cams below. It will be covered in oil as it's directly inside the cam cover. On the front of the engine, same side, is the oil pressure sensor.

The level sensor is on the bottom of the sump.

·
Registered
3 Posts
:) I though it's your signature :)

today I spent 50 pounds on a jack and some other lifting equipment, lifted the car and I got under it.

After 2 hours of looking around, i found 2 more sensors behind the engine.

One on the left behind the engine, but it doesn't look like the crankshaft sensor.

there is another on the right, again behind the engine, but it has a different connector.

Any ideas where it might be?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts