Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok time to change to a better Broadband ISP me thinks

I've been with BT Broadband since they launch their 512Mb and then upgraded to both 1Mb and then free upgrade to 2Mb but their prices and the download capping they want to introduce seems silly so my questions is, who's better out there?

I'm currently looking at going with UKOnline and either the 2Mb @ ?15 or the 8Mb @ ?25 seeing as the only price difference BT want to give me is a ?3 off each month on a new 12month contract [:mad:] With UKOnline there's no capping which is a real plus [;)] and a contention ratio of only 33:1

Any advice is gratefully received and I am about to do another search to see if I can find more info on any suck-like topics already posted. [:D]

·
Registered
132 Posts
Im looking at Zen or F2S as im with talk talk at present and its fine
until you use p2p then they changed there T&C's and capped it from
4pm till 1pm . Zen is dearer (?29.99 p/m 2mg) but ive learnt that u get
what u pay for

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
[N] No please don?t think twice about ukoffline, I first signed
up with ukoffline in September thinking I got a great deal, then a couple of
weeks after they said there?s a problem and we cant get you online due to some imaginary
problem with my line which a later found out was absolute bull! everything went
downhill from there, sent loads of letters and called every week asking for
updates as they didn?t even bother to call me once, but to cut a long story
short I reported them to Ofcom and e-mailed the director and got all my money
back as they charged me even though I never actually got a connection with
them, anyway the day I left I signed up with Nildram, and have been with them
for a month now on 8mb contract currently only 2mbs as I cant get 8 as yet in
my area, monthly fee is ?25.99, usage is 50gb per month and carried over if not
used. Nildram also offer a online webpage user control panel which allows you
to view usage and modify your account without picking up the fone! I?m pretty
sure I?m not the only one who`s had a bad experience with ukonline, I found the
below thread just after a joined with nildram,

Wish I had seen it sooner, for others thinking of going with
ukonline please take a minute to check it out as it would be a real shame for
someone else to go through the hassle and headache that I had to go though,
good luck ! [:)]

http://www.grumbletext.co.uk/vt.php?t=422&subj=complaints+UKOnline+complaint

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
Im with Bulldog at the moment and have had 100% perfect service. On a 2
month special right now, ?10.50/mo for 8MB. Importantly as I just moved
in, the did the line for free too. Very impressed and get 7.2Mbps
minimum, but don't want to spend ?40 a month (after the 2 month trial)
so will downgrade to 2MB or switch to someone like Wanadoo (no contract
with Bulldog).

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advice guys [:D]

Looks like I'll be staying with BT a little while longer and look further into it. No rush anyhow and I'd rather have internet connection then hassles from a new ISP.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Thanks for the advice guys [:D]

Looks like I'll be staying with BT a little while longer and look
further into it. No rush anyhow and I'd rather have internet connection
then hassles from a new ISP.
Long PM sent [:)]

·
Registered
254 Posts
Hi all
I am currently with f2s and have been with them for about 8 months now and have never had a problem with them i migrated from ndo and the line was up and running on the date stated just dropped my new details into my router and away i went i am on the ?19.99 a month package which gives me 10gig a month download wich i have never hit have come close occasionally when i have been running bittorrent clients for a few days, I am just awaiting a email from them after a complaint to them about someone running a hacking tool on their network which my router picked up but they more more than interested in the details when i gave them a call

Hope this gives you a better idea

Another option is goto www.adslguide.org.uk and click on the compare tab and s elect ther big names from the list and see how badly they do against the smaller companys you will be very suprised at the results

·
Registered
861 Posts
from me another vote for bulldog. Ive 2meg connection with no cap and i have had no problems with slowdowns. paying 19.99 a month.

big plus is the fact that there is no download cap.

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
Mark,

I'm with BT and have never hit the download limit.

Biggest plus with being with BT is when things go wrong, they have the resources to fix it quite quickly and painlessly that's if you can get past the auto-phone server thingy.

P.S. Hows work ?

You did post and say Polestar were going into admin ?

I take it everything is ok now ? The factory at the bottom of my garden is still working !

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
I've got my broadband connection in London and Reading with Plus

www.plus.com

akotecha.plus.com as a referral if you sign up with them! [;)]

I'm paying 15quid a month (broadband plus) in London and 22quid a month (broadband premier) in Reading. To be honest, I've not noticed any difference between the two and both are 2mb lines. I'll be converting the premier to plus in the near future!

Edit: Also check out www.adslguide.org.uk for a comparison of the ISPs!

·
Old School UkMkivs Member
2,166 Posts
Check out www.freenetname.com

I have been with them from dial-up and now on broadband

I get 2.2Mbps speed, 5GB limit a month for ?17.99 a month. Speed is soon to be increased to 8Mbps for the same price.

Current deal is 3 months for ?9.99 then ?17.99 a month thereafter, free modem, filters and connection. Plus you also get your own domain (web address) for free meaning you can make up your own email address and even create your own web page and site if you fancy it.

I have never had any reason to fault them, very highly recommended.

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
No ones mentioned AOL so I shall!

Everyone forgets that AOL is not capped in the slightest, you can download as much as you like through the month and in 6 years with them have never had a problem, though they are a little more expensive. Thing is I dont mind paying a bit more for the service I get.

I'm in the IT field, so so are a lot of my mates, and I know quite of few of the field engineers I work with are also on AOL, so theres got to be something in it.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Colleague of mine had AOL but they don't allow IPSEC tunnels to be established, something we use when accessing the office VPN using the Cisco client. They ended up switching to BT!

EDIT: AOL Sales had also told them that it would would but Tech Support said it wasn't possible. They ended up cancelling the 12 month contract as it was mis-sold

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
I'm with F2S and not had a single problem with them whatsoever. [Y]

I wouldn't touch AOHELL at all.

And don't even go near Tiscali

Sometimes you do get what you pay for and choosing a reliable ISP is in my opinion one of those cases.

Tiscali for instance came out offering one of the cheapest packages but my word was their service crap.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I'm with Blueyonder, I now get 4mb for ?25.00 per month.  The service I have received has always been good but sometimes the E-mail can be a problem, but otherwise I would recommend them.

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
No ones mentioned AOL so I shall!

Everyone forgets that AOL is not capped in the slightest, you can download as much as you like through the month and in 6 years with them have never had a problem, though they are a little more expensive. Thing is I dont mind paying a bit more for the service I get.

I'm in the IT field, so so are a lot of my mates, and I know quite of few of the field engineers I work with are also on AOL, so theres got to be something in it.
G, as a relatively knowledgeable fellow you might be able to help out on this. Many years ago I abandoned AOL when I needed to share the old dial up connection between machines. And found I couldnt, because no GUI, no dialup. After some extensive chats with some fantastic tech's over in Ireland I think it was, they basically confessed up and said "we've dug high and low, we can't find a way, because of the unique encryption and connection rubbish we use".

So I left. Before I headed over to Eclipse's ADSL I did look at AOL, but ADSL was still new and nobody would guarantee me an answer as to whether this would be shareable between computers without the ugly GUI issue rearing it's head.

The question is - AOL Broadband - shareable amongst PCs?? Can you use your own kit and routers?? And if you know the answer off hand, can you get a /29 subnet with them as well (I'd miss my IPs otherwise!). Have contemplated running back to them a couple of times now.

Ta mate (sorry for the minor tangent folks! [y])

C

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
The question is - AOL Broadband - shareable amongst PCs?? Can you use your own kit and routers??
I know people who've done it, but don't ask me, AOL has its own world and is one of those things I'll never, ever understand, along with eBay, the offside rule and that sport where they chuck a kettle shaped object along some ice then frantically scrub the ice in its path with broomsticks.

EDIT: Is Dynamic DNS any use to you http://www.dydns.com/

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
You can share AOL using a netgear dg834g router, it's one of the one of the ones they support. They'll talk you through the setup of it.

They won't issue you with a /29 block and I'm not sure if they'll even issue a static ip but if you can get a static ip, nothing PAT can't sort out for home use but then I guess it depends on what you're going with your additional ips I guess.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts