Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Mokeylock
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night i managed to break one of my engine mounts... again!! Last summer the side engine mount went also.

I've finally decided to go for all 3 VF engineering mounts but i just wanted to know which one would replace the 'bottom engine support arm' which is apparently what's gone this time. Is it 1, 2 or 3? (btw, these are the 3 i'm getting hopefully)

1) VF Engineering Pendulum Arm

Posted Image

2) VF Engineering Transmission Side Engine Mount

Posted Image

3) VF Engineering Side Engine Mount

Posted Image

cheers

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Yes, it's also known as a torque restrictor/mount. It doesn't really support the engine as such, just stops it twisting about the two side mounts (number 2 and 3) which are the ones that actually support the weight of the engine. If any of the mounts is knackered you'll end up sending a lot more vibration to the other mounts and potentially breaking them, which is what sounds like has happened to you. Replace them all [Y] VF Engineering kit also adds loadsa bling points [H]

·
Mokeylock
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Does anyone know how long it should take a garage to replace all 3 engine mounts? I'm still waiting for them to arrive but I wanted to have an estimate so I know if i'm being overcharged.

cheers

·
Mokeylock
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Do you guys know where I can get these mounts from? I ordered them from JBR Performance 11 days ago and all i got was an invoice and e-mail from them saying they'll let me know when the parts will arrive. I am still trying to contact them back but without luck! Really hating their service and i would prefer to buy the mounts from someone else.

·
Mokeylock
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Finally got them...

I managed to take a few pics of them before dashing out to the garage... i'll let you guys know what i think of them once they're on

Posted Image

·
Mokeylock
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
As the mechanic was fitting the engine mounts I went to the garage and he told me that the old engine mounts aren't broken at all. The problem I have is slightly different but I didn't totally understand him so I was hoping someone could help me out.

Apparently there's something else holding the engine and gearbox together, he kept referring to it as a "thread"… what happened is because of slamming the gears into place fast, I've worn it out. Apparently it's loose and what he's going to do is replace it with a bigger one for now (a kind of a custom job). He said that I might still get the same problem again if I slam the gears in, especially in first…. He said if it happens again the only way to fix it is by changing the gearbox…!!!

I'm still not sure what this part does and how it looks like. I then went back to the VW diagnostic of the problem and this is what they said: "Bottom engine support arm broken and bolt missing (has been modified)." Ok I knew this part but then this is what caught my attention, the word "thread" appears here also.. They said: "Thread in back bolt ingress damaged at gearbox; can replace support to original one but may happen again due to suspension modified".

So what's this thread in back bolt?

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
I guess they mean the thread for the bolt that holds the lower dogbone mount into the gearbox is knackered and the bolt could come out, i imagine your'e mechanic fill fit a helicoil insert to restore the thread.

Be prepared for increased vibrations if you fit that lot !

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Sounds like you've stripped the thread off of one of the bolts.

By hard shifting from high revs there is a lot of movement in the engine/gearbox and I guess you've fatigued the bolt.

Your mechanic has tapped the thread over size so he can replace the bolt (with a bigger one as you say).

I
think you should put the VF mounts on as this should stiffen the
engine/gearbox config up and reduce movement. It will put more
vibration through the car though.

·
Mokeylock
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thanx guys, ok that's making more sense. I just tried to call the mechanic to check if it is the dogbone threat or another one but he's off for the day. Car wont be ready today either, hopefully monday.

I'm glad that the VF mounts should stiffent the engine/gearbox config, I've been dreading it might make the problem worse. As far as more vibrations through the car I dont mind that so much.

thanx again fellas

·
Mokeylock
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
"Thread in back bolt ingress damaged at gearbox"

would that be the bolt in the bottom right hand side pic, where the red arrow is pointing at? (not the bolts pointing up) is that the gearbox part?

Posted Image

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
I have circled in blue the bolt that would have broken the thread. This is the only bolt of the dogbone mount that is attached to the gearbox.

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
Agree with Mo it's the bolt circled in blue i'd imagine, don't worry the vf ones are damn solid and my engine barely moves now when you crack open the throttle and i don't have the vf dog bone.

·
Mokeylock
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanx Mo & Tom. So I shouldn't worry too much once he's threaded a new hole? or should I think of it as a constant weak link and not expect it to hold long? I might be at a better position to make this judgement once I get the car back but I'm just worrying ....

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.